|Initial release||0.9.1 (2005-08-30, 10 years ago)|
|Latest release||2.0.05 / 1.8.10 (2014-12-27, 13 months ago)|
|Target Platform||Windows and Linux|
|License||Doom Source License, 3-point BSD, others|
|IRC Channel||Esper.net #zdoom|
GZDoom is a ZDoom-based port which is maintained by Christoph Oelckers (Graf Zahl). It was first released on August 30, 2005 and runs in Linux and Windows. Its development was temporarily halted on April 14, 2010, with development resuming in 2014.
On January 19, 2008, development of the port was put on hold until another official release of ZDoom is made, due to highly extensive changes to the ZDoom renderer (which consequently require extensively changing the OpenGL rendering code for compatibility) coming more frequently than Graf Zahl could catch up. An official release of ZDoom was made on February 14, 2008, and version 1.1.0 of GZDoom was released shortly afterward incorporating the changes from that version.
On April 14 2010, Graf Zahl announced on the Doomworld forums that development of GZDoom had halted. He stated his reasons as having no time to work on it, and that he was frustrated by numerous complaints about the port's lack of compatibility with ATI video cards. Graf Zahl took down the website and all its subfolders, making GZDoom temporarily unavailable except from its mirrors. The site has since been restored.
In 2014, work on GZDoom's renderer resumed. Upon release of 2.0 on August 2, 2014, OpenGL 2.x support was dropped, as the renderer was rewritten to use OpenGL 3.x and OpenGL 4.4, albeit in compatibility mode.
- All ZDoom features
- Rudimentary support for Doom Legacy (To run existing Legacy mods like Ni'mRoD:IXNAY on the HOMBRE)
- OpenGL renderer, allowing the following features:
- Full 3D floors (including slopes)
- Reflective floors
- Dynamic lights, brightmaps, glowing flats, custom hardware shaders
- Quake II/Half-Life-style skyboxes in addition to regular ZDoom skyboxes
- Optional High-quality (HQnX) rescaling filters for graphics, sprites and textures
- MD2, MD3 and DMD model support
- GZDoom was originally based on PrBoom, with some added code from Doom Legacy. This version was never released.
- GZDoom website (contains old versions of the port, see links below for newer releases)
- Compiled development builds for Windows at DRD Team
- GZDoom documentation at the ZDoom wiki
- GZDoom 2.0.05 / 1.8.10 download
- Oelckers, Christoph (4 December 2015). "How do you learn how to build source ports?." Doomworld Forums. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|
|GZDoom for OS X|
|Tower of Babel|