|Initial release||1.0.0 (2006-08-08, 13 years ago)|
|Latest release||1.2.1 (2011-08-20, 8 years ago)|
|Target Platform||Nintendo DS|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
DS Doom (also spelled DSDoom) is a source port for the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi, based on PrBoom 2.4.2. It was made by Chuck Moyes (TheChuckster), Dave Murphy (WinterMute), and Wouter Groeneveld (Jefklak). The latest official version is 1.2.1. Being a homebrew application, the player must use a DS flash card or a modded DSi/3DS in order to play it on their DS.
- All IWADs compatible with PrBoom 2.4.2 are compatible with DS Doom.
- Command line parameters can be loaded from .argv files in flash card menus that support the argv protocol, such as Homebrew Menu. This means that, among other things, PWADs and DeHackEd patches can be loaded.
- Both screens render at 320x200 resolution, which is then scaled down to the DS's native 256x192. In addition to making the entire view fit on the screen, this also serves as a form of aspect ratio correction.
- 3D view runs fullscreen, without the status bar.
- The second screen displays the automap, including the status bar.
- The screens used for the 3D view and automap can be swapped by the user.
- Sound effects with stereo panning.
- Multiplayer network play using a PrBoom server and the DS's built-in Wi-Fi support.
- Utilizes the PrBoom 2.4.2 configuration file.
- Runs in DSi mode when played on a Nintendo DSi and takes advantage of the extra RAM and CPU speed.
- On-screen keyboard for naming save games.
Limitations and bugs
- Configuration file changes are not saved.
- Save games can become corrupted and unusable. The game may also crash while saving.
- There is no music support.
- Crashes, while uncommon, do occur.
- Does not make use of the DS's hardware-based 3D rendering capability.
- DS Doom - Jefklak's Codex (archived 🏛)
|Source code genealogy|