32 in 24
|32 in 24|
32in24's original concept was introduced by Shaikoten, who sarcastically suggested on OFTC's #unidoom channel that the members of Unidoom should make a 32 map deathmatch megawad in 24 hours. With the encouragement of Dean Joseph (deathz0r), a thread was posted on Doomworld to organize the project. The session began at midnight EST, and finished on the following midnight.
The goal of 32 maps in a single 24-hour period was achieved with less than half an hour to spare, but nevertheless, a total of 38 maps were submitted to the project, with six maps from authors who had made more than two levels being cut from the final WAD to bring it down to 32 maps (see cut maps).
The project was compiled by Joseph, and the WAD was uploaded to the /idgames archive on June 27, 2007. It has received mostly positive reviews, and the success of the project made way for the 32in24 concept to expand into a whole series, branching out into other game modes.
As the project overshot its target of 32 maps, instead reaching a total of 38, six maps were cut in order to bring the final WAD to 32 maps. These maps were from authors who had submitted more than two levels to the project, to allow for a greater number of different authors across the WAD. The cut maps are as listed as follows, with their submission number and the session time elapsed at the time of submission.
- Pandora's Box by DD_133, the third map to be submitted, at 01:42.
- No John, You Are the Demons by DD_133, the fourth map to be submitted, at 01:42.
- Brick Face by leileilol, the eighth map to be submitted, at 04:54.
- Combat Bastard by Matt Cibulas (RottKing), the thirty-first map to be submitted, at 23:38.
- Interior of Sandy Petersen's House by Sarah Mancuso (esselfortium), the thirty-fourth map to be submitted, at 23:55.
- The Castle by Infurnus, the thirty-seventh map to be submitted, at 24:04.