Doom Wiki:Central Processing
This is the central discussion forum for wiki editing and administration activity on the Doom Wiki. Feel free to ask any questions or pose any concerns you have here, and you should receive a response shortly. Check the archived discussions for older threads.
Big fat list of Vfd
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm laying here a list of articles that are currently (as of today, I mean) in a VfD. I know there is a category but I'll just leave this here, along with the dates, which I think are important.
Aquarius199 (Talk page), nominated by Grain of Salt on 27 August 2013. Reason: not notable. Look also: NiTROACTiVe, which is a redirect to this page.Closed by Quasar as keep. Duration: 11 months 18 days.
Talk page), nominated by Quasar on 6 October 2013.Closed by (Gez as delete. Duration: 10 months 17 days.
- Bruiser Demon (Beastiary) (Talk page), nominated by Gez on 11 February 2011. Reason: Sorry, but it's not policy to create pages for individual resources..
- Cut scene psychosis (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 27 November 2011.
Talk page), nominated by Justice Infinity on 2 July 2013. Reason: Unreleased wad.Closed by (Ryan W as delete. Duration: 1 year 1 month 14 days.
- Doomguy 2000 (Talk page), nominated by Grain of Salt on 28 October 2012. Reason: not notable.
Doomguy's Warzone Gold Edition (Talk page), nominated by Obsidian on 21 December 2012.Closed by Quasar as keep. Duration: 2 years 3 months 27 days.
- Dynamite Trap ( Psychophobia WAD) (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 3 March 2013.
EnPro Plant (Talk page), nominated by Quasar on 2 August 2013.Closed by Quasar as keep. Duration: 1 year 6 months 11 days.
- Flemoid (Talk page), nominated by Justice Infinity on 22 June 2012.
- Lamp (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 26 December 2011.
- Doom Wiki:List of common contractions (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 25 February 2013.
- Plutonia Girl (Talk page), nominated by Justice Infinity on 14 June 2013.
- Robocop (Talk page), nominated by Janizdreg on 20 December 2006 and then by Gez on 26 February 2014.
Sammis (Talk page), nominated by Insertwackynamehere on 25 November 2006.Replaced with merge nomination by Quasar, as per current talk page consensus. Duration: 8 years 2 months 28 days.
- Stweaps (Talk page), nominated by Gez on 2 March 2013. Reason: not really notable, no mention of author or release date, download link doesn't work.
Total Ruin (Talk page), nominated by Quasar on 4 June 2014.Closed by Quasar as redirect. Duration: 1 month 23 days.
Also, these categories:
- Generic features (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 6 May 2012.
- UV max (Talk page), nominated by Unmaker on 30 October 2012. Reason: I think this cat proved unnecessary.
- UV speed (Talk page), nominated by Unmaker on 30 October 2012.
Also, these files:
Doom23.gif (Talk page), nominated by Jartapran on 5 August 2013. Reason: The thumbnail of the picture is broken.Closed by Ryan W as keep. Duration: 1 year 6 months 21 days.
Favicon.ico (Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 25 February 2013.Closed by Ryan W as keep. Duration: 2 years 2 days.
Talk page), nominated by Ryan W on 13 March 2014.Closed by (Quasar as delete. Duration: 11 months 7 days.
- Screenshot Doom 20110211 185308.png (Talk page), nominated by Janizdreg on 14 February 2011.
