Communications Transfer: Maintenance and Transfer Station
|Doom 3 maps|
|Map name: game/commoutside|
Communications Transfer: Maintenance and Transfer Station is the tenth level of Doom 3. There are several outdoor areas in this level. The first cacodemon appears at the start, and the Chainsaw Zombie makes its first appearances here. The berserk powerup appears for the first out of two times in the game. The player must use a mobile service lift to get to the exit.
There are also three sections where the marine is exposed to the outdoor atmosphere.
The marine starts inside an airlock and needs to go through a short surface area (where a new enemy, the cacodemon, is encountered), a service station, including maintenance crawlway, and through another surface area underneath the station to get to the transfer station.
Once inside the transfer station, the marine goes through the garage where Swann and Campbell are seen travelling by car to the Communications. The marine needs to find a James Holiday's PDA in a nearby storage room to update the clearance level, but upon picking it up, is confronted by another new enemy: the chainsaw zombies. After unlocking the door, the marine goes through a dark corridor that is glowing with satanic symbols under the Hell's influence. The marine then goes through another area corrupted by hell, this time it has a large lava rift on the floor. In fact, the whole station is corrupted, with fleshy growth encountered in many areas.
To exit the station and reach the communications facility, the marine needs to travel to Station 3 and exit through the door there, but it is locked, so the marine needs to go to the security room in order to unlock it. To reach the security room, the marine has to call the transportation lift to either Station 1 or 2 and, using it, move to the catwalk above the rails on the way to Station 3, then ascend the lift to jump onto it. One of the door from the catwalk will lead to the security station.
After removing the look, travelling to Station 3 and exiting it, the marine will suddenly be trapped in a room with a Berserker power up and a large group of zombies. After a quick punch-out, the marine finds the airlock exit out of the station and goes through the last surface section of the level and reaches the Communications.
- Service Lift
- Use the service lift to reach the upper control room in order to unlock the maintenance area doors
Note: this table includes only enemies that can be fought and killed. The enemy count on Nightmare is the same as on Veteran. There are no changes in the enemy amount in the BFG Edition.
|Machine gun Z-Secs||3|
The item count on Nightmare is the same as on Veteran, except the med kits are absent. The only item change in the BFG Edition is the addition of one more air canister to the level.
|Med kits (small)||23||21||20|
|Med kits (large)||14||13|
* Two of the air canisters are unobtainable since they're located inside the facility where they're not required and thus cannot be picked up. In BFG Edition one more canister is added to the level, to the total of 18.
There are two health stations on the level, with 50 health in reserve each (both have 100 health in reserve in BFG Edition).
If the player starts the level via a console command, they will start with these items:
- In the first outdoor section, one can go to the left and find a hidden passage that leads below the mountains where some supplies can be found.
- In service room 1 B, right when the player has to descent a set of stairs, there's a small piece of machinery sticking out of the right wall. If the player looks at it from the stairs' side, a very small control panel can be seen which, if pressed, will reveal a small alcove in the room downstairs.
- The frightening - but harmless - monster head that pops out at the player early in this level says the words, "Metus, dolor, mors ac formidonis" which is Latin for "Fear, pain, death and terror."