Doom Eternal version history
This article is a listing of updates to Doom Eternal and a summary of the changes made to the game in each version.
- 1 Update 1
- 2 Update 1.1
- 3 Update 2
- 4 Update 2.1
- 5 Update 3
- 6 Update 4
- 7 Update 4.1
- 8 Update 5
- 9 Update 6
- 9.1 New content
- 9.2 General updates
- 9.3 Campaign changes
- 9.4 Bug fixes
- 9.5 Bugs introduced
- 9.6 Battlemode updates
- 10 Update 6.1
- 11 Battlemode updates in 2020
- 11.1 April 9
- 11.2 April 23
- 11.3 May 7
- 11.4 June 11
- 11.5 June 18
- 11.6 July 2
- 11.7 July 16
- 11.8 July 23
- 11.9 August 13
- 11.10 August 27
- 11.11 September 24
- 11.12 October 29
- 11.13 November 19
- 12 Battlemode updates in 2021
- 13 Sources
- 14 References
Update 1 was the first major update to Doom Eternal, released simultaneously on all platforms on May 14, 2020.
- Added empowered demons.
- Added echelon leveling to Battlemode.
- Added favorite codes as a way to add friends to the favorites list.
- Added Denuvo Anti-Cheat software as a required install for PC users.
- Addressed issues with environmental damage from water and slime, particularly while swimming: damage taken while swimming was reduced, added ability to dash vertically when in water, relocated the rad suit in Taras Nabad to directly in-front of the first water area, removed all difficulty damage scaling for both water and slime.
- Added Maykr drone campaign tutorial during first encounter in Urdak.
- Added an option for "hold" or "press" functionality for double dash.
- Increased the effectiveness of plasma rifle microwave mod damage over time.
- Battlemode tutorials are now required for first-time players when entering the mode.
- Added functionality to take disciplinary action against players who exploit Battlemode by prematurely exiting matches or are abusive on voice chat.
- Added death report to Battlemode, displaying a damage report showing players what killed them.
- Added indicator for healing demon players to Battlemode.
- Messaging and indicator icons added to clarify state of servers, lobbies, and quality of network connections.
Battlemode balance changes
- Removed damage reduction when the Marauder's wolf is summoned.
- Increased wolf-summoning cool down from 21 seconds to 24 seconds.
- Arch-vile teleport cooldown increased from 4.5 seconds to 5.5 seconds.
- Arch-vile flame wall shield duration decreased from 4.0 seconds to 3.5 seconds.
- Pain elemental soul shield duration decreased from 4.0 seconds to 3.5 seconds.
- All customized character and weapon skins appear correctly all the time.
- One of the bodies in Urdak now displays properly.
- Slayer’s hand no longer becomes stuck in place when switching weapons while picking up the frag grenade.
- Using the IDKFA cheat code in mission select no longer causes weapons mods to equip on top of each other.
- Rocket launcher is no longer removed from the player’s arsenal when quitting the game immediately after completing the combat sequence where it is acquired in the Cultist Base.
- Progress in Exultia is no longer blocked after dying or quitting immediately before the doors open to the Sentinel plaza.
- Marauder skins no longer display incorrectly during animations outside of gameplay in Battlemode.
- End of match scoreboard no longer inaccurately represents player scores during Battlemode matches.
- Rare issue on Penance map repaired which caused black artifacts to obscure player vision.
- Slayer Gate keys no longer disappear on first playthrough of a level after activating a cheat code.
- Crash fixed when demon players load into the Extraction map from a post-match lobby in Battlemode.
- BFG kills no longer fail to increment Weapons Expert stat.
- Rare Battlemode issue with Slayer quitting no longer results in one or both demons' games crashing.
- Players no longer sometimes spawn outside of the map at match start in Battlemode.
- Fixed a crash when loading into Mars Core directly from the Fortress of Doom.
- Fixed an issue in which the default Slayer hands would appear when color variants of the classic Doom Marine skin were equipped while using the classic weapon pose.
- Chromatic aberration settings no longer reset after quitting the game.
- Barrel blast challenge now increments correctly when killing demons by shooting barrels.
- Blood puncher challenge no longer increments past the goal limit of 20.
- Fixed issue in which the number of completed milestones displayed was not accurate for some players.
- Doors in the Fortress of DOOM were sometimes invisible.
- Some players could not complete Taras Nabad after fast traveling to the Slayer Gate and reloading that checkpoint.
- ARC Complex Master Level summary screen now shows the correct XP gained.
- Flame effects now show up correctly for the Demonic Slayer skin on while on climbable walls.
- Power-ups were not working correctly during fourth-round Battlemode matches.
- Demon summon icons would flash briefly for some users at the start of Battlemode rounds.
- Player could become locked in a melee animation when rapidly switching to chainsaw or crucible, immediately followed by a melee attack.
- Fixed issue with automap appearing dim for PC users while running in HDR display mode.
- Anti-cheat bans will be issued more aggressively starting with this Update; players who are identified to be cheating will be notified that they are blocked from all multiplayer content.
