Community Chest 4
Community Chest 4 (cchest4.wad) is a 2012 megawad that contains 32 new levels, made by members of the Doomworld community. It requires a Boom-compatible source port with increased SEGS limits to play. It is the third sequel to Community Chest, preceded by Community Chest 3. It was released on August 17, 2012. It received both a normal award and the Mordeth Award during the 2012 Cacowards.
Planning for Community Chest 4 began on November 25, 2007, four days after the release of Community Chest 3. Among the planned elements were a texture resource pack to be used as a base for level design; this pack is included with the final release. As in previous Community Chests, designers reserved slots and designed their levels to fill that slot; for this project, the full set of completed levels would then be rearranged based on difficulty and size.
Development began on June 5, 2008, around half a year earlier than intended, and it was originally lead by Eric Baker (The Green Herring) and Death-Destiny, the latter of whom pushed for the June starting date. Due to controversy surrounding his behavior while leading Claustrophobia 1024, Death-Destiny left the community on October 19, 2008, less than half a year later. This was followed by a three-year period in which progress was slow, due to designers failing to complete their levels within a reasonable time period even after two submission deadlines were enforced. Many of them signed up for the project and started their levels with enthusiasm, only to resign or disappear after a few months at most. This continued even after Baker changed the submission rules on February 8, 2010, so that designers only had to fill "episodes" with the appropriate number of levels rather than specific slots. It was only after a level design drive was started by James Cresswell (Phobus) on September 8, 2011, and a deadline was set for November 16, 2011, that the level roster was finally completed.
In the six months that followed, Baker tested each level in the WAD and fixed whichever bugs he and the internal playtesting team encountered, releasing four beta versions in all. On July 27, 2012, a public beta version of the WAD was released, making it the first Community Chest to be tested this way. New public beta versions of the WAD were subsequently released every Monday during the next three weeks, the first two of which were playtested by ZDaemon users during the source port's "Thursday Night Survival" sessions. Finally, on August 17, 2012, the WAD was released.
On September 9, 2012, a second release was made which fixed bugs discovered after the WAD was released. This was followed on September 12, 2012 by a hotfix which corrected a bug on MAP29: Spiritual Holocaust that could prevent 100% Kills. On October 19, 2012, another hotfix was released to fix a similar bug on MAP17: Metastasize, which was followed by an update the next day to correct a bug on MAP18: Suburbia that allowed players to trap themselves outside of the level.
- MAP01: Renewed Faith by William Huber
- MAP02: Slugfest by Paul DeBruyne (skillsaw)
- MAP03: Three is a Charm by James Cresswell (Phobus)
- MAP04: Polluted Paths by Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two)
- MAP05: Installation Decrepit by Alice Jameson
- MAP06: Survival Instincts by Adam Windsor
- MAP07: Hoedown by James Cresswell (Phobus)
- MAP08: Cold Reception by Mithran Denizen
- MAP09: Ochregerde by William Huber
- MAP10: Inner Fear by Ronald Lubbelinkhof (Dutch Devil)
- MAP11: The Grotto by Chrisbo Sonnekins (Christoph) and Josh Sealy (Joshy)
- MAP12: Nectar of the Gods by Eric Baker (The Green Herring)
- MAP13: Viral Implant by James Cresswell (Phobus)
- MAP14: Downriver by Eli Cohen (ProcessingControl)
- MAP15: Decomposition by Lord Z
- MAP16: The Forgotten Base by Keeper of Jericho
- MAP17: Metastasize by Andy Leaver
- MAP18: Suburbia by James Paddock (Jimmy) and Brett Harrell (Mechadon)
- MAP19: Technoprison by Josh Sealy (Joshy)
- MAP20: Interstellar Sickness by Chris Kassap (lupinx-Kassman)
- MAP21: Shaman's Device by Chris Kassap (lupinx-Kassman)
- MAP22: Hell's Limits by C30N9
- MAP23: Melting Universe II by Walter Confalonieri
- MAP24: Detachment by Matt Devlin (Shadow Dweller)
- MAP25: Nightmare Complex by Kim Bach (Torn)
- MAP26: Reaper's Digest by Kristian Aro
- MAP27: Vulcana II by Paul Corfiatis
- MAP28: Crucifix Held Close by William Huber
- MAP29: Spiritual Holocaust by Christian Lian
- MAP30: Ragnarok by Josh Sealy (Joshy)
- MAP31: Mortar Combat by Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two)
- MAP32: Mutare by Jeffrey Nordin
Easter egg level
There is an additional level included in this WAD which cannot be accessed normally. To reach it, you must use a command line argument, a cheat code, or a console command depending on your source port of choice.
