|Initial release||1.0 (2014-03-10, 4 years ago)|
|Latest release||5.3 (2018-08-12, 4 days ago)|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
Crispy Doom is a source port developed by Fabian Greffrath forked from Chocolate Doom which provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine, and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining fully compatible with the configuration file, save games, netplay, and demos created by the vanilla engine. It aims to provide a faithful Doom gaming experience while also featuring some user-requested improvements and enhancements.
- Enhanced 640x400 display resolution, with the original 320x200 resolution still available in the "High Resolution Rendering: Off" mode.
- Uncapped framerate option, resulting in unlimited framerate in case of vertical synchronization turned off or matching the screen refresh rate if vsync is on. In case of framerate set to Vanilla 35 fps vsync can also be disabled or enabled (the latter is the way Chocolate Doom renderer works, to prevent screen tearing).
- Intermediate gamma correction levels (0.5, 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5).
- Removal of all static engine limits, or at least raising of the less crucial ones.
- Full support for the Doom Classic WADs shipped with Doom 3: BFG Edition, including the No Rest for the Living expansion.
- Free vertical looking, including mouselook and vertical aiming.
- Aiming support by a crosshair which may be directly rendered into the game world.
- A new minimal Crispy HUD, displaying only the status bar numbers.
- Clean Screenshot feature, enabling to take screenshots without burning the crosshair and HUD messages into them. If Crispy HUD is on, the weapon and status bar numbers are not imprinted in the screenshot either, so if you need to take a screenshot without any signs of the player's presence, enable the Crispy HUD.
- Colorized status bar numbers, HUD texts and blood sprites for certain monsters.
- Translucency for certain sprites and status bar elements in the Crispy HUD.
- Randomly mirrored death animations and corpse sprites.
- Command line options to allow for playing with flipped player weapon sprites and/or entirely flipped level geometry.
- Players may walk over or under monsters and hanging corpses.
- Centered weapons when firing, weapon recoil thrust and pitch.
- Message when secrets are found.
- Level statistics in the automap.
- Playing sounds (e.g. chainsaw start sound) in full length, deliberately preserving the silent BFG trick.
- Miscellaneous sound fixes.
All of these features are disabled by default and need to be enabled either in the in-game "Crispness" menu, via the crispy-doom-setup tool or as command line parameters. They are implemented in a way that preserves demo compatibility with vanilla Doom and network game compatibility with Chocolate Doom.
Crispy Doom strives for maximum compatibility with all limit-removing vanilla maps, but does not support Boom or ZDoom maps. Many additional less user-visible features have been implemented, including repair of game engine limitations and bugs, full support for DeHackEd files and lumps in BEX format, additional and improved cheat codes, an improved automap, and more. Due to the extra DeHackEd states added from MBF Crispy Doom supports PerK & NightFright's Black Ops smooth weapons add-on converted to DEHACKED by VGA and Gifty's Smooth Doom smooth monster animations converted to DEHACKED by VGA that can make the gameplay even more pleasing to the eyes (but may conflict with other loaded DeHackEd patches contained in levels, etc.)
Versions of Heretic, Hexen, and Strife built on the Crispy Doom code base are not in active development. From version 5.2 on, Crispy Doom binaries include Crispy Heretic that is to be put into the folder with Chocolate Heretic installation to work and differs from Chocolate in having engine static limits removed/raised, slime trails removed, tutti-frutti effect fixed and intermediate gamma levels implemented. Crispy Heretic, Hexen and Strife are not in active development.
- Download Crispy Doom (Win32 build)
- Daily Git build for Windows
- Supplementary music pack
- Crispy Doom website with full description, manual and changelog
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|
|Chocolate Doom||Crispy Doom||None|