- Fixed a crash on some older graphics cards while running in fullscreen mode.
- Removed AMD HDR warning message on startup.
- Changing to borderless windowed mode and then alt-tabbing could sort the game behind other open windows.
- Windows taskbar could display when alt-tabbing while in borderless windowed mode.
- Lost souls from the pain elemental’s soul shield moved erratically with v-sync disabled.
- Fixed a crash when launching Doom or Doom II from the Slayer's retro computer in the Fortress of Doom.
- Reduced input latency on Google Stadia.
Update 1 patched the game on Windows to include Denuvo anti-cheat technology, which operates by installing a kernel-mode driver. Some were concerned this would open up their computers to security vulnerabilities, while others claimed of performance losses caused by the patch. Though not officially supported, the game also previously had a platinum-level rating on ProtonDB regarding its compatibility with Steam's Proton for Linux, which was downgraded to unplayable due to Denuvo not supporting the operating system. This led users to review bomb the game on Steam over the decision. On May 20, id Software went on record stating that they would remove Denuvo anti-cheat upon the game's next patch due the following week, and would re-evaluate how they would implement anti-cheating measures in the game. The following week, the anti-cheat software was confirmed to be removed from the game.
Update 1.1 was a relatively small update to Doom Eternal for PC only, released on May 27, 2020. It was primarily pushed forward with a fast turn-around time in order to address the controversial addition of Denuvo Anti-Cheat in Update 1.
- Removed Denuvo Anti-Cheat integration.
- Fixed several crashes associated with customizable skins.
- Fixed memory-related crashes affecting some users.
- Reverted a VRAM allocation change that caused some users to experience degraded performance with Update 1 (this issue had been conflated by many with the addition of Denuvo Anti-Cheat).
- Added a new Battlemode arena level, Torment.
- Empowered demons occur more often and drop more health and ammunition when killed. However, the name of the last player killed by the demon is no longer displayed, and is replaced with generic "Empowered <species name>" text.
- Network latency was improved for Battlemode.
- Changes were made to the UI for claiming booster XP, making the process faster and more clear.
- Photo mode received improved lighting for the Slayer model.
- It is now possible to pin a favorite model/podium combination from among the configured characters to appear on the main menu. Previous behavior was to continue showing the last character viewed on the menu.
- Items in the customization menu display more information about their origin cosmetics event, and display the information continually rather than only when first selected.
- Every Battlemode demon now has its own set of keybinding settings.
- New render modes added, including Gritty, Cinematic, Black & White, DOOM Classic, and more.
- Fixed a number of exploits in the campaign that would allow the player to climb outside the maps.
- Pinned weekly challenges no longer remain pinned if they expire.
- Fixed a number of graphical issues in the campaign where parts of the environment would temporarily pop in and out of view.
- Fixed an issue on the Mission Select menu where secrets were not properly displaying as completed.
- Fixed an issue where the Crucible would consume more ammunition than intended in some situations.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the "Party Mode" cheat code from activating properly.
- Fixed an issue with the chaingun energy shield mod in Battlemode that prevented the Slayer from taking damage from any angle while active rather than only against attacks directed from the front.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that caused the carcass shield to not play sound on activation.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where demon players would not hear the arbalest charging in some situations
- Fixed a rare issue in Battlemode where the Marauder’s wolf summon ability would become stuck on cooldown.
- Fixed a crash that occurred when navigating the social and settings menus while the on-screen keyboard was active.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where power up pop-up text failed to display for Russian players.
- Fixed a crash in Battlemode on the post-match screen in private matches.
- Fixed an issue that would allow the energy shield mod to remain active permanently after being destroyed by a rocket barrage.
- Fixed an issue that prevented arch-vile players from activating the flame wall ability in some situations.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that would cause projectiles from the prowler, cacodemon, baron of Hell and arachnotron to remain suspended in midair.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that caused the Marauder’s dash to not play sound for other players.
- Using the super shotgun's flaming meathook on shield soldiers now correctly generates armor shards.
Xbox One only
- Fixed a control lock that occurred when entering photo mode during a glory kill.
- Fixed a rare issue that would cause the player to exit the map when rapidly melee attacking the Khan Maykr.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that would causes damage indicators to persist on screen after respawning.
- Fixed an issue while hosting a party that could prevent the host from chatting or queuing after suspending the title.
- The change to Crucible ammo behavior caused the infinite ammo cheat to no longer apply to it, allowing only three uses of the weapon in most levels of the game. This bug has not been acknowledged by id Software.
- Accessing Master Levels from the Fortress of Doom became non-functional for some players.
- Weapon quick switch functionality was compromised.
Some changes made in Update 2 which were not included in the change log have been noted by players:
- Empowered demons no longer reward the player with XP for the cosmetic event system.
- The Marauder is no longer vulnerable to distraction by the ice bomb.
Update 2.1 was released for all platforms on August 4, 2020.
- Weapon quick switch functionality restored.
- Further Battlemode network latency improvements.
- The mancubus can now fire its weapons after initiating a double jump in Battlemode.
