Caverns - Area 2: Artifact Excavation
|Doom 3 maps|
|Map name: game/caverns2|
Arriving at Sub Station 3, the marine steps off the lift and is almost immediately attacked by an arch-vile and two Hell knights. Despite being locked in close quarters, he manages to defeat Betruger's minions. He then battles his way through a swarm of wraiths to reach the ancient ruins themselves at Main Excavation.
After finding the keycard to Storage Room 11, the marine can backtrack to Sub Station 3 and gain access to a storage room containing lots of supplies (though he triggers an ambush in the process). He then returns to the Main Excavation chamber, where he encounters another arch-vile. After killing the demon and its minions, he heads through the various ancient chambers. Here he sees the glyphs on the walls that were mentioned on Pierce Rogers's video disk, as well as the strange levitating egg-shaped artifacts also mentioned in Roger's report.
Soon, he arrives in a chamber called the Room of the Stars. On the ceiling is the map of the solar system spoken of in Richard Davis' PDA. Betruger unleashes more demons including Hell knights on the marine. After defeating these demons, the marine moves to the gallery, where he does battle with two vagaries and a swarm of trites. He then gains access to the Excavation Transfer lift which will take him to the final level of the game.
- Malcolm Betruger (voice only)
- Tablets. Found in Levitation Room.
- Ancient Civilization. Found in Levitation Room. The same video disk can be found in Site 3.
The enemy count on Nightmare is the same as on Veteran.
* Some imps in this level are spawned by one of the arch-viles, thus their amount can vary. Here only number of distinct spawn points is shown.
The amount of items is the same on all skill levels. There's no difference in the amount of items in BFG Edition.
|Med kit (small)||5|
|Med kit (large)||2|
|Storage room 11 key||1|
There are two health stations on the level, one in the Storage room with 74 health in reserve. The second is in the Levitation area and must be activated by turning on the generator in the Room of Stars.
If the player starts the level via a console command, they will start with these items:
- In Main Excavation there are many supplies located on the construction platforms, which can be climbed from the sides like ladders. More of these platform are spread out through the temple and they usually have supplies as well.
- In The Gallery there is a BFG charge located behind one of the crates.
- The level contains four generators which the player can switch on and off, three of which are optional. The first generator is just outside the entrance to the ancient ruins, and it will cause two Hell knights to appear if switched on. The second is just inside the entrance, and will turn on on some lights inside the ruins; but will cause several trites to appear as well. The third generator is in the Room of Stars and will activate a health station in the previous room with the levitation machines (the health station is on the floor, and if the generator is not switched on then it would be unusable); two wraiths and an imp will appear if you go back to use it. The final generator is in the room at the end of the level with the lift, and is necessary to activate the lift to exit the level.
- In the Room of Stars, if the player gets close to one of the small holes through which the trites crawl out, an imp will spawn near the player.