The Shores of Hell
The Shores of Hell is the second episode in Doom. All maps in this episode are credited to Sandy Petersen, though many of them were first started by Tom Hall. The episode is set on Deimos, which is being overrun and infested by the demonic forces. To show this, its levels generally resemble UAC facilities that have been partially altered by the demonic invaders. The sky used for the background consists of mountains against red clouds.
|Ultimate Doom episodes|
- E2M1: Deimos Anomaly
- E2M2: Containment Area
- E2M3: Refinery
- E2M4: Deimos Lab
- E2M5: Command Center (Exit to secret level)
- E2M6: Halls of the Damned
- E2M7: Spawning Vats
- E2M8: Tower of Babel (Cyberdemon is boss)
- E2M9: Fortress of Mystery (Secret level)
The Compet-n records for the episode are:
|UV Episode||04:22||Adam Hegyi||1999-06-25||ep2-0422.zip|
|NM Episode||04:52||Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore||2004-05-18||e2nm0452.zip|
|UV Max Episode||29:11||Radek Pecka||2001-06-10||ep2-2911.zip|
|NS Episode||12:40||Drew "stx-Vile" DeVore||2002-10-19||e2ns1240.zip|
|UV -fast Episode||36:55||Radek Pecka||2002-08-29||e2fa3655.zip|
- The episode's intermission screen changes from level to level, showing how the Tower of Babel is gradually built by the forces of hell as the marine advances.
- Many of the episode's levels feature UAC locales that have alterations or additions of hellish origin. For example, while most buildings still use human-made keycards for locked doors, some others use demonic skull keys. E2M3: Refinery includes keycards for the player to pick up, but also has some skull-marked door frames. Some switches found in the levels are UAC-style push buttons, while others appear to be of demonic nature. To a certain degree this is because the levels were originally designed to be plain UAC facilities, as seen in the alpha versions of the game, but were later moved to a more hellish environment. This decision was made more believable by having Deimos teleported to a location over hell's surface at the beginning of the game. Due to this, fan-made levels that mix techbase and demonic textures are sometimes referred to as Shores of Hell levels.
- In comparison with the previous episode, many maps of this episode have quite low ratio of summary monster hitpoints to amount of ammo pickups available to the player. This is because of increased difficulty, and also because the number of possessed humans (who drop their guns when killed) is smaller, whereas the majority of enemies are hellspawn, who drop nothing.
- Plasma guns appear in all of the levels, with the exception of Tower of Babel.
- The new monsters are the Cacodemon, Lost Soul, and Cyberdemon.