MAP16: Deepest Reaches (TNT: Evilution)
|TNT: Evilution maps 11-20|
MAP16: Deepest Reaches is the sixteenth map of TNT: Evilution. It was designed by Andre Arsenault and uses a music track shared with MAP26: Ballistyx. In the Sony PlayStation port it uses the music track "A Calm Panic Rises". Unlike the others thus far, it takes place in a deep, dark subterranean hell-style setting.
The level is notable for featuring a wide variety of environments. The player will encounter a pool of molten rock, damp gray caverns flowing with water, a dry altar area, as well as a red grotto with glowing walls. In the west, there is a wooden hall, while at the eastern end, there is another hall made of green marble. As the level contains a water cavern, this is one of the few maps in Evilution to have waterfalls.
First, kill the enemies in the starting room, then collect all needed items. Open the door to get into an open area. Get to the southern side by either jumping over the rocks or dropping into the lava and lowering the southern brown pillar with super shotgun on it (not safe). When you will be on the southern side, squeeze into a passage between two green torches. Two doors are before you but you now need the one on your right (southwest). Remember this closet room because you will need to get here later.
Enter the aforementioned door, then rise on the stairs to get into a wooden room reminding a library. There is a wooden structure in the middle, so walk left and turn right. You will see a dead hanging body, some items and a blue skull button. Press it. This will reveal the rest of the "library" with a corridor upstairs. In the south and west of the room there are two staircases. Use any and find and press a skull button in this corridor (west). The button has revealed a cave to descend into for you, so go downstairs and head into the now opened wooden wall in the east of the room. Descend down into a watery cave. Collect needed items here if you want. Head into a forkway east of the cave. Go down the stairs and pass the room on your right. You will see a marble room at the bottom of the cave. Ignore it for now and turn right and head into a teleporter which will lead you into a small closet with the blue skull key. Grab the key and head into another teleporter ahead. Go back to the place where you have seen two doors with one of them leading to the "library".
Tip: if you want to get there faster, grab the key in the blue key closet and reuse the teleporter you just came into. This will lead you straight to that room.
Use the door leading southeast. In the next room, you can see two red torches and a river. Go ahead into a lift. At the bottom, press the lion switch to open the door. Use the stairs leading down. Here, you can see an altar and an inverted crucifix with a red key within, but you can't access this one. Go into the blue door. Rise on the stairs. You will see a very tall pit. Do not fall and go left into a red cave. In the cave, proceed all the way south towards a dead end with a red wall. You can actually lower this wall as a lift. This will lead you to another cave. Go to northwest of the cave to find the yellow skull key floating over a star shaped figure with a sky glimpse.
Now, return to the entrance of the first cave, red. This time, go to the north of the cave. Here is a small hole. Drop into it to get into a third cave which has a tan color. Go to the northwest here. You should now be raised on a platform. After the platform has finished rising, enter a door here. This will lead you to the very beginning cave. Get back to the room of two doors once again.
Use the first door (southwest) again to get into a library. Descend down into a cave and proceed all the way east to the familiar steps leading down and the marble room mentioned in the first clause. Open the yellow door in this room.
You will see a scrolling ghosts wall here. Turn right and descend down to enter a large marble hall. You can collect items and kill the enemies here or you may wish to reach the western rooms for various weapons and items but doing all these is not required for completion. Get to the northern side of the hall and merely open a green tech door. There will be a teleport pad. Use it and you will be brought into a familiar area facing a switch not present before. Press it, and the stairs will be made leading down right here. Descend on them and press the button to finish the level.
- After passing through the first door, hug the wall to the left. When you come to a brightly-lit section of wall, open it to get a hidden box of ammo. (sector 32)
- Behind the blue door is a brown rocky path leading upwards. After following the stairs to the top, the path splits in two - go right, into the cave. Open the wall to the right (which is textured slightly different than the surrounding walls) to reveal a secret cave. Run to the back and wait until a BFG rises up from a crevasse in the ground, otherwise it will continue rising until it is unreachable. (sector 156)
- Return to the fork in the path from secret #2. This time go left, following the path alongside a cliff. When you reach the glowing red caves, immediately turn right and follow the narrow path until you reach a "window" looking out at a brown cave. Run northwest out of the window straight into the brown wall across from it, which is actually a false wall. You'll now be in a stone room with an Icon-of-Sin-faced wall. (sector 172) If you open this wall, a megasphere will be revealed.
- From secret #3, drop down into the previously mentioned brown cave area you jumped over to get here. The wall just southwest of here is colored slightly different than the surrounding ones. It's actually a lift; lower it and ride to the top. Continue through the door here and you'll arrive on a secret ledge overlooking the first outdoor area. (sector 25)
- In the large basin on the far east of the map, there is a switch lowering a platform to get access to the raised surrounding area. Behind the platform is a small gray-marble area with two doors: a red-key one and a normal one. The rest of these steps get you the red key.
- Behind that door is a room with three raised-demon or lion emblems. The emblem on the right opens when you shoot it.
- The area revealed behind the emblem has a switch: this lowers a platform in the adjacent green room. Stepping onto that platform opens a door right next to the platform. A switch behind that door opens one of the other two emblems in the first room.
- Behind that emblem is a cavern ending in a switch. The switch lowers a column in the green room.
- Behind the lowered column in the green room is another switch which lowers the platform opposite it. At the top of the platform is the red skull key.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:19||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-03-15||ev16-119.zip|
|NM speed||01:20||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-03-16||tn16-120.zip|
|UV max||04:32||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2005-02-08||ev16-432.zip|
|NM100S||01:31||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-03-16||es16-131.zip|
|UV -fast||06:49||Laura Herrmann (BahdKo)||2003-02-22||ef16-649.zip|
|UV -respawn||04:23||Laura Herrmann (BahdKo)||2003-02-24||er16-423.zip|
|UV Tyson||29:01||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-01-19||et162901.zip|
|UV pacifist||02:30||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-10-06||ep16-230.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on May 27, 2013.
|Monsters||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Barons of Hell||0||0||2|
|Powerups||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Weapons||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Ammunition||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Keys||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Barrels||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|