I've tagged the talk page for 'CodeImp' as vfd in place of tagging 'CodeImp' itself (which doesn't turn up in the category due to it being a REDIRECT).
Rationale: We don't have an established practise of creating redirects for nicknames to usernames; there are no backlinks for 'CodeImp'.
- Are you sure about that? I see Aardappel, Afterglow, AndrewB, Apothem, Cyb, Deathz0r, Fraggle, Hurdler, Linguica, Magikal, Mancubus II, Nightfang, NoSkill, Sarge Baldy, Scuba Steve, SkyJake, Tarin, Teppic (whoever that is), Toke, and Xit Vono. Ryan W 14:09, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
- Oh, my apologies. I didn't recall seeing any others. Many of those are auto-created as a result of page moves, though. Does that make a difference? -- 220.127.116.11 17:07, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
- Ah, that explains it. I think that all happened before I arrived.
- Does it make a difference to me? No, I don't really have a strong opinion. I was just saying that, to be consistent, either everyone should have such a redirect or they should all be VfDed. Does it make a difference in general? Redirects are useful [a] when a URL is typed by hand and [b] when an editor is making internal links. AFAICT, the only people who still do [a] nowadays (on any site) are OCD types such as ourselves who aren't frustrated so easily as by having to type Derek "Afterglow" MacDonald instead of Afterglow anyway. :> Therefore, we have to ask whether or not the convenience of [b] is worth the extra database load — there have in fact been discussions on the central wikia recently about "redirect bloat". On the other hand, if we ever get around to stiffening those criteria for people articles, maybe there won't be enough of them to worry about that, in which case every little bit of editing time saved helps.
- Does that make sense? Ryan W 06:08, 28 November 2006 (UTC)
delete Jdowland 14:22, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- keep -- I didn't realise this wasn't a one-off. I have no problem with DB bloat (we can deal with that when it happens); I just didn't want a precedent. We're well past that now though. -- Jdowland 17:17, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
- Keep and turn into redirect. As stated before, there are already plenty of redirects to people by nickname. It really won't lead to any sort of "bloat" if there's only one or two redirects per people article. Bloodshedder 03:29, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
Three months later and still no new opinions objecting to the status quo. The outcome therefore is keep. Ryan W 13:35, 2 March 2007 (UTC)