- Maykr drones were added back to some Battlemode load-outs, but with the bonus Slayer drops for head shots removed.
Battlemode balance updates - PC-only
- Slayer precision bolt damage against player demons reduced from 400 damage to 300 damage.
- Slayer’s starting bullet ammo reduced from 84 bullets to 72 bullets.
- Gladiator no longer fails to drop health while staggered.
- The Khan Maykr no longer fails to drop health when blood punched.
- Fixed a rare issue where AI became invulnerable after a failed glory kill.
- Fixed an issue with zombies rag-dolling incorrectly when killed.
- Fixed baron of Hell leg animations sometimes displaying incorrectly.
- Fixed a graphical issue with gibs that display when glory killing the arch-vile from the front.
- Fixed an issue in Extra Life mode that caused extra lives to be removed during the revenant game play sequence in Cultist Base.
- Notifications for rewards no longer display repeatedly.
- Challenges no longer display on screen for an extended period if another challenge is completed while being displayed.
- Fixed a crash in Battlemode when backing out of a private match.
- Fixed a crash in Battlemode on the Round Upgrade menu.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where selecting a demon simultaneously would display podiums incorrectly.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where the Marauder's wolf did not always deal damage and explode when attacking the Slayer.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode with the damage report displaying incorrect damage numbers.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that would cause health and ammo loot visuals to persist when Loot Block was used while the slayer was chainsawing an AI.
- Fixed several descriptions for Battlemode round upgrades to more accurately reflect current functionality.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where level progress would sometimes display incorrectly to other players in the lobby.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode that would cause the title to crash when loading into a match with HDR enabled on some graphics cards.
- Fixed a rare crash when the arch-vile teleported while the BFG was equipped in Battlemode.
- Fixed an issue in Battlemode where enemy hit sound effects would revert to default after installing a new game patch.
Text and Voice Chat Prohibition system
- Players who are reported by others for toxic language in voice or text chat will be notified that they are blocked from using those features
- PC crashes dumps will automatically write to the following folder: C:\Users\username\Saved Games\id Software\DOOMEternal\Crash Dumps
- Players can now invite other players through platform interfaces
- Removed Ballista Destroyer Blade Mod and Plasma Rifle Microwave Mod from the Slayer’s inventory in Battlemode
- Optimized loot drops (ammo/health) for better network performance
- Additional performance optimizations to improve network latency
- Arch-vile Fireball Attack direct damage increased from 14 to 18
- Pain elemental Soul Shield ability duration decreased from 6s to 5s
- Mancubus Smoke Bomb ability cooldown has been decreased from 15s to 13s
- Fixed an issue causing the Super Shotgun to do more damage to a Demon player's armored ability than intended
- Fixed an issue preventing Demonic Onslaught from increasing the Marauder’s shotgun damage
- Fixed a bug that caused Sticky Bombs to unreliably attach and explode to enemies in some cases
- Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause Shield Soldiers to spawn with their shields detached
- Fixed a movement bug that caused Carcass and Cacodemon attacks to move the Slayer in the wrong direction
- Fixed a bug where the Demon Player HUD only displayed the first two digits of the cooldown timer for instant resurrect and team heal
- Fixed an issue where Cacodemons sometimes failed to drop health when killed
- Fixed an Arachnotron issue resulting in the Arachnotron’s turret occasionally failing to destroy when shot with the Precision Bolt, Sticky Bomb or Ballista
- Fixed animations in 1st person for when Demon players execute a ledge grab immediately after taking damage
- Fixed a bug causing demon players to not receive their 4th round upgrade until the next round in some situations
- Fixed an issue where the Slayer’s speed in Battlemode increased based on framerate
- Fixed a bug causing Lock-on rockets to not properly display damage feedback for demon players
- Fixed aim assist for Marauders to not be affected by framerate
- Fixed Revenant dash to not be affected by framerate
- Fixed an issue where weapon tracers would appear to pass through the Archvile’s flame wall
- Fixed Slayer’s weapon remaining in place when being killed mid-weapon swap
- Fixed an audio issue that could cause a metallic sound to loop indefinitely during matches on Torment
- Master Levels are not accessible via the Fortress of DOOM terminal. Until a fix is implemented, you can access Master Levels from the Main Menu/Campaign/Master Level interface.
- In rare cases, you may encounter player camera issues when reloading a checkpoint from the Pause Menu. Until a fix is implemented, you will need to reload a save or restart the level to resolve this issue.
- Backing out of a Party while playing the campaign on Ultra Nightmare difficulty causes the Party Tab in the Social menu to lose functionality. Until a fix is implemented, exiting, and reloading the campaign at a different difficulty will resolve the issue.
- Reloading a checkpoint or exiting to the Main Menu shortly after unlocking Fast Travel for any level may result in Fast Travel becoming unavailable. Until a fix is implemented, avoid using Fast Travel until you have completed a level entirely.
- The "Extinction Level Slayer” and “Aggressive Transfusion” Milestones can only be completed in Campaign. This will be fixed in an upcoming update.
