|Initial release||1.0 (2014-03-10, 3 years ago)|
|Latest release||4.0 (2017-03-11, 20 days ago)|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
Crispy Doom is source port forked from Chocolate Doom which provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine, and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining fully compatible with the configuration file, save games, netplay, and demos created by the vanilla engine. It aims to provide a faithful Doom gaming experience while also featuring some user-requested improvements and enhancements.
- Enhanced 640x400 display resolution, with the original 320x200 resolution still available in the "Graphics Detail: Low" mode.
- Removal of all static engine limits, or at least raising of the less crucial ones.
- Full support for the Doom Classic WADs shipped with Doom 3: BFG Edition, including the No Rest for the Living expansion.
- Free vertical looking, including mouselook and vertical aiming.
- A new minimal Crispy HUD, displaying only the status bar numbers.
- Colorized status bar numbers, HUD texts and blood sprites for certain monsters.
- Translucency for certain sprites and status bar elements in the Crispy HUD.
- Randomly mirrored death animations and corpse sprites.
- Players may walk over or under monsters and hanging corpses.
- Aiming support by a crosshair which may be directly rendered into the game world.
- Centered weapons when firing, weapon recoil thrust and pitch.
- Message when secrets are found.
- Level statistics in the automap.
All of these features are disabled by default and need to be enabled either in the in-game "Crispness" menu or via the crispy-doom-setup tool. They are implemented in a way that preserves demo compatibility with vanilla Doom and network game compatibility with Chocolate Doom.
Crispy Doom strives for maximum compatibility with all limit-removing vanilla maps, but does not support Boom or ZDoom maps. Many additional less user-visible features have been implemented, including repair of game engine limitations and bugs, full support for DeHackEd files and lumps in BEX format, additional and improved cheat codes, an improved automap, and more.
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|
|Chocolate Doom||Crispy Doom||None|