Doom 2D is a fan-made DOS-based freeware side-scrolling video game based upon Doom, similar to Doom 2D - Knee deep in the dead. Doom 2D is essentially the original Doom translated into a two-dimensional arcade or console-like shooter, comparable to the original Duke Nukem. The player resumes their role as Doomguy, who must do battle with various hell-spawn.
Originally appearing entirely in Russian, eventually a partially-translated English version appeared and both are still available for free on the Internet.
The story of Doom 2D is presumably the same as that of the original Doom, which contained very few story details in-game. Doom 2D has even less in-game plot developments than this, simplifying the already simple objectives found in Doom games.
Gameplay utilizes a simple and customizable set of keys to navigate a 2D environment and defeat and pass monsters. The game also offers splitscreen mode for two-player cooperative-play or deathmatch options, which can be played using different keys on a single keyboard.
Visual styles and creatures
Doom 2D includes all the monsters from Doom II (with exception of spectres and Wolfenstein SS) along with three new monsters. The creatures are seen from the side (as opposed to the front, as it is in Doom) due to the different perspective. All monsters are completely deaf (the players' shootings never wake up the monsters as long as the shots do not hit them). The game features foreground and background pictures both taken from original Doom and new ones (though many of them are unused). The sound effects in the game are also taken from the original Doom but are played in poor quality.
The game features 19 maps without secret levels, though they can be still used in custom levels. Authors claimed that they tired of making these maps, therefore so few maps are made. The map size is always of 100x100 dimensions.
- Doom 2D download page at Doom2D.org - DOS versions 1.30 and 1.40, source code, patches and mods. Russian language.
- Doom 2D at Home of the Underdogs
- Doom 2D at Games Showcase - Source to download the translated game.
- Doom 2D: Forever - an open source OpenGL remake with many extra features, for Windows, Android and (unofficial) Linux. Site is in Russian, but the game is bilingual. Game includes single player, cooperative, deathmatch, and CTF multiplayer, as well as a powerful level editor.
- Doom 2D Multiplayer - a WIP Doom 2D remake which focuses on online multiplayer via LAN and Internet. The game is also in Russian, but an English translation is available here.
- Doom 2D, first episode - Another 2D Doom platformer. Arguably more faithful to original Doom than the original Doom 2D. Lacks multiplayer, has some bugs and only has one episode.
- Doom 2D download at Squakenet.com - Introduction video, reviews and game download.