Revision as of 11:40, 10 December 2017 by 188.8.131.52 (Fixed a grammar issue)
List of file types used by Doom Engine
- .lmp — Doom engine unit of data. The particular format is defined by the lump type.
- .wad — Doom engine level resource file (contains textures, sprites, music, and level layout)
- .dsg, .hsg, .hxs, .ssg — Doom engine save games (different extensions specific to Doom, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife respectively)
List of file types used/created by Doom Engine editing programs
- .deh — DeHackEd file which allows editing of hardcoded aspects of Doom engine
- .bex — Enhanced DeHackEd-type file used by Boom and other source ports
- .mus — Music file format of Doom, Heretic, Hexen and Strife
Doom utility file types
- .bat — Executable batch file that contains multiple DOS commands, and can be used to present a menu and run specific programs or utilities
- .exe — An executable program, such as SETUP.EXE or DOOM.EXE itself
- .com — Similar to .exe (not to be confused with .com websites relating to Doom)
Enhanced engine file types
- .pk3 — .zip file replacement to be used as a container for mods that require an enhanced engine. First supported by ZDoom.
- .pk7 — Same as .pk3 but uses 7-Zip compression in order to achieve a smaller file size at the expense of system resources.
- .pke — A zip file specifically intended as a mod for use with the Eternity Engine, with a largely pk3-compatible layout.
- Official documentation for .pk3 files in ZDoom on ZDoom wiki