MAP33: The Gantlet (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP33: The Gantlet is the thirty-third level of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the third level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP03: The Gantlet, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
Enter the door straight ahead of you at the start of the level. Go down the stairs and through the doorway at the bottom, then climb another set of steps. Follow the path left, and a lift will lower on your right. Take it up to an outdoor area.
In the next area, go straight down some stairs, across the water, back up another set of steps, and down some more into the structure, where a chaingun lies. Continue going forward, up yet another set of stairs, to get the blue keycard. Enter the blue door on the left and follow the corridor to its end, where you will see a switch. Press the switch, which causes a bridge to rise from the water pool outside, and exit through the blue door next to it. Turn right, going down and then up the stairs again. On the far side, turn around and walk on the ledge to reach the bridge that rose. Cross it and go through the teleporter.
In the next area, go through the door, then drop down into the grassy pit. Pick up the red keycard in the center. There are two switches on the west end of this pit. The left switch opens a room on the far end of the pit that contains some armor bonuses, but also releases several imps. The right switch lowers a lift to the left that takes you up to the red door. Go through the red door to reach the exit switch.
Other points of interestEdit
In the first room, after climbing the stairs, follow the passage all the way round past the lift. You will come to a small water stream - turn left to find megaarmor on a ledge. When you step onto the ledge, an alcove will open ahead containing several monsters.
After getting the blue keycard, go through the blue door on the right and follow the passage round to a teleporter. Step into it and you will land on top of a column in the water area holding a rocket launcher. The teleporter leading out of secret #1 will also take you to this column.
After passing through the door to the grassy pit, turn left and follow the walkway until you reach the wall, then go forward to drop off the walkway and land on a ledge with a box of bullets, plus an energy cell pack in multiplayer. This will also lower two of the nearby pillars to release demons into the pit.
- Upon reaching the watery outdoor area, you will find a "well" set against the south wall of the southern pool. (sector 60) It is possible to straferun into the well from the stairways leading down into the water. The secret contains megaarmor, an energy cell pack, a partial invisibility, and a soulsphere.
Comparison of versionsEdit
- Some areas are widened to accommodate the player's increased radius. These include the starting hallway, the gap between the large staircases in the water area, and the four doors in the eastern-most area of the map.
- The staircases leading to the chaingun pickup in the cross-shaped area of the map have fewer steps.
- The inner walls of the west pillar in the grassy pit (which contains one or two demons) will now lower the pillar when pressed. This avoids a situation where a player could land inside the pillar and be unable to escape.
- The exit switch is changed to SW1MET2 (red/green light on dark metal wall) to match the other switch in the level.
- A spectre hiding inside the east pillar in the penultimate room on Hurt Me Plenty skill level is removed.
- Because the console games are based on v1.666, the hidden alcove containing the backpack in the water pool added in v1.9 is absent.
Areas / screenshotsEdit
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Twisted Beyond Reason"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 9)
- facing east. (thing 86)
- facing east. (thing 87)
- facing south. (thing 88)