Combat shotgun (Doom Eternal)
The combat shotgun returns in Doom Eternal, with properties similar to its previous incarnation from Doom (2016). It is the Doom Slayer's personal weapon before hunting down the Hell Priests, as he keeps it inside of a case during the introductory cinematic.
The weapon retains an explosive shot mod, albeit now firing an explosive gel that adheres to targets before detonating, requiring a reload after three shots (with remaining ammunition indicated on the crosshair). The explosive shot also deals extra damage to weak spots, enabling one to destroy, for example, the arachnotron's cannon or the revenant's rocket launchers. Replacing the original charged burst is a new automatic firing mode wherein the weapon behaves like a street sweeper, with three rotary barrels.
- Sticky Bombs
- The combat shotgun can fire explosive projectiles that stick to surfaces and enemies, detonating shortly after they make contact with their target; if the sticky bomb attaches to a destructible weak spot (e.g. the Arachnotron's turret), it will produce a larger explosion that deals more damage. If fired into a cacodemon's open mouth, it will eat the bomb and become staggered for an easy glory kill. Three sticky bombs can be fired before the weapon needs to reload.
- Full Auto
- Briefly converts the combat shotgun into an automatic weapon, greatly increasing its fire rate and making it more effective against strong but slow-moving enemies. However, it will consume ammo at a faster rate.
- Quick Recovery
- Full auto mode recovery speed is increased by 50%
- Faster Transform
- Full auto mode transform speed is increased by 50%
- Fast Feet
- Movement speed when in full auto mode increased by 20%
- Mastery- Salvo Extender
- Killing a demon with the full auto mod active will drop shell ammo.
- Mod is unlocked by killing 15 pinkies with the full auto mode.
- Quick Rack
- Sticky bomb reload speed is increased by 20%
- Bigger Boom
- Sticky bomb explosion size is increased by 45%
- Mastery - Five Spot
- Launch 5 sticky bombs before having to reload the mod.
- Mod is unlocked by destroying 15 arachnotron turrets using sticky bombs.
Despite a wealth of armament options for the modern combat specialist, this trusty workhorse remains a firm favorite among operatives. When matched against super-heated plasmoids or gauss driven projectiles, the ballistic impact of the Combat Shotgun holds its own. The simplicity of the design ensures the weapon is extremely quick and reliable, yet the vast array of ammunition types make it versatile and flexible. Colloquially known as the "Crowd Appeaser", a locked and loaded Combat Shotgun will pacify even the most riotous of assailants.
- In a minor break of series tradition, wherein the protagonist usually starts off with a pistol, the Doom Slayer starts off with a combat shotgun, along with the Doomblade, in Doom Eternal.
- The pistol was implemented in the game, but it is unobtainable outside of console commands.
The player moves to attack a mancubus with the shotgun.
The Combat Shotgun as it appears in the Codex.
|Weapons from Doom Eternal|
|Single player:||Ballista • BFG-9000 • Chaingun • Chainsaw • Combat shotgun • Crucible • Heavy cannon • Plasma rifle • Rocket launcher • Super shotgun • Unmaykr|
|DLC - TAGP2:||Sentinel Hammer|
|Side arms:||Doomblade • Flame belch • Frag grenade • Ice bomb|
|Offensive abilities:||Blood punch • Dash|
|Progression:||Weapon modification • Weapon upgrade|