MAP29: Sapphire Pools (2048 Unleashed)
|2048 Unleashed maps 21-30|
|All Hope for Terror|
Take the shotgun sitting in front of you under some shotgun guys then turn left to kill some approaching imps. Head south down the steps to a water pool (watch out for an approaching pain elemental) then turn left and head forward into a narrow passage with shotgun shells. Look round the corner to kill a revenant then go through the door next to it and climb the steps to another door guarded by a shotgun guy and two zombiemen. Go through the second door to find an imp next to some armor, then step out of the window onto a thin blue ledge and carefully follow this west and south, round a corner decorated with blue strip lights, until you can step into a chamber containing the blue keycard. The nearby wall will lower and an arch-vile will appear behind it, so be ready to kill it after taking the keycard.
Drop down to the ground and head east towards the narrow passage you used earlier - you will pass a lion switch that can be activated using the blue keycard, but ignore it for now. Kill an arachnotron blocking your way then head north-east into a dark tunnel which you can follow past a chaingunner and mancubus to a set of steps. Go down the steps to a cave, but be ready to kill a large number of imps and a mancubus that appear in a neighboring cavern on your left - once they are dead, go through the cavern and climb the steps to an outdoor area with two arachnotrons. There are two stone steps concealing enemies that you need to walk over to reach a skull switch - the first step conceals three chaingunners while the second step conceals two Hell knights. Make sure to collect the rocket launcher and backpack on your way to the skull switch.
After pressing the switch, leave the area quickly to avoid a chaingunner ambush then make your way back to the south side of the level, watching out for zombies and revenants that have teleported in, then head west to a fountain with the blue skull key at the top - the fountain is guarded by an arch-vile and two arachnotrons behind a fence, as well as a mancubus and some spectres. Climb the fountain and take the skull key, but be ready for an ambush by various flying monsters along with revenants and knights. Head east to the lion switch you ignored earlier - press it now, then head north-east into the tunnel you used earlier to find that a set of bars blocking a second lion switch have opened. When you approach the switch a cyberdemon will appear right in front of you, so quickly exit the tunnel and fight it from an open area. After the cyberdemon is killed, press the switch and quickly turn round to kill two arch-viles that are revealed behind you along with a plasma gun.
Follow the tunnel north and go down the steps into the cave again then head north-east through a newly-revealed opening to get outside - immediately turn left to kill a chaingunner lying in ambush, then look right to deal with some revenants, mancubi, arachnotrons and a baron of Hell which are protecting a lion switch. Make sure you take the rocket launcher, plasma gun and megasphere in this area before pressing the switch, as pressing it will close the way back and open a wall to your right and reveal fourteen revenants, in addition to knights, cacodemons, imps, chaingunners and a cyberdemon that teleport in. Once everything is dead and you are able to leave, go back through the tunnel and turn right once you emerge to see that a teleporter next to an exit sign has lowered. Kill the arch-vile waiting nearby, then step on the teleporter; the level will automatically end after a few seconds.
Other points of interestEdit
Near the fountain with the blue skull key is an alcove containing a mancubus and an unreachable BFG9000. This is probably deliberate, as shooting all the bookcases to open secret #3 will cause the inner walls of this alcove to lower, revealing the message "SORRY! THIS IS NOT A SECRET AREA! TRY AGAIN!"
- From the blue keycard, make a jump south-west onto the blue rock, then maneuver across the wall to the open cage with the pain elemental, plasma gun and energy cells. If you see this area is blocked off, grab the shotgun near the starting point to open them. (sector 699)
- In the middle of the level, you will see a closed area with shotgun guys and a pentagram wall in the back; this closed area is actually a secret. To do so, get on the rocks to the south, then run north onto the rock with the box of shotgun shells and into an opening. Assuming you did this right, you will land inside this enclosed area, where you can find a rocket launcher and rockets. (sector 754)
- To get this secret, you must first shoot every bookshelf. There is one right next to the blue keycard, and three more are outside the fences near the blue skull key. One is to the south-west of where secret #2 is, and if you use the door and lift to the east of secret #2, you can find two more along with a supercharge. You can find one in the small cave near the north-east part of the map, behind some bodies and heads. Once you find and shoot all eight bookshelves, return to the south-east end of the map to enter a secret area with hearts on the walls and a berserk pack and cyberdemon. Behind the cyberdemon is a rocket launcher and a box of rockets. (sector 1233) Watch out for a large number of revenants (42 in all) that teleport in when you press the switch behind the rocket launcher.
Areas / screenshotsEdit
Routes and tricksEdit
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on December 21, 2021.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 500)
- facing south-east. (thing 501)
- facing south-west. (thing 502)
- facing north. (thing 503)