- Resetting customized Demon controls to Default only resets the Archvile controls. Until a fix is implemented, you’ll need to manually reset custom controls for all other Demons.
- In very rare circumstances, when loading into Battlemode matches users will spawn outside the gameplay arena. Restart the game to resolve this issue.
- Kicking a player from a Battlemode match and then disconnecting can result in the player’s podium being replaced by the podium of the player who was kicked. Exit the lobby to resolve this issue.
- In rare circumstances, Battlemode parties can end up in a bad state, presenting party members with repeating error messages. This issue can be resolved by recreating the party.
- After a matchmaking failure, Battlemode menu options can appear as inaccessible in certain circumstances. Restart the title to regain access to all menu options.
Xbox One only
- Xbox One players may encounter the social menu appearing in front of the Battlemode lobby menu when loading into a private match. This issue will self-resolve.
Update 4 was released for all platforms on December 1, 2020.
- Added a new Master Level, Super Gore Nest, and Master Level mode.
- Added extra-life and ultra nightmare difficulties.
- Series X: Increased default backwards compatibility mode resolution to 4k at 60 Hz (with dynamic resolution scaling)
- Series S: Increased default backwards compatibility mode resolution to 1080p at 60 Hz (with dynamic resolution scaling)
- Added Quick Swap loading screen tip for Battlemode and Campaign.
- Added a third Live Tile on the Main Menu Campaign.
- Added End of Level Event Preview functionality which allows players to learn more about the items on their current live event progression track.
- Fixed an issue introduced in Update 3 in which completed mission challenges displayed as 0%.
- Fixed an issue introduced in Updated 3 in which players could not access Master Levels from the kiosk in the Fortress of DOOM.
- Fixed an issue in which backing out of a Party while playing the campaign on Ultra Nightmare difficulty caused the Party Tab in the Social menu to lose functionality.
- Fixed a crash after skipping the Facility Destruction cinematic after the Marauder fight in UAC Atlantica.
- Fixed an issue in which the player can remain swimming in the air after leaving the water in certain situations.
- Fixed an issue in which entering water immediately after a checkpoint save could generate a bad state if the player exited the game before reaching another checkpoint.
- Fixed an issue where the Demon player's spawned-in carcass' seismic furrows attack did not deal damage to the Slayer.
- Increased Slayer velocity when using the super shotgun meathook mod.
- Fixed an issue where the player arch-vile's fireballs may follow a canted trajectory when fired at an angle through the flame wall.
- Fixed an issue where the milestones, "Extinction-Level Slayer" and "Aggressive Transfusion" did not track progress in Battlemode.
- Fixed an issue where resetting Demon controls to default only reset the arch-vile controls.
- Fixed an issue where the Slayer player nameplate would sometimes briefly linger on the demon player’s HUD after a teleport.
- Fixed an issue on PC in Battlemode where the playable revenant's self-damage was much lower than expected.
Super Gore Nest Master Level bug fixes
- Fixed an issue which resulted in the golden combat shotgun not unlocking after completing all challenges.
- Fixed a soft lock after using the yellow gore key.
- Fixed a soft lock due to a spectre not spawning in certain conditions.
- Fixed a rare bug resulting in an extended wave of fodder zombies inside the Star Mall.
- Fixed duplicate doors sometimes appearing when dying and reloading a checkpoint, causing soft locks.
- Fixed an issue on PC where quitting to desktop while playing the level in Ultra Nightmare difficulty would erase the corresponding campaign save game.
- Fixed a soft lock sometimes occuring in the encounter outside of the hospital.
- Fixed a bug during the exterior totem battle in which the arch-vile could summon demons on the Slayer Key ledge, where they could not be killed, causing a soft lock.
The Ancient Gods, Part One bug fixes
- Fixed a crash for users of the standalone version at the end of the Slayer tutorial.
General bug fixes
- Fixed an issue which could cause all UI text to appear bolded.
- Fixed a bug which caused loading screens to remain at 99% for longer than usual.
New "Racecar" HUD Options
A new, optional feature known as the Reticle Ability Indicator allows you to position icons for certain important mechanics near your reticle so you are able to track when they are ready to use and improve your effectiveness.
New Weapon Wheel Open Delay
Adjust switch weapon versus Weapon Wheel timing based on the button press/hold.
