|The entrance to the castle|
Castle Nevermore is a single-level PWAD for Doom II, designed by Björn Ostmann (Vader) and released in June 2004. The map is themed on a gothic castle, with a detailed design that emphasizes layout and atmosphere. It combines small exterior areas, such as courtyards and gardens, with the deep and complex architecture of the castle. The map has a considerable number of enemies and low ammunition, which can present a challenge on higher skill levels.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Keep moving straight ahead until you enter the castle. Beware of the numerous enemies guarding the entrance. You will reach a room with several doors, including the blue door. Take the lower door on the east side, the one next to the blue door. Go down the stairs and follow the path straight ahead. You will see a door on the east side and also as the path continues north. Keep walking north until you reach the bottom, near a torch. Next to it is a switch which lowers an elevator and also a rocket launcher. Go up the elevator where the rocket launcher is and press a switch at the end. This will unlock future areas. Now, go down the other elevator and follow the path, take the door that goes to the west.
Now you will be in the red door area, where there are several enemies. In the upper area there is a soulsphere and several other items that can help you greatly. Once you take them, go down to the lower area, on the south path. You will now be in the central courtyard of the castle. Watch out for numerous revenants guarding from their watchtowers. Go up the steps to your right and then turn to your right, heading north. Enter the room, go through the spiral staircase and go up until you find a switch.
Once you press it, go back through the courtyard area and take the door to the west. Ahead is the blue key area. Turn around and go back and this time take the door going south. Continue until you find a switch and press it. In this area you will find a soulsphere, but if you pick it up you will be ambushed by two arch-viles, so be careful.
Now go back to the central courtyard and take the door to the south, in front of the fountain. Just turn to your left to find the blue door. Follow the straight path and you will easily find the red key. Once you have it, you can return to the red door area by simply following the straight path in front of you.
The red key opens the door to the throne room. A cyberdemon will attack you here. Once you kill it, go behind the throne and press the switch, which will take you down to the exit to finish the map.
Other points of interest
- Climb the steps to the castle, then backtrack to the starting area to get a chaingun and ammo clips. (sector 846)
- In the hall with six columns, head southeast and use the east bookshelf to find a berserk pack. (sector 90)
- Head south from the previous secret and take the first door you see. Head down, use the switch, then head west and take the lift up to energy cells and an ammo clip. (sector 561)
- Head back to the east hall and head all the way north. Use the lion switch, which lowers the lift, but go south a bit and get the rocket launcher, boxes of rockets, and rockets to the left. (sector 109)
- At the northeast end, open the wall between the gargoyle faces to get a BFG9000 and an energy cell pack. (sector 529)
- Use the switch behind the plasma gun to lower the right bookshelf. Enter the corridor for health bonuses and a door to a computer area map and ammo. (sector 864)
- In the southeast hall, use the southwest bookshelf to find rockets and a megasphere. (sector 474)
- At the east side, go to blue door to the north, then jump west, going down. Head north to the open stable that has health bonuses, a backpack, and an energy cell pack. (sector 334)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 2, 2022.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 353)
- facing west. (thing 354)
- facing south-east. (thing 355)
- facing north. (thing 356)
- facing south. (thing 357)
- facing west. (thing 358)
- facing south. (thing 359)
- facing east. (thing 360)