MAP31: Disarming the Mechanism (Community Chest 3)
|Community Chest 3 secret maps|
MAP31: Disarming the Mechanism is the secret level of Community Chest 3. It was designed by Chris Kassap (lupinx-Kassman), and was the author's sixth level. It uses a MIDI conversion, by Sephiroth3, of the music track "Old Sense" from Zero Wing, which plays in the "Submarine Tunnel" stage.
In this level, the hellspawn have armed a viral bomb at the core of the Theta Complex, with the intent of destroying the world. Your objective is to find the bomb, and disarm it within 30 minutes.
This level contains a secret exit leading to MAP32: Installation 07 Warszawa, which can only be reached by disarming the bomb. Completing this level through the normal exit takes the player to MAP16: Hangman's Noose.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
- Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- At the start of the level, open the door behind you to find a berserk. (sector 869)
- Once you have the yellow key, open the door to the southeast of the UAC insignia on the floor, and activate the switch inside to raise a bridge across the chasm. Cross the bridge and enter the building on the other end to find two bullet boxes, one box of shells, a megaarmor, and a partial invisibility. (sector 282)
- In the southernmost hallway west of the core, there is a wall with blue triangles upon it at the west side, which is glowing. Open this wall to obtain a computer area map. (sector 1445)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
Last verified on March 31, 2013.
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
|Heavy weapon dude||26||27||36|
|Baron of hell||5||5||5|
|Computer area map||1||1||1|
|Radiation shielding suit||1||1||1|
|Box of bullets||15||15||16|
|4 shotgun shells||36||36||46|
|Box of shotgun shells||4||4||4|
|Box of rockets||31||31||31|
|Energy cell pack||7||7||7|
Inspiration and development
The original "story" of this level was that the Nazis had taken over a base and had a bomb set to destroy Community Chest itself. The monitor at the normal exit also told the player that if they did not disarm the bomb, they would not reach "Shadow Dweller's level." All of this was changed at the request of playtester Eric Baker (The Green Herring), who felt this was an inappropriate break of the fourth wall.
Also, ironically enough, both map16 and map32 were made by Shadow Dweller.
This map is notable for utilizing the voodoo doll effect to simulate the timer by placing the doll in an isolated room full of explosive barrels and a very tall crusher. After approximately 30 minutes have passed and the player has not yet disarmed the bomb, the crusher reaches the barrels and crushes them, detonating the entire room and killing the player in the process. (unless the God mode cheat is enabled before it happens)