|This mod was one of the ten 2000 mods to feature in the Top 100 WADs of All Time on Doomworld!|
|1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998|
1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003
ZanZan is a total conversion created by Edmundo Bordeu of ACE Team. The music is written by Peter Tomaselli (Kniggit). It requires Doom II and ZDoomGL (v1) 0.66 to run, however an adaptation to GZDoom was later created by Pawel Zarczynski (NMN).
The players take control of ZanZan, a floating creature with many eyes and a long clawed arm. He sees the Earth as being an evil place and wants to destroy the planet. While he was sleeping for one year, Koocayam had already started a campaign against him. After an unknown event where ZanZan awakes and the Avedusa collapses, ZanZan discovers he is no longer immortal. Not understanding what has happened, ZanZan vows to find out what happened to his immortality, and find out what exactly is going on.
The total conversion is very short, with only three playable levels, but it has some replay value, as there are multiple endings which depend on the player's actions throughout the game. There are a few weapons, but they are well implemented. Weapons such as the Fire Orb and Holy Blade work very differently from weapons in other TCs. The enemies and scenery are also well done, as they are all in the form of the MD2 models.
- The first thing you see; a dying Avedusa. This replaces the Icon of Sin's monster spawner.
- Cattle monster
- A lizard-like monster, which is killed by beheading. It replaces the demon. A partially invisible version of this monster exists, replacing the spectre.
- Once followers of ZanZan, the Zesters now rebel against his decision to destroy earth. The standard zester replaces the imp.
- Zester priest
- A zester priest replaces an arachnotron.
- Touriaam the great, is a stronger version of the Zester priest. This replaces the spiderdemon.
- Zidivist, inventor of the fire orbs, is a very important Zester. This replaces the cyberdemon.
- These are the small plant creatures who give you tips through-out the wad. They replace the cacodemon or the pain elemental.
- Living mug
- These are large walking vases. They replace the zombieman.
- Spider critter
- These small spiders replace the Hell knights.
- Koocayam the keeper of knowledge is the end boss in ZanZan. He is the son of Retafnayam, who discovered Earth. Replaces the arch-vile.
Names listed as they appear in MAPINFO: