Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl
Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl is a 2008 computer game which runs on the ZDoom engine. It was mainly developed by Stephen Browning, with ACS scripting by Mike Watson and James Bauer. It is the prequel to the total conversion Action Doom, but has a different style of gameplay. Whereas the first Action Doom was a sidescrolling shoot 'em up using Doom's first-person perspective, Action Doom 2 instead simulates a beat 'em up.
The game can run as a standalone either with version 2.3.0+ of ZDoom or with its own included executable, requiring no IWAD to run.
Outside of gameplay, the story is told mainly through black and white, film noir-style cutscenes inspired by Sin City. Darknation wrote most of the dialogue and cutscenes, while Mike Lightner contributed the voiceovers. The story can branch off in different paths depending on the player's actions, and features multiple possible endings.
The soundtrack was created entirely by Ralph Vickers.
On December 10, 2008, Action Doom 2 was one of the winners of the 2008 Cacowards.
Scattered throughout each level of Urban Brawl were unique specialty items which awarded the player 100,000 points. Additionally, discovering all 9 unique items revealed to the player the official contest website and how to win. Winners were...
- Dylan Sanchez
- Robert Yarborough
- Mike Ewer
There are six endings:
- You meet Peter Crisp, but he has a trap laid out for you. You get arrested and thrown in prison for life. (You blindly follow the bartender's advice to take a taxi - or you use a warp cheat to the final stage, skipping other critical triggers.)
- In the subway, you lost the lead to your daughter. (You entered the subway without first obtaining the lead, and didn't get knocked out.)
- In the abandoned house, you defeat Hugo without encountering the cop, and marry Mary and have two kids. You think you see your daughter after ten years. (This requires obtaining a secret on a previous level.)
- You hit Peter Crisp while he is carrying your daughter.
- You meet Peter Crisp and defeat all of his goons. However, your daughter turns against you.
- You meet Peter Crisp, defeat all of his goons, and shoot down the helicopter. (Missing the helicopter causes you to stand still and get gunned down, and is not a special ending in itself.)