- MAP35: Midnight Tek Frenzy by Brian Knox (Snakes)
- MAP01: Ninja Warriors - Final Boss Theme (MIDI by Robert Hansson)
- MAP02: Gundam Wing: Endless Duel - Sand Rock's Theme (MIDI by cyahin)
- MAP03: Robert Prince - "They're Going to Get You" (from Doom)
- MAP04: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Few"
- MAP05: Robert Prince - "The Dave D. Taylor Blues" (from Doom II: Hell on Earth)
- MAP06: Robert Prince - "Into Sandy's City" (from Doom II: Hell on Earth)
- MAP07: Robert Prince - "Hiding the Secrets" (from Doom)
- MAP08: Sonic Mayhem - "Quad Machine" (from Quake II)
- MAP09: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Starting Out" (from Plutonia 2)
- MAP10: James Paddock (Jimmy) - "Icicles"
- MAP11: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Grotto"
- MAP12: Eric Baker (The Green Herring) - "It's Gonna Be A Rough Ride"
- MAP13: Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit - Aquilla 303 (MIDI by Rapidkirby3k)
- MAP14: Mark Klem - "Anchor" (from Memento Mori II)
- MAP15: Metallica - "Creeping Death"
- MAP16: Robert Prince - "Waiting for Romero to Play" (from Doom II: Hell on Earth)
- MAP17: Frank Klepacki - "Mechanical Man" (from Command & Conquer)
- MAP18: James Paddock (Jimmy) - "Shrouded In Darkness" (based on "In the Dark" by Robert Prince)
- MAP19: James Paddock (Jimmy) - "Technoprisoners"
- MAP20: Mega Man 9 - "We're the Robots" (MIDI by Jace)
- MAP21: Steam-Heart's - "Against Nirvana" (MIDI by MaliceX)
- MAP22: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Hell's Limits"
- MAP23: Robert Prince - "Countdown to Death" (from Doom II: Hell on Earth)
- MAP24: TNT: Evilution - MAP04: Wormhole music
- MAP25: Mike Cody - "Fate of the Damned" (from Blood)
- MAP26: Kristian Aro - "The Demons from Shawn's Pen remix (Doom E2M2 remix)" (from Whispers of Satan; based on "The Demons from Adrian's Pen" by Robert Prince)
- MAP27: Kristian Aro - "Last Man Standing (Sacraficial Symphony)" [sic] (from Whispers of Satan)
- MAP28: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin - "Crucifix Held Close" (MIDI by Jayster)
- MAP29: Maxime Tondreau - "Crawling Vermin" (from Planet of Cartmans 2)
- MAP30: Josh Simpson (EarthQuake) - "Hell Reigns Down"
- MAP31: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Mortar Combat"
- MAP32: Jeffrey Nordin - "Jerub Baal"
- MAP35: Lee Jackson - "Where Iz It?" (from Rise of the Triad)
- Title screen music: Eric Baker (The Green Herring) - "At Last, It has Arrived"
- Intermission screen music: Eric Baker (The Green Herring) - "The Destiny of Death"
- Text screen music: Stuart Rynn (Forty-Two) - "Victory"
As with the previous entry, Community Chest 4 features a full set of built-in demos. They were again recorded by Eric Baker (The Green Herring), this time using PrBoom+ 184.108.40.206 with the -complevel 9 parameter for Boom compatibility. The demos levels for the megawad are:
|DEMO1||MAP06: Survival Instincts||1:36.06|
|DEMO2||MAP12: Nectar of the Gods||1:46.37|
|DEMO3||MAP28: Crucifix Held Close||1:12.49|