Difference between revisions of "Doom: Annihilation"
|[checked revision]||[checked revision]|
m (Changed protection level for "Doom: Annihilation": Extend to October ([Edit=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (expires 00:42, 16 October 2019 (UTC)) [Move=Allow only autoconfirmed users] (expires 00:42, 16 October 2019 (UTC))))
Latest revision as of 19:42, 15 July 2019
Doom: Annihilation is a film being created by the direct-to-video studio Universal 1440 Entertainment, and directed and written by Tony Giglio. Principal photography began in May 2018 on location in Bulgaria, and production wrapped as of June 5. News of the film first leaked on April 17, 2018, when actress Nina Bergman posted on Twitter that she had been cast in a role. Universal 1440 almost immediately provided confirmation of the film's production status to Variety. According to ScienceFiction.com, the film was originally slated to release on May 17, 2019, but was pushed back to an initially unspecified Fall 2019 date to accommodate additional visual effects work on the film's Hell sequence. On July 15, 2019, a release date of October 1 was officially announced, and a page appeared for the movie on the Universal Pictures Home Entertainment website showing future availability through retail outlets on Blu-Ray and DVD, as well as through digital download.
Details revealed by cast and crew thus far indicate that the movie will center around the actions of a squadron of space marines investigating a UAC facility called the Phobos Compound. Location shots in Prohodna cave suggest some action may be set on the surface of Mars, on Phobos, or in Hell. Futuristic weapons have been seen among the props. The interior sets seem to carry an abstract, angular look with bold, primary colors possibly inspired by the Classic Doom aesthetic. Space marines again wear black combat armor, probably inspired by the look of the Z-Sec in Doom 3 and the design choices made for members of the RRTS in the prior movie.
Actor Dominic Mafham has confirmed that his character is named Dr. Betruger, after the Doom 3 villain. Other posts also seem to indicate that the character played by Louis Mandylor is a priest or preacher, confirming that Hellish overtones will be present in the plot for this film, unlike its predecessor.
According to the director, the movie is not a sequel to the prior film, making it effectively a reboot within the cinematic universe which, also according to Giglio, is aiming to be a "faithful adaptation" of the original source material with plot points taken from the original Doom instruction manual. Demons will be featured as the movie's antagonists. It was previously stated that the character of the Doom Slayer would appear in some form, but this was later redacted and awaits clarification.[dead link]
The official title and synopsis of Doom: Annihilation were announced on March 8, 2019, in an exclusive article at Dread Central which also featured the first three official screenshots of the film, displaying a scientist zombie and two action shots highlighting Carley and Joan.
A 30-second teaser trailer was released on March 11, 2019, with an exclusive debut on Bloody Disgusting.
In an interview with Polygon, Tony Giglio mentioned that the movie will include some first-person-perspective shots, though more brief than the extended segment from the 2005 film. He explained that the marines each have a HUD which will be featured in the shots.
A casting video posted by actor Akie Kotabe for the role of a scientist or engineer named Koji posted on vimeo in February 2018 contains some details which have yet to be confirmed by other sources. As it is unconfirmed that Kotabe was cast in the film, and it is possible for details of screenplay scripts to change during the shooting of a film, this information has to be taken with a degree of caution.
- The Phobos base is divided into four main sections on two levels. An arboretum is mentioned as a key location, which has been seen in photographs taken by other actors.
- Phobos is one of the most unstable known locations in the solar system.
- Teleportation will play a key role in the plot, as expected from other revealed details.
- An ancient civilization existed on Phobos, similar to the ancient Martian civilization from Doom 3, which used a language related to Sumerian. As in Doom 3, it is suggested this civilization had contact with Earth in the ancient past.
- The BFG9000 will appear, with an official expansion of "Baryon Fusion Gun," though the character immediately mentions that the R&D department referred to their "crown jewel" weapon project internally as the "Big Fucking Gun."
- Clayton Adams as Winslow
- Chidi Ajufo as Akua
- Luke Allen-Gale as Dr. Bennett Stone
- Nina Bergman as Carley
- Gavin Brocker as Harry
- James Weber Brown as Captain Hector Savage
- Amer Chadha-Patel as Rance
- Hari Dhillon as Dr. Ahmed Kahn
- Lorina Kamburova as Sandy Peterson
- Cassidy Little as Morgan
- Dominic Mafham as Dr. Betruger
- Louis Mandylor as Chaplain
- Amy Manson as Joan Dark
- Jemma Moore as Li
- Katrina Nare as Veronia
- Arkie Reece as Tarek
- Doom: Annihilation at Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
- Fogel, Stephanie (20 April 2018). "Universal Is Making a New ‘Doom’ Movie." Variety. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Barkan, Jonathan (26 April 2018). "There’s New Information About Universal’s DOOM Reboot." Dread Central. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Giglio, Tony (5 June 2018). "Just landed back in So Cal. Production has wrapped on #Doom I’m exhausted from the shoot. I get a couple weeks off to relax & then right into editorial..." Twitter. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- Bergman, Nina (17 April 2018). "Wow I’m doing the next “Doom” movie w Universal Pictures!..." Twitter. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Conover, Stuart (28 January 2019). "‘Doom’ Reboot Has Been Delayed But For A Good Reason." ScienceFiction.com. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- @DoomMovie (15 July 2019). "You’re gonna want to own Doom: Annihilation on October 1st. Stay tuned for an exclusive clip next week..." Twitter. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Giglio, Tony (25 May 2018). "Since we’re both based on the same game, there are bound to be some similarities but this set is the transport that brings the team to Phobos, just like in the original DOOM game. We’re trying to be a faithful adaptation. Have faith." Twitter. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Giglio, Tony (25 May 2018). "We’re NOT a sequel #restassured #DoomMovie." Twitter. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- Giglio, Tony (1 June 2018). "...we’re using the games as inspiration to be a faithful adaptation, we’re not a sequel & there will be demons." Twitter. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Giglio, Tony (10 June 2018). "Doomslayer’s in the film too..." Twitter. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Barkan, Jonathan (8 March 2019). "Exclusive: Check Out Universal DOOM’s Confirmed Title, Synopsis, and Three Official Images." Dread Central. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Miska, Brad (11 March 2019). "Trailer for ‘Doom: Annihilation’ Once Again Opens a Portal to Hell [Exclusive]." Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- Patches, Matt (11 March 2019). "The new Doom movie trailer attempts to do what The Rock could not." Polygon. Retrieved 13 March 2019.
- Sprague, Mike (7 June 2019). "Doom: Annihilation, The Lighthouse, Ready Or Not & more score R-ratings." Arrow in the Head. Retrieved 8 June 2019.
- Kotabe, Akie (22 February 2018). "Akie Kotabe - Doom (Koji)." vimeo. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Hatcher, Dominique (21 May 2018). "‘DOOM’ Reboot Adds Five More To Cast." The Geek Mansion. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- IMDb contributors (7 June 2018). "Doom (2019)." IMDb. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Chadha-Patel, Amer (13 May 2018). "When you’re a space Marine but your secondary weapon has a Disco light." Twitter. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Mafham, Dominic (23 May 2018). "Half way through shooting the new Universal #DoomMovie, playing dear Dr Betruger." Twitter. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Moore, Jemma (3 May 2018). "Excited to announce I’ve been cast in the next @DoomMovie alongside @ninabergman and other incredible actors with #universalpictures..." Twitter. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Reece, Arkie (7 May 2018). "Happy to announce being cast in the movie Doom with @universalentertainment... in Bulgaria with wonderful cast, crew and producers, directed by #TonyGiglio..." Twitter. Retrieved 9 May 2018.