- Fixed a variety of issues around the Blood punch not triggering, and Chainsaw input not registering a target
- Slayer BFG:
- Hitting a demon player with a Blood Punch guarantees BFG ammo to drop for the Slayer player
- Glory killing AI will no longer have a chance to drop BFG ammo
- New Slayer upgrade UAC Firepower:
- Increases plasma gun damage by 25% and reduces Ballista damage by 50%
- Replaces Slayer’s Speed Demon round upgrade
- Increased Slayer boost duration w/ the Endless Rage power upgrade from 3 to 5 sec
- Removed Master Carve ammo buff – the ammo from that upgrade has been added to the Slayer’s base kit
- Blood Punch charge is given on round start after acquiring Fists of Fury
- Cooldown reduction added to Bonus Boom upgrade
- Removed Loot Block cooldown reduction from Tactician upgrade for demon players (cooldown is now a consistent 40 sec)
- Loot Block duration increased from 3 to 3.5 sec
- BFG ammo is no longer affected by Loot Block
- Team Heal:
- Behavior has been changed to heal-over-time instead of instant heal
- 8 sec duration - No change in heal percentages - still 30% on PC and 20% on Console
- Noxious Hazard ability damage no longer stacks when two are placed on top of a Slayer player
- Demon respawn protection increased from 3 to 5 sec
- Fixed an issue in which the Slayer could fire the Full Auto Mod and Sticky Bomb Mod at the same time
- Fixed a bug where vacuumed health drops that were not picked up turned invisible but remained active
- Fixed an issue that allowed the Archvile to place the Flame Wall on top of the Slayer
- Fixed a bug where the Extinction Level Slayer Milestone did not track when demon players were killed with the BFG
- Fixed a bug where reloading a checkpoint or exiting to the Main Menu shortly after unlocking Fast Travel for any level resulted in Fast Travel becoming unavailable
- Modbot – the Slayer animates for current equipped mod, not for what is acquired, then doesn't switch to new mod. This issue will be fixed in an upcoming update. In the interim, manually equip the new mod as a workaround.
- VFX persist when killed while under the effects of Team Heal
- The Slayer can burn a Chainsaw pip when attempting to use the Chainsaw on a ledge-grabbing demon
- The Revenant's lasers may persist in third person after firing a Rocket Barrage
- Skyboxes appear grainy on the AMD Vega 56 GPU
- For best performance on the NVIDIA GTX 1650 GPU, use driver version 457.51
- Players using an NVIDIA GTX 1050i may experience a black flickering effect when playing with V-Sync set to “Triple Buffering” or “On”. If encountered, use a different V-Sync setting as a workaround.
- The Archvile’s Flame Wall upgrade may not consistently produce fireballs when taking fire from the Slayer
Update 6 was released for all platforms on June 29, 2021. Along with content and campaign updates, this Next Gen upgrade supports new graphics modes and native applications for Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5.
- Added a new Master Level, Taras Nabad.
- Added a new Battlemode arena level, Corrosion.
- Added the Ray Tracer skin for the ballista.
- Added ray tracing rendering support for PC, Xbox Series X, and PlayStation 5.
- General gameplay:
- Ice Bombs now freeze the DOOM Hunter boss variants
- Adjusted hit detection volume for Tentacle to be more accurate to what player sees, making it easier to hit
- Reduced welcome message duration by 1 second
- Difficulty level balance adjustments
Doom Eternal campaign
- Fortress of Doom: Added UI pop-up to remind players that they have unspent Sentinel Batteries
The Ancient Gods - Part One & Part Two
- Lowered damage values for Blood Maykr cruciform and javelin attacks by 15%
- Reduced the Plasma Rifle's Microwave Beam ammo cost to dispatch Spirits
The Ancient Gods - Part One
- UAC Atlantica Facility: Reverted balance changes introduced with Update 5 that removed some AI to the first arena after the timed fan puzzle that launches you across the channel and the destroyed oil rig arena that follows shortly thereafter
- Changes in Trial of Maligog boss fight
- Balance adjustments in Samur boss fight
The Ancient Gods - Part Two
- Added a distinct sound cue to indicate when Cursed Prowlers spawn into the world
- Player now automatically receives a Blood Punch charge after being Cursed
- Reduced amount of health that the Dark Lord receives after hitting the player during boss fight
- General quality of life improvements to Demonic Trooper
- Stone Imp no longer takes damage from the Chaingun Energy Shield
- Fixed issue on attacks where the Dreadknight smashes the ground or uses both arms to swipe were dealing more damage than intended
Doom Eternal campaign
- Fixed Modbot issue where the Slayer animated for the currently equipped mod, not for what was acquired, then didn't switch to new mod
The Ancient Gods - Part Two
- Fixed issue where Savagery rune was not applying to Armored Baron and Chaingunner
- Fixes in Dark Lord boss fight
- All platforms Battlemode: Archvile Flame Wall color may look inconsistent when activated in the air after taking the Flame Specialist upgrade
- Bandwidth utilization optimizations to help mitigate game-related server hitches
- Added jump pad cooldowns to specific groups of jump pads that could be exploited through constant use in Forsaken, Penance and Celestial
- Increased teleporter cooldown to from 10 sec to 15 sec
Added Primary Charger Heavy Cannon Micro Missiles upgrade to Slayer base kit
- Primary Charger – Kills with the Heavy Cannon will boost Micro Missiles damage by 30% for 5 sec
