MAP13: Command Center (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP13: Command Center is the thirteenth level of console versions of Doom, based on the original E2M5: Command Center with modifications made to accommodate consoles' framerate and storage capacity limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee and the original author of the map is Sandy Petersen. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and was later used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions. The Sony PlayStation version introduces additional modifications to add colored lighting, translucent textures, reverberation effects and enemies from Doom II. The PlayStation version also features the first usage of animated fire sky on this level, like the action takes place in Hell rather than in Deimos.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Navigation
Other points of interest
Comparison of versions
In the northern part of the map, which was initially roughly symmetrical, most of the features on the western side have been deleted. These include the western staircase in the starting area, a passage and room leading to the H-shaped marble room, and one of the nukage pits in the central outdoor area.
The secret exit and its associated teleporter and rooms have been removed.
The "vine room" in the southeast of the map, along with all the hidden areas connected to it in the northwest of the map (oval cage secret, C-shaped walkway), has been removed.
The southernmost area of the original map, a staircase that forks east to the normal exit and west to the nukage-filled perimeter of the "vine room", has been removed.
The room with short red columns near the exit has been removed. The hallway previously entered at the top of the deleted staircase is now entered from the south and leads to the exit.
PlayStation and Saturn
The Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions include additional changes to this map:
- The pair of green torches in the starting room were replaced with the blue ones to then give the room itself the blue light color (Saturn port removes all of the colored lights). Another pair of green torches that are put slightly south of the starting room were replaced with skull poles instead.
- In the south-west room there is a platform, high enough to prevent the players to be hurt on the damaging floor.
- The skull walls in the south-west marble room now scroll up.
- The two columns in the starting room are metallic rather than brick.
- Demonic face, as well as green marble, were merged into gray marble variation.
- Outdoor rock flat is replaced with tan brick.
- For the doors on the level another door texture is used, that is also hellish.
- Two pain elementals were placed on the map: the first being in the room overlooking the nukage pit and the second in the final area.
- A shotgun is added on the slightly risen platform in the south-west of the map.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"On The Hunt"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Imp's Song"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names) "||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Sinister"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Steadfast Extermination"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in MAP02: Plant; see Saturn Doom music.|
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|