Category talk:Doom 3 levels
I have a question about all Doom 3 levels: should we just have a short summary of each level (like what I went with until now), or should we have a walkthrough that details the encounters and all that? I'm asking because, as much as I like the summary option more, there's not much to write about there, as D3 levels don't feature much storytelling and are mostly based on encounters. So, short summaries or detailed walkthroughs? - Li'l devil
- Almost all articles, including walkthroughs, become more detailed over time. For a walkthrough specifically, you're correct that most encounter descriptions would be redundant to the combat advice already present in monster articles (I'm biased toward old Doom maps, but I seem to recall the same approach being used back when Doom 3 was a hot editing topic.) I gather that many players find the upper skill levels VERY difficult, and therefore may appreciate pointers to all available pickups. On the other hand, see for some arguments against comprehensive walkthroughs. HTH. Ryan W (living fossil) 08:13, 16 December 2018 (CST)
As for monster encounters I just can write what monsters are encountered and that's all, but I don't know if I should write even that. As for secrets, I'd do a comprehensive walkthrough covering all the secrets, even writing the exact item count in each of them, but there are just so many of them in the game and most of them are pretty insignificant (albeit still very well hidden), i.e. 2 armor shards hidden on a very hard to reach ledge that you wouldn't even think is a ledge. :) Also a problem is that some secrets are sort of half-secrets, which means that they're not really hidden, but still it's easy to miss them (in the darkness, for example). -Li'l devil.
- You might check out the walkthrough I did for The Lost Mission's first Hell level, as I feel it provides an appropriate amount of detail without being overly verbose about every single detail of the level. --Quasar (talk) 23:46, 16 December 2018 (CST)
So, I've been now inspecting all the levels with editor, and I found, among other things, that some monsters on levels only spawn under very specific and rare circumstances (i.e. waiting on a certain spot on the map for 2 minutes, or backtracking to a certain area, etc). Should these rarities be mentioned at all, or are they not important? Also, should the skill level differences be mentioned? There are not a lot of them (usually a few monsters are removed on Recruit, and a few items removed on Veteran). Sorry if I'm bothering with this stuff again, I just don't know how to handle some things. - Li'l devil.
- Normally we probably would, but I guess it depends on the complexity of describing that kind of stuff. --Quasar (talk) 00:40, 26 December 2018 (CST)
I see. I guess I'll do that as well as improve all the walkthroughs to the level of your Lost Mission's Hell walkthrough. I hope I'm not bothering you with all the edits I'm constantly making. - Li'l devil.
Actually, just tried writing a good walkthrough and it's so time consuming and the end result is something people would be too bored to read, so I guess the short summaries are better, it's not like Doom 3 has convoluted levels anyway. As for describing skill level differences, it's an interesting thing to do, but it doesn't feel necessary so I'll leave that idea for now. - Li'l devil.
- I have no problems at all, you're doing some good, much needed work by visiting some long-neglected articles :) --Quasar (talk) 12:54, 26 December 2018 (CST)
Just so that there won't be any confusion, I want to say that I'll edit all names of places (rooms) in Doom 3 to be capitalized, because that's how they're written in the game. Also, I've decided to add texts of objectives to all level articles. I hope these text lines count as fair use and I feel they really need to be included in the articles. --lil'devil (talk) 05:50, 9 January 2019 (CST)
- Looks like the names of the items are all caps in the game as well, i.e. "Med Kit" instead of "Med kit". What should I do about those? I mean, I realize it's not important, but I'm kind of perfectionist. --lil'devil (talk) 06:01, 9 January 2019 (CST)
- (the above was answered elsewhere) --lil'devil (talk) 07:27, 9 January 2019 (CST)