Added Salvo Extender Combat Shotgun Full Auto upgrade to Slayer base kit
- Salvo Extender – Killing a demon with the Full Auto mod will drop shell ammo
Removed Faster Recovery upgrade from the Chaingun's Energy Shield, which has increased the Energy Shield's recharge time by 37.5%
- Increased damage dealt to Chaingun Energy Shield by Demon Players from 2.5x to 4x
- Increased Flame Belch cooldown with Burning Hate upgrade to 15 sec up from 12.5 sec
- Fist of fury behavior updated to allow the Slayer to get a Blood Punch charge from one glory kill and reduced damage resistance to 35%, down from 50%
- Reduced Endless Rage duration from 5 sec to 4 sec
- The Slayer's Precision Bolt and Ballista do less damage at certain distances when used against Demon Players
- Demon Players can now summon AI and place rad hazards and healing zones on the floating platforms in Tundra
- On respawn, Demon Players are given Haste and deal half damage for 5 seconds (on top of their typical armored/damage reduction status effect)
- Removed ability for healing zones to double stack and heal more
- Increased Noxious Hazard damage to from 12 dmg to 15 dmg
- Adjusted flame shield VFX to be more consistent with shield hitbox
- Added invulnerability during teleport animation
- Reworked Fire Specialist round upgrade to cause increased damage when the caster's projectile passes through the upgraded shield (indicated by a purple-ish colored shield & projectile)
- Summoner Loadout name changed to Defensive
- Replaced Shield Soldier with Maykr Drone in Defensive Loadout
- Increased vertical ascension speed by 50% after a short delay for the jetpack
- Remove Armored from Defensive loadout and replaced with Haste
- Replaced Shield Soldier with Prowler in Defensive loadout
- Added 50% damage reduction during Rocket Barrage attack
Replaced Acrobat with the new Sadist round upgrade
- Primary fire deals 20% more damage and fires 25% faster at or below 30% health
- These rockets cause knock back and significant self-damage if detonated too close to the Revenant
- Rocket Barrage should not trigger knockback
- Replaced Shield Soldier with Carcass in Summoner loadout
- Improved Mancubus smoke mortar concealing demon player outlines when inside the smoke
- Updated Team Heal power upgrade to stack with the Bigger Bar round upgrade
- Doubled health return per hit for Thieving Hand round upgrade
- Increased damage reduction from demonic onslaught from 10% to 20%
- Reduced starting cell ammo from 225 to 200 (now the same as on PC)
- Reduced Super Shotgun damage cap to 900 dmg against Demon Players (now the same as on PC)
- Increased Super Shotgun per trace damage against Marauder & Revenant (dmg still capped at 900)
- Reduced teleport cooldown by half a second
- Added delay between smoke bomb mortar shots
- Reduced cooldown on smoke bomb from 13 sec to 11 sec
- Increased Flamethrower range by 25%
- Increased Pain Elemental shield duration by half a second (now the same as on PC)
- Increased Rocket Barrage cooldown by 5 seconds (now the same as on PC)
- Increased Rocket Barrage cooldown with Unstable Trigger upgrade by 15 seconds (now the same as on PC)
- Increased self-damage taken from Rocket Barrage from 0.5x to 5x
Update 6.1 was released for all platforms on July 14, 2021.
Campaign - all platforms
- Fixed a bug where bullets would collide with gore and ammo pickups during combat
- Fixed a bug with cacodemon pathing during the boss encounter in The Holt in The Ancient Gods - Part One
Campaign - Xbox Series X|S only
- The controls menu now displays the correct controller image for Xbox Series X|S
Campaign - PlayStation only
- Fixed an issue where PlayStation users were prevented from rejoining private matches after being disconnected
- Fixed a crash that occurred when selecting the Challenges tab in the pause menu
- Fixed the issue players with AMD GPUs were having that caused artifacting in a number of environments
- PCs with mobile GPUs that support ray tracing can now enable this feature
- Fixed an issue where the Slayer’s weapon skins displayed the wrong customization options
- Fixed an issue where demon players would become invisible to other demons when respawning with ray tracing enabled
- Fixed Demon interface for Latin Spanish users with modified controller settings
- Fixed an issue with the social menu preventing players from selecting another player with only one favorite or friend in the list
Battlemode updates in 2020
The first balance update for Battlemode was published on April 9, 2020, for consoles only.
- Demon respawn timer increased from 20 to 22 seconds for all demons.
- The benefit of Team Heal to its caster reduced to 25% of total health, from 50% of total health. Benefit to the teammate demon was not changed.
- Strength of healing zones was reduced.
- Noxious hazard damage per tic to the Slayer reduced from 15 to 12.
- Mancubus flamethrower damage per projectile reduced from 4 to 3 damage per hit.
- Pain elemental shield cool down duration increased from 4 seconds to 5 seconds.
- Arch-vile flame wall cool down duration increased from 6 to 7 seconds.
The April 23, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Slayer's rocket launcher lock-on mode damage reduced against demon players from 300 to ~200 damage per rocket.
- Slayer ballista damage against demon players reduced from 600 to ~550 damage.
- Changes to revenant's Unstable Trigger round upgrade:
- Reduced effectiveness of the upgraded rocket barrage attack.
- Reduced number of rockets with the upgrade from 28 to 24 projectiles.
