Difference between revisions of "MAP01: The Earth Base (No Rest for the Living)"
|[unchecked revision]||[unchecked revision]|
(Added section about "The Castle Was Here" message.)
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
Revision as of 14:55, 29 May 2010
|No Rest for the Living maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
- Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
In this map is a hidden message from the designer of that map. The message is THE CASTLE WAS HERE. Castle means Russell "The Castle" Meakim.
To find that, you have to follow the exact route, shown on the picture.
Note: You must reach the switch under 30 seconds, after the map starts.
Follow the route, until you come to a point 1, there is a switch that you have to use from below the platform. This lowers some barriers in this area.
Take the route further to the next switch (point 2) and use it, to open the area, where the red key is located (point 3).
Grab the key, and go to point 4, take the small steps, to get access to the open area.
Follow the route to point 5, and use the switch.
- From the start position, move directly southwards to the metallic bulkhead with the UAC logo. Open it to find a bezerker.
- Progressing through the level will bring you to a switch which lowers the bars protecting the red keycard. On the reverse of the switch is another (not very well hidden) switch. Flipping it lowers the barriers between the walls, and opens a pair of alcoves to the east, containing health bonuses, armour bonueses, shotgun shells, and Lost Souls for your troubles.
- Collect the red keycard, and make a 180 turn. Turn right down the stairs; behind the angled box is a dark wall. Open it to face an Imp and some armour bonuses.
- Go through the red door for the first time, and turn to the east to find a yellow door. Beside it is a switch; flip it and quickly backtrack to secret #3. Inside this room a door will have opened, revealing a teleporter. Enter it to discover the Chaingun in the room south of Secret #2, along with some not-so-friendly Imps if you didn't clear the room.
- In the blue keycard room will be an Automap on a plinth. To reach it, leave the room bearing south (to the blue keycard) then west. On the north wall will be another discoloured wall, use it to open a passage leading to the switch that lowers the Automap.
- Just inside the blue door is a tripwire which activates a door in the south east of the room. Run from the blue door activating the tripwire, and through the narrow door in the corner. Two Imps and some Shotgun shells will greet you. Turn to your right and use the crate, which will reveal a switch. Use it, run along the outside wall to a metallic platform which will have lowered. Wait for it to raise and collect a series of armour bonuses atop a mound as a reward.
- From the armour bonuses reached in Secret #6, move directly north. The eastern wall can be lowered to reveal more health and armour bonuses. Move up the stairs and repel the Demon ambush from behind you, inside the Demon's hideyhole will be a Chainsaw.
- Continue through the secret area to find a stream of enemies, a Megaarmour at the secret's highest point, and a series of health/armour bonuses along with ammunition. Use the Automap to plan your jumps from the Megaarmour's point to reach the yellow keycard. The loading bays on the north wall will lower, unleashing a large number of enemies. Grabbing the yellow keycard also has the effect of spawning enemies throughout the level, culminating in a Cacodemon outside the Exit chamber.
- At the southernmost point of the map is a garden with trees and soil mounds. Behind the westernmost wall is a yellow access switch; hit it to reveal an area holding the Double-Barreled Shotgun, and an ambush of enemies.
This isn't an exact science; these hidden areas allowed me to reach 100% so I'm sure some secrets could be combined.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: