Difference between revisions of "MAP22: R.R.F. Refinary (Memento Mori II)"
|[checked revision]||[checked revision]|
m (fix skill-less DM starts)
|Line 460:||Line 460:|
[[Category:Thomas Möller levels]]
[[Category:Thomas Möller levels]]
[[Category:Levels with deathmatch arenas]]
[[Category:Levels with deathmatch arenas]]
Revision as of 12:49, 30 October 2018
|Memento Mori II maps 21-30|
MAP22: R.R.F. Refinary [sic] is the twenty-second level of Memento Mori II. It was designed by Thomas Möller and uses the music track "And Blood Will Spill" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw. It contains a separate area for multiplayer competition. The full title of this level is Reactor Related Fuel Refinary [sic].
- 1 Mission briefing
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Infopack:
- The 22nd sector of our base at IO is our fuel refinary [sic] which produced fuel materials to enable electricity on IO's base by using special reactors.
- Scout transmissions report, that the monsters have modified it for their own use. We have vague thoughts, that they replicate themselfes [sic] with it, especially those monsters we call "pigs". Bio scanners report heavy-armored lifeforms in the north-eastern part of the sector - prepare yourself.
- Mission objective: Eliminate all intruders, means clean [sic] the sector and re-establish a working refinary [sic] (if possible).
- Special note: We can't equip you with heavy weapons this time cause the transmitters to this sector are damaged. So, look out for something you can use. Good luck.
When the first thing a level does is offer up a plasma gun and two energy cell packs for players on a pistol start, you know things are about to get serious. This map is remarkable for its liberal use of tougher monsters and surprise encounters designed to wedge the player in from behind.
Red Key and Blue Key
You begin in a very exposed raised cage in a slime-filled courtyard. Up to five chaingunners will be taking shots at you from the north and south, and the thin horizontal windows they fire from make returning fire a pain. Furthermore, up to five imps are hurling fireballs at you from the west. Quickly grab the plasma gun and energy cell packs, then charge forward and kill the shotgun guy in front of you. This will cause part of the cage you are in to sink to the ground, completing a path across the slime-filled courtyard. Head north along this path to an isolated pillbox overlooking a grey-tiled room. Kill the spectre in this room, as well as two imps which are likely to have moved to the south. If a revenant (or two) peeks its head out from the raised corridor in the east, you should take it down too as well. Pick up the red key when done.
Next, follow the path across the slime-filled courtyard to the south. Lower the metal panel with a skull on it and ride it up. Clear out any chaingunners here (and a mancubus on Ultra-Violence and above). Head east along the corridor and through a doorway into a blue-floored computer room. Kill the imp waiting in ambush to the right of the doorway, then head around to the northwest side of the central metal pillar to find a cutout with a switch (watch for an imp on Ultra-Violence and above). This area has a primary trap that is triggered when you flip the switch, but also has a secondary trap that is designed to box you in, especially on Ultra-Violence and above. To safely navigate both traps:
- Run towards the switch, but do not flip it yet.
- Head out of the computer room. The southern walls of the corridors have lowered, revealing one (Hurt me plenty) or three (Ultra-Violence and above) cacodemons. This trap is empty on Hey, not too rough and below. Remember that the blue door is in this trap.
- Go back into the computer room and flip the switch.
- Three panels in the west will lower, with two cacodemons and a pain elemental. The two pillars on the walkway to the north will also open up, revealing two barons of Hell. Unload your plasma on them.
Backtrack to the path across the slime-filled courtyard. The part of the path that was part of the raised cage has begun lowering and raising. Ride it back up to the top, then go through the red door in the east. Follow the raised blue path, but before you enter the room with three slime pits at its end, destroy the barrel that you can see through the passageway. Quickly step into this next room, shoot the barrels in the southeast, then retreat to the passageway before it. This wakes up two revenants, as well as up to four imps and two chaingunners in the windows ahead, This move is intended to start monster infighting by causing one of the monsters in the windows to accidentally hit a revenant. Finish off any remaining monsters, then proceed south through this room hugging the west wall - there are windows high on the west wall with imps (and chaingunners on Ultra-Violence and above).
After a short corridor, you will come to a platform blocking the way. Lower it and kill the arachnotron behind it. This leads to another rectangular room, but this one only has two slime pools. Watch for the mancubus (two on Ultra-Violence and above) in the slime, as well as some imps who may attack from the windows in the east. If you didn't kill all the enemies behind the eastern windows in the room with three slime pits, they will be on the ledge to the west. Ride the platform in the northwest corner up to the ledge, then head south to an alcove with two medikits and a stimpack, a super shotgun and two boxes of shells.
Raise the metal wall in the south of this alcove and head down the blue staircase to a brick hallway. You will find an imp (and an arachnotron on Ultra-Violence and above) facing away from you. When you shoot them, you are going to wake up a whole horde of enemies. Up to eight arachnotrons will make a beeline for you, and up to seven zombiemen are going to be lining up at the ends of the two blue ledges in this area (in the southeast). A cacodemon (two on Ultra-Violence and above) may also float out from a raised area near the steps. Let them come to you and unload plasma and shells on them. If you would prefer more breathing room, you can clear the computer area in the southeast of shotgun guys and hold your ground from there. This poses a greater risk of you being flanked by an arachnotron, so stay alert if using this strategy.
Once the coast is clear, head through the red door in the southeast (east of the staircase). Two demons and a lost soul will immediately attack you. Kill them, then run into the wall directly east of you before backtracking. This ensures that you wake up four demons and two lost souls in the south (blue key area), as well as a baron of Hell (Ultra-Violence and above only), allowing you to deal with them on your terms (and not getting ambushed behind by them in the next area).
Next, from the red door, head through the low corridor in the northeast. It leads to another brick area, but near the entrance are up to two barons of Hell and six barrels. Quickly peek out, then pull back into the low corridor. This helps you pull the barons of Hell away from the barrels. Take them down, continue forward and destroy the barrels. Find the blue steps in the northeast, go up them and take out up to four imps in this blue computer area. Head to the northeast side of the central computer bank and flip the switch (beware of a chaingunner on top of the switch!).
Head back south along the low corridors. Walls have opened in this area, revealing the full extent of the blue key room. You have to deal with up to three mancubi on a platform in the north, up to three revenants in the southwest, as well as up to six imps on the ledge in the east. More imps may provide supporting fire from a window in the south. Try starting some monster infighting to make your life easier. When the monsters are cleared out, head onto the steps int he west to access the raised area in the southwest. Flip this switch to raise steps to the ledge in the east. Flip the switch at the end of the ledge to raise an L-shaped piece next to the blue key pedestal. Finally, from the second of the three gaps between the metal pillars in the south of this room, jump onto the L-shaped piece, then run along it to grab the blue key.
Grabbing the blue key triggers a teleport trap. From the area west of the red door, a horde of monsters will teleport in. On all difficulties, this consists of four cacodemons, four shotgun guys, three barons of Hell, four imps and three lost souls, as well as an arachnotron released from the computer area near the red door. Some monsters will appear on the blue ledge opposite the red door. Use the blue key room as your stronghold to hold off against this pack of monsters.
You now have to backtrack to the blue door close to the start of the level (in the south side of the starting courtyard). The blue door is located in a small niche in the southwest of where the cacodemon trap was. Go through it and up the steps into a green outdoor area with an arachnotron. As soon as you fire on it, a horde of demons up to a whopping 42 on Ultra-Violence and above) is going to begin teleporting into the outdoor area. It is unlikely that you are going to be able to hold them off easily unless you have the BFG9000 and a good amount of cells on hand. The solution is to head for the hole in the east wall and drop down, dropping you into a short green corridor that is safe from the demons. Kill them from this corridor.
Before you enter the next room, blow up the barrels you can see. This will cause a chain reaction that will kill the mancubus and chaingunner in the north of the next room. Head into the north of the room, then kill the mancubus (not present on Hey, not too rough and below) in the south. Check the southern light alcove for a chaingunner before leaving this room.
