SLADE is a modern, open-source, cross-platform map editor (and, since version 3, also a WAD editor) for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux created and maintained by Simon Judd (with code contributions by Gez to version 3).
- SLADE 1 stopped at version 1.13, released on 23-05-2006.
- SLADE 2 reached beta on 07-06-2007, but was abandoned afterwards.
- SLADE 3 is currently in development. It is a merging of SLADE and SLumpEd.
 SLADE 3
- All SLumpEd features and more
- Lump manipulation in WADs and ZIPs (STORE and DEFLATE only at the moment)
- Ability to open archives-within-archives
- Ability to open many other game archive formats (Duke Nukem 3D GRP files, Blood RFF files, Shadowcaster DAT and LIB files, Quake PAK files, etc.)
- Support for many graphic picture formats, including:
- All those from the Doom Alphas and Beta
- All ZDoom-specific formats (IMGZ, FON1, FON2)
- The planar format used by the Hexen startup screen
- PNG including the grAb and alPh chunks, and many other standard formats (BMP, JPG, PCX, TGA, etc.)
- The formats used by Shadowcaster, Quake, Heretic II, Duke Nukem 3D, Rise of the Triad, and more
- Palette generation and modification
- Support for editing TEXTUREx lumps, including the Alpha and Strife variants
- Support for editing the Boom lumps SWITCHES and ANIMATED, including the SMMU and ZDoom additions
- Text editing of any lump
- Hex viewing of any lump
- A console
 Older versions
SLADE 1.13 or 2.00-beta have the following features:
- Support for Doom, Doom II, Heretic and Hexen games
- Support for Boom and ZDoom source port advanced features
- DECORATE parser
- Colour configurations
- 3D editing mode (including slopes and translucent textures)
- Uses wxWidgets for the user interface
- Easy line and rectangle drawing