Castle of Eternal Carrot in the Sky
|Castle of Eternal Carrot in the Sky|
Castle of Eternal Carrot in the Sky is a single-level PWAD created by Fredrik Johansson for Doom II in 2001. It requires a Boom-compatible source port and uses the music track "Castle of Eternal Carrot", title music "Ruska" and intermission music "Knight of Waffle", all created by Fredrik himself.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- After unlocking the northern area (beyond the yellow skull door), head to the northeast of this area and enter the red teleporter. This teleports you on top of a blood channel in the northwest of the map. Just before the channel ends in a bloodfall, drop off to the north. You will end up in a blood moat, with an invulnerability and two energy cells in the middle. Step onto the patch where these items are located to register the secret. (sector 1209)
- Also in the northern area, head into the structure with a white teleporter in the northeast. This will take you to a floating, invisible walkway surrounded by bars. Head to either end of this walkway, which faces a side of the main building in the southern part of the map. Notice two lion switches on each side of the building. Shoot all four switches, and the cyberdemons in each turret of the castle will be crushed. Head up onto the rampart of the castle, go to each turret and flip the four switches the cyberdemons were protecting. Finally, go to the exact northern part of the ramparts. Lower the wall and ride it up. Alongside a blur artifact, bulk cell and megasphere, a BFG9000 can now be collected. Collect the BFG to register this secret. (sector 845)
- While on the L-shaped ledge with the switch that lowers the blue skull key, stand at its western side (where there is a boundary between darker and lighter floor colours). Drop down gently to the south to access an otherwise inaccessible ledge with two backpacks and a blue artifact. (sector 1191)
- After pressing the switch that lowers the blue key, head east of the U-shaped wooden structure that marked the start of the invisible staircase leading to that switch. A metal wall will have lowered, revealing a new teleporter. Take it to an otherwise inaccessible stretch of the map with 27 health bonuses.(sector 789)
- This is the sector reading "ALL YOUR VRACK ARE BELONG TO US" in the final section of the map. It is not reachable during normal gameplay. (sector 1286)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
Inspiration and development
The accompanying text file claims that Johansson had a dream about a "very weird Doom level" which he remembered almost exactly after waiting up. He then proceeded to construct the level, with some minor changes due to "engine limits (no RoR etc), design improvements and input from the testers."
- The words formed by the inaccessible secret area, "ALL YOUR VRACK ARE BELONG TO US"", previously appeared on a panel in a secret area in Vrack 2. They are a reference to "all your base are belong to us", an infamous mistranslation from the intro of Zero Wing, a 1992 video game.
- The setpiece of a switch maze featuring teleporting cacodemons would reappear in Vrack 3 as part of the latter's "laser maze" area.