Head south into a long nukage sewer. Watch for imps on both sides, as well as a revenant in the east on Ultra-Violence and above. Go all the way east into a grey stone area, where you will be set upon by two revenants. Kill them and head up the blue stairs in the northeast. You will have to deal with three imps (and a mancubus on Ultra-Violence and above) here, as well as two shotgun guys and a chaingunner (Ultra-Violence and above only) from a nearby window. Continue along the blue path to a door. Take out any shotgun guys visible through the window to the left. Open it, and as you walk past the doorway, watch for a chaingunner in ambush to the right (both sides on Ultra-Violence and above). As you round the corner, up to three shotgun guys and three lost souls will be alerted. Dispose of them first. Next, find the doorway west of the door (marked by two light strips - it is a left handed hairpin turn away from the door you used to enter this area). Head along the walkway, down the steps and flip the switch at the end. When you head back up into the corridor, the northern wall will have opened up to reveal up to eight imps. Take them down and proceed west, being wary of a shotgun guy placed in ambush in the south about halfway down the corridor.
At the end of the corridor is a small doorway with a computer pillar visible. As you step through this doorway, you will alert a shotgun guy in ambush to the left and up to five demons from a room ahead. Eliminate them, then walk around the computer pillar to reveal a square area with four wooden pillars and a brown platform. On Ultra-Violence and above, this platform has an arachnotron. Step onto this platform to be lowered into the yellow key room, with up to two barons of Hell to deal with.
Take the yellow key and backtrack to the long nukage sewer. This time, head to the west end. This leads to a long green hall with two light strips. As you step into this hall, metal panels lower in the east, revealing access to the demon pens from which the horde of demons teleported from earlier. You will be able to see the outdoor area just after the blue door from here. A metal block in the outdoor area will have lowered, and an [[[arch-vile]] is released. Stop it from resurrecting the demons with some well-placed rockets or plasma. Next, head to the small room north of the long green hall and flip the switch in the west. This activates a drop trap, lowering you into a room with three shotgun guys. Flip the switch in the northwest corner of the trap, then ride the platform back up.
You now have to backtrack to the room that you dropped into from the outdoor area just after the blue door. Steps will have formed in the corridor in its west. Head up them to the outdoor area, then exit this area through the blue door.
You now have to backtrack to the other half of the level, all the way to the blue staircase just before the red door leading to the blue key area. The north wall of the next brick hallway has a platform. Ride it up to an elevated area (watch for stragglers from the blue key teleport trap, up to and including barons of Hell!). Head through the small door in the east to find yourself on one of the blue ledges in the area. Follow the ledge around to the north, where you will find another small door in the south wall. Open this door, kill the imps in the room inside and flip the switch.
Head back out the door, and you will find that the walls in the north of this areas have lowered, revealing a large outdoor area. You will be set upon by two Hell knights (Hey, not too rough and below, three Hell knights (Hurt me plenty), or three Hell knights and three barons of Hell (Ultra-Violence and above). Some shotgun guys and zombiemen will also be taking shots from ledges further in the north. Drop down from the blue ledge and deal with these monsters.
Head outdoors, then go all the way east. You will come to a narrow staircase. Up to three spectres and a demon will attack you. Dispose of them with the super shotgun, then head up the staircase to an area with two circular nukage pits. Head for the exit niche in the west wall of this area, and open the yellow bars. Go through the exit door, kill the chaingunner lying in wait, then head down the corridor and kill any cacodemons left in the exit chamber. Flip any of the four switches on the grey pillar to end the level.
Other points of interest
The easiest way to kill the only cyberdemon inhabiting this level is to press the switch in the southeast part of the map (near the big, rectangular pool of nukage), which activates four crushers. Open the door west to three small pools of nukage surrounded by railings, run east as fast as possible, lower a small lift marked with a gargoyle to hide from cyberdemon's rockets on the other side of the brick wall. If the cyberdemon follows you, it will teleport itself where the crushers are.
