Doom II music
The soundtrack of Doom II consists of music in MUS format composed by Robert Prince. 21 distinct tracks are present. At least some of these are known to have originally been written for Doom. Two of the tracks are re-adapted by Prince from his earlier work on Wolfenstein 3D.
|Track name||Lump||Levels||Length||Inspiration / base|
|Running From Evil||D_RUNNIN||MAP01: Entryway||03:49|
|D_RUNNI2||MAP15: Industrial Zone|
|The Healer Stalks||D_STALKS||MAP02: Underhalls||04:51|
|D_STLKS2||MAP11: Circle of Death|
|Countdown to Death||D_COUNTD||MAP03: The Gantlet||03:49|
|Between Levels||D_BETWEE||MAP04: The Focus||02:34||Wolfenstein 3D - Zero Hour (E6M4/E6M8 music)|
|DOOM||D_DOOM||MAP05: The Waste Tunnels||04:18|
|In the Dark||D_THE_DA||MAP06: The Crusher||06:57|
|D_THEDA2||MAP12: The Factory|
|D_THEDA3||MAP24: The Chasm|
|Shawn's got the Shotgun||D_SHAWN||MAP07: Dead Simple||04:17||Slayer - South of Heaven 1|
|D_SHAWN2||MAP19: The Citadel|
|D_SHAWN3||MAP29: The Living End|
|The Dave D. Taylor Blues||D_DDTBLU||MAP08: Tricks and Traps||04:59|
|D_DDTBL2||MAP14: The Inmost Dens|
|D_DDTBL3||MAP22: The Catacombs|
|Into Sandy's City||D_IN_CIT||MAP09: The Pit||04:39||Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing 1|
|The Demon's Dead||D_DEAD||MAP10: Refuelling Base||04:23||Black Sabbath - After All (The Dead)|
|Waiting for Romero to Play||D_ROMERO||MAP18: The Courtyard||05:06||Pantera - This Love|
|D_ROMER2||MAP27: Monster Condo|
|Message for the Archvile||D_MESSAG||MAP20: Gotcha!||04:38|
|D_MESSG2||MAP26: The Abandoned Mines|
|Bye bye American Pie||D_AMPIE||MAP23: Barrels o' Fun||01:38||Alice in Chains - Them Bones 1|
|Adrian's Asleep||D_ADRIAN||MAP25: Bloodfalls||01:55||Alice in Chains - Angry Chair 1|
|Getting too Tense||D_TENSE||MAP28: The Spirit World||04:42|
|Opening to Hell||D_OPENIN||MAP30: Icon of Sin||04:39|
|Evil Incarnate||D_EVIL||MAP31: Wolfenstein||01:11||Spear of Destiny - MAP21 music|
|The Ultimate Challenge/Conquest||D_ULTIMA||MAP32: Grosse||01:18||Wolfenstein 3D - Ultimate Conquest (E3M9/E6M9 music)|
|untitled||D_READ_M||Text screen music||04:47|
- The inspirations for the tracks noted above are substantiated by metadata comments found in the unreleased MIDI tracks (archived 🏛) released by John Romero, many of which are alternate versions of the MIDI tracks used in Doom.
- "The Dave D. Taylor Blues", which is present thrice in the IWAD, exists in two slightly different versions:
Lump names Size CRC-32 D_DDTBLU 64571 629660ef D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3 64808 6ab6cf4e
- Audible differences:
- A cymbal crash can be heard at the very beginning of D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3, which is absent from D_DDTBLU.
- The intro passage is an extra measure long in D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3.
- The instrument on the descending tones that repeat every two bars throughout the song is changed for the sixth "repeat" of the song in D_DDTBLU (to a kalimba), and is not for D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3 (where it remains the instrument from the fifth repeat - FX 2 (soundtrack)).
- The final note in the song's lead melody is the correct length in D_DDTBLU, while in D_DDTBL2 and D_DDTBL3 it appears to be of infinite length (in General MIDI this is defined as 546 bars and 15 tics). In-game it will either play for the length of the whole final measure, or hang indefinitely; in the latter cases it will either prevent the song from looping, or the note will persist across all further loops of the song.
- It can perhaps be surmised that D_DDTBLU is the "correct" version of the track.
- "Waiting for Romero to Play" was used instead of "Dark Halls" for E1M3 in an unreleased beta, as seen during a Visit to id Software.
- In the version of Doom II included in Doom 3: BFG Edition, D_EVIL and D_ULTIMA are copies of D_DOOM. The "Doom" song is therefore used in both secret levels and during the cast sequence.
|Doom | Doom II: Hell on Earth | TNT: Evilution | The Plutonia Experiment | PSX Doom | Saturn Doom | Doom 64 | Doom (2016) | Unused | Inspirations|
|Heretic | Hexen: Beyond Heretic | Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel|
|Strife: Quest for the Sigil | Chex Quest|
|Doom Music | Doom (Original Game Soundtrack)|
|The Dark Side of Phobos | Delta-Q-Delta | Steve Rot's Doom Tribute | Plutonia MIDI Pack | Heretic Sinphony|
|Bobby Prince | Aubrey Hodges | Kevin Schilder | Morey Goldstein | Mick Gordon|