MAP07: Dead Simple (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 01-11|
MAP07: Dead Simple is the seventh map of Doom II. It was designed by American McGee and Sandy Petersen, uses the music track "Shawn's Got The Shotgun" and introduces two new enemies, the mancubus and the arachnotron.
Press the switch to lower the walls. Kill the two, four or seven mancubi and more walls will lower, revealing arachnotrons. Kill them all and you will be able to end the level by pressing the eye switch in the middle of the map. Use the blur spheres to avoid the monsters. Before you exit, hit the switches in this room and the platforms the mancubi were on will lower, revealing health and weapons. Also, get the ammo and health from where the arachnotrons came. Now go back to the center of the map and exit.
- The only secret in this level is the area surrounding the exit switch. Therefore, it is impossible to exit the level without triggering the secret (unless you use the alternative exit switch described below or rocket jump to it without raising the step, as happens in UV speed demo on this level by Marijo "Sedlo" Sedlic (see below)).
- The northwest corner of the map has a secret alcove, housing a BFG9000 and an energy cell pack, along with another exit switch. In single player or coop, it is inaccessible; it is only opened when a deathmatch player spawns in that location. This is usually discovered when a player uses the iddt or idclip cheat codes. If a player enters the region through noclip cheat, it can be disabled safely because the wall can be opened from inside.
- A possible bug or warning that occurs is that if the last two arachnotrons die at the same time, it may cause the stair step surrounding the exit in the center to rise twice, making the exit in the center become seemingly inaccessible, but if this happens, you can still access the exit by running across from the lowered northwest or northeast platforms.
- Not really a bug, but more of a warning. If this level is played on Nightmare! difficulty or with the -respawn parameter set, the arachnotrons that endlessly respawn may cause the stair step that surrounds the center exit to continuously rise each time all of them die, making the exit in the center inaccessible.
- Not really a bug, but the backpack at the start of the level is actually ten backpacks placed on top of each other. Picking "it" up will thus give you a very large amount of ammo.
Routes and tricks
Because the normal route through the map involves killing all of the monsters on the level, it was for long believed that a UV pacifist run of this map was impossible. However, Drew DeVore (stx-Vile) proved this wrong in 2005 by releasing a demo demonstrating that it is possible to complete the level if the player propels himself to the exit switch with a rocket launcher.
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:06||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-05-01||lv07-006.zip|
|NM speed||00:10||Kimo XVirus||2009-06-21||nm07-010.zip|
|UV max||00:46||Adam Hegyi||2000-06-21||lv07-046.zip|
|UV -fast||00:51||Adam Hegyi||1999-11-19||fa07-051.zip|
|UV -respawn||00:48||Adam Hegyi||2000-03-21||re07-048.zip|
|UV Tyson||07:12||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-04-02||ty07-712.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 18, 2012.
|Monsters||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Powerups||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Weapons||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Ammunition||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
|Keys||ITYTD and HNTR||HMP||UV and NM|
The alcove in the northwest corner contains a BFG9000, a bulk cell and an additional exit switch (as the central exit is usually not reachable when using -nomonsters on deathmatch mode). However, this alcove is accessible only in deathmatch mode, after a player spawns inside and opens the door.