- After picking up the red keycard, walking over the walkway crossing the nukage pit and riding up the lift, go west, descending the winding staircase to the north. Take the elevator up and then drop through the western wall. You will enter a secret room (sector 64) with two bulk cells and a BFG9000. Enter the teleporter to leave, but be warned that you will be unable to return to this room, for the entrance will become blocked off.
- Right after passing the red door, from the bridge southeast of where you grab the red keycard, drop to the north and climb the two steps onto the platform. Open the recess in the wall in front of you to find a backpack and a super shotgun (sector 108).
- In the hallway south of the toxic pools after the bridge mentioned in secret #2, a section of the western wall (sector 382) is completely grey. Open it to find a secret stairway leading to the imps' vantage points, where you can obtain (ammo from the two better dead chaingunners' on hard skills,) two stimpacks, two energy cells, two boxes of shells and a chaingun.
- While inside the sewage tunnel beyond the blue door, a portion of the northern wall is covered with triangles. Open it to find a computer room (sectors 343, 335, 342) with two (three on hard skills) cacodemons, two boxes of shells, one (two on hard) sergeant (sector 341) and a stairway (sectors 805, 337, 336); climb up the stairway to find another sergeant, two more boxes of shells, a bulk cell (sector 334) and a BFG9000. This secret actually consists of eight sectors, including the staircase and the upstairs room, all marked as secret.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- See secret #4.
- From the sewers where secrets #4-11 are accessed, go east. Ascend two sets of blue stairs and make a hairpin turn to the left after the next door. In this same computer room as the switch that lowers the platform with the yellow keycard, press on the nearby computer panel with the hazard strip on it to find a hidden corridor (sector 286) with an imp, a health bonus, a medikit and a box of shells. Press on the silver wall in this secret to activate an elevator, ride it up, and then open the metal panel in front of you to obtain another medikit.
- Enter the room west of the crushers (see Other points of interest) and hit the switch you saw from outside to lower the mainframe, releasing (skill dependent) two/four/eight cacodemons (, also an imp and six lost souls on medium and hard skills) and revealing two shell boxes and a medikit. Note that when the mainframe is lowered, the switch activating the crushers is also lowered. After dealing with the monsters, lower the mainframe again. When riding it up as a lift, there is another switch to the south lowering both the mainframe and the crusher switch. When the mainframe is lowered, quickly open the door and ride the mainframe up. Lower it again using the inner switch and run as quickly as possible to the lowered crusher switch. Straferunning is not needed, but may help. Beyond the crusher switch is a passage to the south, bending to the west. At its end is a room with one (two on hard) Hell knight and a megasphere.
- Linedefs 738, 759, 779 and 791 have tag 12, but have no action. It is unknown whether this is intended or an error.
- Because of the presence of items not flagged as multiplayer-only in the deathmatch arena, you can only get 60% Items on Hurt Me Plenty or lower, and 75% on Ultra-Violence or higher. See the table below.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV max||12:59||Anthony Soto (Swedish Fish)||2003-02-22||m2221259.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on May 31, 2014.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains seven spawn points:
- facing north-west. (thing 559)
- facing south-west. (thing 560)
- facing north-west. (thing 561)
- facing south. (thing 562)
- facing north-east. (thing 563)
- facing north-east. (thing 564)
- facing south-east. (thing 572)
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|
Inspiration and development
- The part of the mission briefing claiming that "heavy-armored lifeforms" have been detected in the northeast part of the map is probably incorrect. The "heavy-armored lifeform" presumably refers to the cyberdemon, which is located in a room in the northwest of the map. Whether this is an error or deliberate misinformation (simulating inaccurate military intelligence in the story) is unknown.
- The demon teleport trap beyond the blue door massively increases in difficulty between Hurt me plenty and Ultra-Violence: On the former difficulty, the teleport trap only releases 16 demons the staircase near the blue door; on the latter, the number of demons increases dramatically to 42, and a number of demons will also teleport into the courtyard.