Disc of Repulsion
The Disc of Repulsion is an artifact from Hexen, appearing as a disc made of several golden rings. When activated, it hurls nearby enemies and projectiles a safe distance away from the player, dealing a small amount of damage to any monsters that collide with a wall or other object, including another enemy. Monsters that collide with one another will start fighting as if they had been attacked.
Like other artifacts the Discs are stackable, and up to 25 may be carried at a time. Its default hotkey is 9.
- The Disc of Repulsion can be used to deflect incoming projectiles. Due to the upward angle of repulsed objects, the deflected projectile generally won't strike the creature that fired it. This is rarely the most effective use of Discs, but it should be noted that most seeking attacks (Bloodscourge and Wraithverge shots in particular) will become "yours" if you deflect them, and will seek and injure your enemies.
- Walking creatures harassing the player near a cliff can be flung over the edge to their deaths.
- The infighting effect caused by the Disc of Repulsion means that slamming Ettins or Centaurs together will get them to fight each other to the death, even though their status as melee enemies means they do not normally cause infighting among their own kind.
- The Cleric can combine the Disc of Repulsion with a Fléchette to make a projectile attack. Once the gas cloud appears, it can be launched at an enemy with the Disc.
- Discs of Repulsion are particularly useful for the Mage, pushing enemies away to help him to avoid the crowded melee situations where he is most vulnerable.
- Discs of Repulsion can repel enemies behind solid walls.
In the code used to reflect missiles and re-assign ownership of seeking missiles, only certain thing types are handled, while others are neglected possibly by mistake. One such projectile that will still home in on its original target is the Dark bishop's spiraling magic attack.
In Hexen's 1.0 version, the pickup messages for Chaos Device and Disc of Repulsion artifacts are swapped - picking up Chaos Device artifact will display "Disc Of Repulsion" message, and respectively, grabbing Disc of Repulsion item will cause "Chaos Device" message to appear.
|Disc of Repulsion data|
|Thing type||10110 (decimal), 277E (hex)|
The IWADs contain the following numbers of discs of repulsion per skill level:
|Health||Crystal Vial | Quartz Flask | Mystic Urn|
|Armor||Amulet of Warding | Dragonskin Bracers | Falcon Shield | Mesh Armor | Platinum Helm|
|Artifacts||Banishment Device | Boots of Speed | Chaos Device | Dark Servant | Disc of Repulsion | Dragonskin Bracers | Fléchette | Icon of the Defender | Krater of Might | Mystic Ambit Incant | Mystic Urn | Porkalator | Quartz Flask | Torch | Wings of Wrath|
|Others||Ammo | Keys | Puzzle Artifacts|