A joke WAD is a WAD file which is made as a joke. In some cases, a level may be so bad that it is hard to tell whether it is merely badly designed or a joke WAD of some sort, such is the case for wow.wad.
Varieties of joke WADs
Joke WADs may take one of several forms:
- Parodies of badly made WAD files: these may include deliberate bugs, look generally sloppy, or use ridiculous graphics. Note that this does not always preclude good game-play.
- Some joke WADs may take the engine to ridiculous extremes, such as by including an unreasonable number of monsters in a single room or creating levels which break Doom's limitations on purpose.
- Some joke wads are created as a parody or homage to a community event. Most famous of these is perhaps the dwforums.wad series.
- Some others use funny sounds or funny sprites.
Example joke WADs
- For a more comprehensive list, see Category:Joke WADs.
Mockery and derivatives
The Mockery TC was started in 1998 to parody other WADs that were full of poor design and bad attention to detail. Screenshots that were released demonstrate techniques such as huge rooms with long-distance projectile throwing monsters and mix-and-match slime and blood walls and floors.
The mockery TC was never finished and is considered long-abandoned. This may be due to a lack of interest in the project (the joke having been delivered without having to complete the WAD), or perhaps it was deliberately abandoned, as a reference to the long tradition of unfinished TCs.
Mock 2: The Speed of Stupid is an unofficial sequel to Mockery which was released and was designed to not look like a serious wad (but remains fun to play). Techniques employed include using levels randomly generated by Slige. This megawad contains 41 levels (31 thru 40 are a connected chain of secret levels; 41 is the "ending" level).
nuts.wad and derivatives
NOTE: Nuts has been proven possible to play, and easily beat by the utilization of source ports and monster infighting. If the player is not concerned about 100% kills and is using a port that disables infinitely tall monsters, the level is relatively easy; all the player has to do is straferun over the heads of the first wave of monsters until reaching the exit arena, and then surf on arch-vile blasts to the exit switch.
- , by the author of Nuts
- , by the author of Nuts
- , by Biohazard
- Boom and created by Bejiitas_Wrath , requiring
dwforums.wad and sequels
The original dwforums joke WAD was created to parody the community which centered around the Doomworld forums. It was popular enough to warrant two sequels. The first lampooned the #zdoom IRC channel and was released on Doom's 10 birthday. The second was designed as a re-enactment of events that took place on the Newdoom forums.
The series was released anonymously, but according to a post made by Andrew "Linguica" Stine in 2006, Mike "Cyb" Watson created the first two dwforums WADs. Linguica stated that he himself made the third with some help from Cyb. 
Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons
Some joke WADs use funny sounds, funny sprites or funny environments, for example the first versions of Kansam's Trial heavily uses funny sounds in normal Doom levels.