Doom Battlebook is a book written by Rick Barba and published in 1994 by Prima Publishing. The book is a 201 page strategy guide and covers the three episodes of the Registered version of Doom.
A revised edition with 274 pages was later published in September, 1995, as Doom Battlebook: Revised and Expanded Edition, covering episode 4, Thy Flesh Consumed. This version is credited to Rick Barba and Andrew Reese; the latter presumably wrote the new chapter.
The book makes heavy use of (black and white) screenshots throughout all chapters, which makes it a very visual guide. Most levels have around 6 pages to them, including annotated maps and extensive walkthroughs with screenshots of major landmarks. Larger levels sometimes stretch to 8-10 pages.
- Part One: General Strategies: General tips on playing the game. This is broken down into several sections:
- Cheat Codes: The book opens with a list of all the cheat codes, stating that "any cheat book worth its salt should immediately list all cheat codes".
- Using the Automap
- Hidden areas: Describes how to find secret places which may be hidden behind doors, switches, elevators or teleports.
- Toxic hazards: Describes exploding barrels and environmental hazards such as slime pools and crushing ceilings.
- Weapons: Covers the game's various weapons and how best to use them. There is a table of the number of shots needed to kill each enemy with each weapon.
- Enemies: Tactical analysis of each of the enemies in the game and the best tactics to use against each. There is a table of the number of them in each level of the game.
- Ammunition: The various ammunition items found in the game.
- Health: The various health items found in the game.
- Armor: The various armor items found in the game.
- Power-ups: The various power-up items found in the game.
- Tactical combat tips: Various tips on how to play better, including a description of monster infighting.
- Part Two: Survival Guide
- Episode 1: Knee-Deep in the Dead
- Episode 2: The Shores of Hell
- Episode 3: Inferno
- Episode 4: Thy Flesh Consumed (expanded version only)
- Appendix: Tips for deathmatch play.
|Library of Congress Classification||GV1469.25.D66 B37 1994|
|Library of Congress Control Number||94066791|
|Open Library ID||OL1125116M|
Revised and Expanded Edition
|Library of Congress Classification||GV1469.25.D66 B37 1995|
|Library of Congress Control Number||95074692|
|Open Library ID||OL821087M|
- The Official Doom Survivor's Strategies & Secrets - The official guide
- Doom: Totally Unauthorized Tips & Secrets - Another unofficial guide