Doom Eternal is a sequel to Doom (2016), announced by Bethesda and id Software at the BE3 presentation on June 10, 2018. Further information, including a gameplay reveal, was released at the 2018 QuakeCon convention keynote presentation on August 10. The game is currently targeted for release during 2019, but no precise date has yet been set. The game will release simultaneously for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.
According to id Software's Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin, the game features an even more powerful Doom Slayer taking on twice as many types of demons, with portions of the game set on Earth and Phobos as well as other unidentified regions said to be new to the Doom series. Amongst his new abilities, the Doom Slayer can execute a short-range dash up to twice in a row, even in mid-air, and can climb and jump between specially marked walls in a manner reminiscent of the Tomb Raider series. Special orbs bearing the Slayer's mark seem to replace the previous game's runes - one such featured in the August 10 gameplay reveal grants a "blood punch" ability that increases the player's melee power after a glory kill.
The game will utilize the next iteration of the id Tech engine, id Tech 7. While no concrete details have been revealed, id Software has claimed "ten times the geometric detail and greater texture fidelity." Early analysis of the gameplay footage reveals no dramatic visual changes from Doom 2016, but displacement mapping may have been added to the engine, allowing architecture close to the player to be adaptively tessellated, making it appear higher-fidelity.
- Baron of Hell: The baron now wields fire swords.
- Hell knight
- Imp: Imps are now more muscular and sport spikes on their bodies. They also have brightly glowing red eyes.
- Lost soul
- Mancubus: Now closely resembles its Doom II incarnation.
A new dynamic model damage system called "destructible demons" will be a prominent feature of the game, allowing monsters to actively reflect the amount and types of damage they have taken.
- The Doom Slayer will be able to perform a melee attack at any time, not just as a glory kill.
- Ballista, a rail-gun-like weapon which launches explosive bolts.
- Combat shotgun, now with an automatic firing mod.
- Doom blade, an arm-mounted retractable blade used to perform glory kills and can be used as a melee weapon.
- Flamethrower: A shoulder-mounted napalm-firing alternate weapon that sets enemies ablaze.
- Grenade launcher: A shoulder-mounted alternate weapon which seems to replace the frag grenade.
- Heavy cannon
- Plasma rifle, bearing the profile of the original.
- Rocket launcher
- Super shotgun, which now includes an underslung bayonet-like device currently known as the meat hook. One of the functions of this device allows the Doom Slayer to grapple into enemies to move through the environment swiftly.
Other weapons known to be part of the game but for which not many details are yet available include a sword which appears similar to the Crucible, but is a distinct artifact, according to Hugo Martin.
A new multiplayer feature called "Demon Invasion" (also referred to as "Slayer hunting parties") will be available, allowing players to go on raids into other players' campaigns to play as demons in a manner similar to the first game's demon rune. Participation is strictly optional.
It has also been confirmed that traditional multiplayer will be included as well, this time being developed in-house at id Software.
- gstaff (23 July 2018). "QuakeCon 2018 – Panels, Presentations, and more!" QuakeCon.org. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- Geller, Jacob (10 June 2018). "Hell On Earth Reigns With Announcement Of Doom Eternal." Game Informer. Retrieved 10 June 2018.
- Leavey, Jason (10 August 2018). "The DOOM Slayer returns in DOOM Eternal, the much-anticipated sequel to DOOM, coming to PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch!" Bethesda.net. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- Leavey, Jason (10 June 2018). "DOOM Eternal - Official E3 Teaser." Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- Tsiro, Rania (7 July 2018). "Mick Gordon Talks About DOOM’s And DOOM Eternal’s Soundtrack." VGR. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- Bailey, Dustin (10 August 2018). "Doom Eternal won’t have SnapMap, but it will have single-player DLC." PCGamesN. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- Cinelinx (11 August 2018). "QUAKECON 2018 - DOOM ETERNAL INTERVIEW." YouTube. Retrieved 13 August 2018.