- Increased cooldown with the upgrade from 10 to 11 seconds.
- Pain elemental dash cooldown increased from 6 to 8 seconds.
The May 7, 2020 balance update for Battlemode was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Slayer ballista damage against the mancubus reduced from 550 to 250 damage.
- Mancubus received multiple buffs:
- Base projectile speed increased to 100 m/s up from 70 m/s.
- Base projectile direct hit damage increased to 10 points up from 8 points.
- Base projectile rate of fire increased by 25% (900 m/s up from 1200 m/s).
- Team Heal changed to heal both teammates 30% (down from 50% for caster, up from 25% for teammate).
- De-summoned AI demons no longer drop ammo for the Slayer.
- Healing zone effectiveness increased.
- Mancubus flamethrower damage per projectile increased to 4 damage per hit up from 3 damage per hit, returning to initial release behavior.
- Pain elemental dash cooldown reduced from 8 to 6 seconds.
The June 11, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for consoles only.
- Slayer base bullet ammo increased from 72 to 84, allowing two more heavy cannon precision bolt shots.
- Slayer base energy ammo increased from 150 to 175, allowing one more ballista shot.
The June 18, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms.
It is notable that changes made to the revenant in this update noticeably impacted the behavior of the revenant drone in the Cultist Base single-player level as well, as it uses the same data as Battlemode for its behaviors.
- Revenant jetpack base recharge delay reduced from 2s to 1s.
- Revenant afterburner recharge penalty reduced from 2s to 0s.
- Revenant twin rockets tweaked:
- Projectile speed increased from 40 m/s to 60 m/s.
- Direct hit damage reduced from 10 to 6.
- Max splash damage increased from 6 to 10.
- Min splash damage increased from 2 to 6.
- Revenant rocket barrage tweaked:
- Cooldown increased from 13s to 30s.
- Direct damage for each rocket reduced from 3 to 1.
- Max splash damage for each rocket increased from 4 to 6.
- Min splash damage for each rocket increased from 2 to 5.
- Revenant Acrobat upgrade fuel duration increased from 5s to 10s.
- Revenant Unstable Trigger upgrade total projectiles reduced from 28 to 24 rockets, and rocket barrage cooldown increased from 13s to 30s.
- Revenant Defensive action set load-out: Armored replaced with Haste.
- Revenant Demonic Onslaught power upgrade tweaked:
- Damage increase reduced from 25% to 10%.
- Duration increased from 10s to 20s.
- Added 10% damage reduction.
- Revenant rocket barrage tweaked:
- Max splash damage for each rocket increased from 4 to 5.
- Min splash damage for each rocket increased from 2 to 3.
The July 2, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Increased Slayer shell count from 12 to 16.
- Increased Slayer cell count from 150 to 175.
- Increased Slayer bullet count from 72 to 84.
- Increased Slayer cell count from 175 to 200.
- Increased Slayer bullet count from 84 to 96.
The July 16, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Revenant rocket barrage tweaked:
- Cooldown decreased from 30s to 18s.
- Self-damage scale decreased from 5 to 0.5
- Direct damage for each rocket increased from 1 to 3
- Max splash damage decreased from 6 to 4.
- Min splash damage decreased from 4 to 2.
- Slightly increased the ability's hit radius.
- Revenant Unstable Trigger upgrade cooldown decreased from 30s to 15s.
- Revenant Defensive action load-out Haste replaced with Armored.
- Slayer heavy cannon base fire damage increased from 65 to 80.
- Slayer plasma rifle base fire damage increased from 30 to 45.
- All player-spawned AI Demons damage has been reduced by roughly 15%.
- Pain elemental soul shield tweaked:
- Cooldown increased from 4s to 5s.
- Duration decreased from 4s to 3.5s.
- Pain elemental soul shield cooldown increased from 5s to 6s.
The July 23, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Revenant rocket barrage tweaked:
- Ability cooldown increased from 18s to 30s.
- Self-damage scale increased from 0.5 to 5.
- Direct damage for each rocket decreased from 3 to 1.
- Max splash damage increased from 4 to 6.
- Min splash damage increased from 2 to 4.
- Pain elemental soul shield duration increased from 3.5s to 4s.
- Pain elemental instant resurrect cooldown increased from 90s to 120s.
- Slayer energy cell ammo increased from 200 to 225.
- Slayer shotgun shell ammo increased from 16 to 20.
- Slayer rocket ammo increased from 9 to 12.
- All demons' instant resurrect cooldown increased from 90s to 150s.
- All demons' Team Heal heal amount reduced from 25% to 20%, and cooldown incresed from 90s to 120s.
- Re-summoned AI demons now drop shotgun ammo for the Slayer.
The August 13, 2020 Battlemode balance update was released for PC only.
- Slayer ballista direct damage decreased from 550 to 450.
- Slayer rocket launcher tweaked:
- Direct damage against mancubus decreased from 150 to 50.
- Splash damage reduced from 450 to 350.
The August 27, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Quick acting power upgrade removed from all player demons.