- About the Bruiser Demon case, my opinion three years later would be that maybe the policy ought to be rethought. I think there is some justification for having pages on individual resources when they are notable enough. Many custom monsters have become more-or-less standard staples (and I'm not talking just about custom ZDoom monsters here, DeHackEd wonderkids like the evil marines or the afrit are memorable and noteworthy) and I've seen them discussed casually in Doomworld threads that weren't specifically about them. And we do have individual articles for one specific kind of resource already (maps), so given the emergence of gameplay mods which do not have maps but do change monsters and weapons, it might be time to allow individual articles for other resources than maps. Just to be clear though, I think this should be reserved for memorable resources that have been used in several high-profile works and where the behavior has known little or no alteration between their various versions. So the Bruiser Demon (KDIZD, Stronghold, ZDCMP2...) would qualify, but the upside-down orange caco from Zen Dynamics (and AFAIK no other mod) wouldn't. --Gez (talk) 13:32, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- I agree for the most part, but it's important IMO that we very strongly distinguish between these resource monsters and the original ones. For example, having them in their own category (not just Monsters, but maybe User-created monsters or some other suitable subcat). --Quasar (talk) 14:35, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
- As a side note, the proposed speedy deletion criteria would only affect two of these, Doom23.gif and Ralphis.jpg (and the first might need to stay until the glitch gets fixed, can't remember). Ryan W (talk) 23:16, 1 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm apt to agree except for how massive the article starts to get. I think last year has a record number of issues that should still be considered open and actionable. It's getting to the point where I might have to consider having something more effective for tracking them, like a Bugzilla instance somewhere for example. --Quasar (talk) 14:24, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
January 2015 upgrade
manc and I will be attempting to upgrade the wiki to MediaWiki 1.24.1 as of tomorrow, assuming all goes to plan. This time it seems that the only major question is the EmbedVideo plugin (as usual), so that's one thing that will need immediate verification after the upgrade. --Quasar (talk) 15:32, 28 January 2015 (UTC)
- We are now up and running on MediaWiki 1.24.1 - a couple minor issues remain, and I'm still testing some stuff. Report anything you find here. --Quasar (talk) 03:56, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- It seems most of our extensions were not upgraded, so a number of them are currently broken. Currently known to not be working:
- Will keep this list updated until the situation is resolved. --Quasar (talk) 20:08, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
- I have updated all extensions except EmbedVideo. So far everything is working, but it's impossible to test that much stuff exhaustively. --SpiderMastermind (talk) 23:43, 30 January 2015 (UTC)
Group image VfD
Following up an IRC conversation, I have opened a deletion thread for 57 images recently added to Enter the Doom Chapter I: Lucido Attack and Enter the Doom Chapter 2: Legacy. Please feel free to contribute your opinions here. Ryan W (talk) 00:02, 3 February 2015 (UTC)
Strife minor characters
Please comment on or help advance the status of the three merger requests for Strife minor characters Ketrick, Sammis, and Ulaine. Of the existing articles, these are the only ones that I feel should be merged. All three are explained in Strife minor characters - Hub 1. --Quasar (talk) 19:22, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- I think the merge is a good idea. MacGuffin could be considered a minor character as well, but I guess he is unique enough for a separate article. --Jartapran (talk) 00:52, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
- MacGuffin is borderline but there are SEO considerations for him if nothing else redeems him; we are linked to from at least tvtropes for our article on him. I think a big enough deal is made out of him, similarly to Worner, for him to have his own page. Sammis, while he does possess a plot-important key, is never referred to in the third person by anyone else (they all tell you to go to Ketrick instead, who is actually a red herring), and can be killed without ever talking to him in order to get the key. It's a gray zone but I prefer we keep most of the well-written, already pictured character articles. It's a small set that will never grow any larger. Speaking of pics, I will be adding some to the minor characters pages when I can get around to it. --Quasar (talk) 01:18, 26 February 2015 (UTC)
Add autocheck to Jartapran
I think User:Jartapran is a good candidate to try out the "autochecked" group permission on, as he is already an editor and reviewer and has demonstrated universally high quality of editing and willingness to work together on various important projects. I've suggested he mull over requesting admin rights, but would like to try out that permission on him in the meanwhile. Put it to a vote here. --Quasar (talk) 22:15, 3 March 2015 (UTC)
- Jartapran pointed out that editors already have autocheck, so we determined that the missing permission was in fact autopatrol, which only admins currently had. I added autopatrol to the reviewers group, which currently includes Jartapran and DoomAD besides admins who are implicit members, since it seems logical enough. --Quasar (talk) 19:07, 4 March 2015 (UTC)