MAP06: Claws of the Imp (1 Monster)
|1 Monster maps|
|Final episode & Secret|
Like all maps in the megawad, the map features only one type of monster, in this case the imp. It is set in a building of brown brick with some outside areas. For the first parts of the map the player is not provided with any weapons apart from a berserk.
At the beginning of the map, you have a choice of two doors to the east and west. Each of these doors will eventually lead you to a key. The route behind western door is more or less straightforward, and the red key awaits at the end. The route behind the eastern door is somewhat more complex. Just as you enter, there will be a passage to the north, with a white door inside; it leads into a dark tunnel with a skull switch at the end. Meanwhile, at the end of the main corridor, there will be a white-and-brown door that leads into an open-air area with a red switch inside. The skull switch opens the metal wall blocking the main corridor, revealing an area with a chaingun (in singleplayer only); the red switch opens a niche in that area, and the niche contains a red switch which opens a white door in the corridor. Inside is another red switch, which opens another niche in the chaingun room. Enter the niche, drop down, get the yellow key and teleport back out.
Back in the starting area, use the red and yellow keys with the switches to the south to open the large door. Head forward; in the outside area, climb the hill ahead of you and press the switch to lower the nearby lift. Go up the lift and keep going forward, at one point making a running jump across a gap, until you come to a teleporter. Use it to get teleported atop a ledge. Press the red switch and enter the teleporter, which will take you back to the starting area, where you will see that the switch opened the exit door to the north. Go down the northern passage, but beware of the trap; once the imps are dead, use switches in the niches they came out of to open the passage again.
- As you enter the western door at the start and go down the corridor, you will pass near a section of wall made of green brick. Open this part of the wall to find two sets of 4 shotgun shells. (sector 82)
- In the grassy outside area, to the northwest is a tiny cave with some barrels in front of it. Blow up the barrels and enter the cave to find a switch inside, which will raise one of the green pillars. In the upper part of the outside area, once you ride up the lift, you will come across a small observation room with a window outside; climb out the window, running across a green pillar to the brown brick column, then off this column make a running jump across another pillar to a set of tiny steps to the east. Climb the steps and claim the rocket launcher and two rockets at the top, which will trigger the secret. (sector 338) The items only appear on Medium and Hard difficulties; on Easy, the secret is empty.
- In the room with the red key is a skull switch. Pressing it lowers a barrier in the eastern section of the level, which until now blocked progress down a small north-south stream near the entrance door. Follow the stream to another skull switch; it will open a niche to the south-west of the starting room, inside of which is a backpack, two sets of 4 shotgun shells and three stimpacks. Entering this niche triggers the secret. (sector 375)
The three items in secret #2 only appear on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty or above. The items are marked as "deaf" despite this flag only making sense for monsters; it is likely the author accidentally checked the wrong boxes in the editor, and the items were meant to appear on all difficulties.
Areas / screenshotsEdit
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV speed||03:22||Ilya Lazarev (joe-ilya)||2017-09-24||1m06-322.zip|
|UV Tyson||04:46||Adolf Vojta (Gusta)||2008-06-04||1m06t446.zip|
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
This level contains three spawn points:
- facing north-west. (thing 275)
- facing north-east. (thing 276)
- facing south-west. (thing 277)
Inspiration and developmentEdit
The name of the map was.