- Slayer plasma rifle direct damage increased from 45 to 50.
- Slayer starting max cells ammo capacity increased from 175 to 200.
- Arch-vile fireball attack direct damage increased from 14 to 18.
The September 24, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Marauder shotgun tweaked:
- Maximum damage decreased from 50 to 40
- Number of projectiles increased from 13 to 14
- Damage spread decreased from 6 to 5.
- Slayer rocket launcher max rocket ammo capacity decreased from 12 to 11.
The October 29, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Slayer heavy cannon base direct hit fire damage increased from 80 to 100.
- Marauder summoned wolf max damage on explosion decreased from 32 to 24.
- Demon player: Added 500ms delay from summoning until the AI appears to the following AI: carcass, Maykr drone, prowler, shield soldier, arachnotron, cacodemon, Hell knight, baron of Hell.
- Slayer ballista base damage direct hit increased from 450 to 500.
- Slayer heavy cannon precision bolt damage per hit increased from 300 to 350.
- Slayer ballista base damage direct hit increased from 550 to 600.
- Slayer super shotgun tweaked:
- Maximum damage cap per hit against demon players increased from 900 to 1000.
- The damage per-trace has been reduced slightly against player demons, resulting in a bit more oomph up close and less over medium-short to long distances.
The November 19, 2020 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Heavy demon summons for: arachnotron, cacodemon and Hell knight
- Resummon time increased from 6 to 15 seconds.
- Killed/removed time increased from 20 to 30 seconds.
- Tactician Upgraded:
- Resummon time increased from 4 to 10 seconds.
- Killed/removed time increased from 15 to 25 seconds.
Battlemode updates in 2021
The April 1, 2021 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Slayer Chaingun shield bash against player demons no longer drops BFG ammo
- Fists of Fury no longer gives the Slayer Blood Punch charges at round start
- Team Heal when applied to the Marauder is now consistent with all other demon characters at 30% up from 20%
- Noxious Hazard damage per tick increased from 12 dmg to 15 dmg
- Update April 8: Fixed Tactician Upgrade to reflect the proper Noxious Hazard damage on all platforms
The April 15, 2021 Battlemode balance update was published for all platforms simultaneously.
- Demon players:
- Increased Demon Summon cooldown & Demon Death cooldown for only the following demons: Arachnotron, Cacodemon, & Hell Knight.
- Increased base summon cooldown from 15 seconds to 20 seconds
- Increased base death summon cooldown from 30 seconds to 35 seconds
- Increased BUFF MINIONS Power Upgrade summon cooldown from 10 seconds to 15 seconds
- Increased BUFF MINIONS Power Upgrade death summon cooldown from 25 seconds to 30 seconds
- Slayer: Increased Frag Grenade cooldown with Bonus Boom from 10 seconds to 15 seconds
- Slayer: Decreased Endless Rage uptime from 5 seconds to 4 seconds
- This article incorporates text from the open-content Wikipedia online encyclopedia article Doom Eternal.
- Boyle, Joshua (14 May 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 1 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- "‘Doom Eternal’ Gets Massive Backlash Over Latest Update." www.ibtimes.com. Retrieved 22 May 2020.
- Andytizer (15 May 2020). "Denuvo Anti-Cheat patched into Doom Eternal." PCGamingWiki Forums. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Hancock, Patrick (16 May 2020). "Doom Eternal adds Denuvo on PC, immediately gets review bombed." Destructoid. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- Lee, Julia (20 May 2020). "id Software will remove Denuvo anti-cheat from PC version of Doom Eternal." Polygon. Retrieved 20 May 2020.
- Taylor, Hadyn (29 May 2020). "Denuvo security software removed from Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus." gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 22 July 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (27 May 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 1.1 (PC Only) Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 16 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (25 June 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 2 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (4 August 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 2.1 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (20 October 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 3 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 6 November 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (1 December 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 4 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (9 December 2020). "DOOM Eternal Update 4.1 Patch Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 January 2021.
- Boyle, Joshua (19 March 2021). "DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods - Part Two & Update 5 Release Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 21 March 2021.
- Boyle, Joshua (29 June 2021). "DOOM Eternal - Next Gen & Update 6 Release Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- Boyle, Joshua (14 July 2021). "DOOM Eternal - Update 6.1 Release Notes." Slayers Club. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- Boyle, Joshua (9 April 2020). "April 9 BATTLEMODE Update for Console." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (23 April 2020). "April 23 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (7 May 2020). "May 7 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (11 June 2020). "June 11 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (18 June 2020). "June 18 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (2 July 2020). "July 2 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (16 July 2020). "July 16 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (23 July 2020). "July 23 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (13 August 2020). "August 13 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 17 August 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (27 August 2020). "August 27 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (24 September 2020). "September 24 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (29 October 2020). "October 29 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (19 November 2020). "November 19 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 2 December 2020.
- Boyle, Joshua (1 April 2021). "April 1 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- Boyle, Joshua (15 April 2021). "April 15 BATTLEMODE Update." Slayers Club. Retrieved 30 June 2021.