MAP31: Castle Dorkenstein (1 Monster)
|1 Monster maps|
Final episode & Secret
MAP31: Castle Dorkenstein is the secret map of 1 Monster, and can be accessed through MAP15: Spook House. Completing this level takes the player to MAP16: Mancublood. It was designed by Ronald Lubbelinkhof (Dutch Devil) with edits by Robert Eckhardt (Ichor).
Like all maps in the megawad, the map features only one type of monster, in this case the Wolfenstein SS. It is set in a Nazi base, with a flat, square structure similar to the original MAP31: Wolfenstein, but with more elaborate detailing and decor.
Enter the next room, then head through the northern door, pick up the shotgun and go through the eastern door. In this room there are two switches on the wall. Press the one with a green light next to it to open the doors. Inside, pick up the chaingun and get the yellow key, but first press the switch with a red light to close the doors and protect yourself from a teleporting wave of enemies. Once you are ready, open the doors and head back to the map's second room, where there is a yellow key door to the east. Behind the door is a corridor with an elevator at the end; inside is the exit switch.
Other points of interest
While completing the level only requires visiting five rooms, there are four more rooms accessible through other doors, to the north and west of the level. Ammo, armor bonuses and health can be found there.
- In the second room one of the eagle panels, to the north-east, can be opened. Behind it is an armor, a medikit, and one (Medium) or two (Hard) sets of 4 shotgun shells. (sector 102)
- In the north-westernmost room, carefully look near the vertical metal beam that is north-west of the small red pillar. Right next to it is a tiny switch set into the wall. Press it to open a wall to the west; behind it is hidden a chainsaw, as well as 15 health bonuses and 15 armor bonuses. (sector 345)
- In the north-easternmost room on the map, an eagle panel in the south-eastern corner can be opened. Behind it is a room with a backpack and a medikit. Entering this room triggers the secret. (sector 818) It also contains a teleporter to another area which contains two sets of 4 shotgun shells, a rocket, six armor bonuses, and a partial invisibility (Easy and Medium) or a supercharge (Hard).
- In the north-easternmost room, there is a switch similar to the one in Secret #2 near one of the windows to the north (the third window from the west.) Pressing it opens up one of the barred wall niches in the L-shaped corridor to the north of the map. Within is a health bonus and two armor bonuses, and a switch that opens up the pillars in the corridor, revealing several Nazis, a medikit and a teleporter. Entering this teleporter triggers the secret. (sector 945) It will bring you into a small chamber with three health bonuses and (in multiplayer) a shotgun and two sets of 4 shotgun shells. Open the Hitler portrait inside to also find a rocket launcher and four rockets. When you pick up the weapon, two side panels will open, revealing some enemies as well as a stimpack, two armor bonuses, two clips and 4 shotgun shells.
- In the final room, an eagle banner to the south can be opened. Behind it is a computer area map, six armor bonuses and six health bonuses. (sector 958)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
If the player never fires a shot in the second room (or in any room connected to it by an open door), none of the teleport ambushes in the map will be triggered, as the Nazis lying in wait will not be woken up.
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV speed||00:20||Eric Baker (The Green Herring)||2008-05-29||1m31-020.zip|
|UV max||03:42||Daiyu Xiaoxiang||2011-09-28||1m31-342.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:20||Eric Baker (The Green Herring)||2008-05-29||1m31-020.zip|
|UV -nomonsters||00:16||Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)||2013-12-02||1m31o016.zip|
|UV -nomonsters TAS||00:14||Vasily Vasilyev (38_ViTa_38)||2015-11-02||1mnomo_vita.zip|
This information was last verified in its entirety on July 10, 2019.
Inspiration and development
The first version of the mapoutside of secret areas.