Doom Raider: Crypt of the Vile
|Doom Raider: Crypt of the Vile|
|This mod was one of the ten 2003 mods to feature in the Top 100 WADs of All Time on Doomworld!|
|1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998|
1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003
|This article about a map is a stub. Please help the Doom Wiki by adding to it.|
Doom Raider: Crypt of the Vile is a single-level mod by Russell Pearson. As part of their 10 Years of Doom feature, Doomworld named it one of the ten best mods of 2003. Mike Watson (Cyb), in his review, called it an excellent early example of ZDoom's engine enhancements.
The map has a fantasy adventure theme with intensive puzzle platforming, inspired by films such as the Indiana Jones series. It includes new weapons and a large number of replacement textures and graphics, which are credited to others: Sock, Stuart Godbolt, and Raven Software. In fact, Pearson states (slightly tongue in cheek) that he is not a Tomb Raider fan, but was spurred to create the level when he saw Sock's textures.
In 2020, Pearson released a reimagining of the level, titled Doom Raider 2020, for GZDoom.
- 1 Custom content
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- At the start, climb the tomb from the backside, then head to the north side and use the wall with hieroglyphs. This is a secret passage leading inside the tomb. (sector 1010)
- In the southwest room of the main tomb, there is a thin set of steps starting at the north wall. Jump up these steps all the way to the top to get to an amulet of protection. (sector 707)
- Use the yellow moon switch at the east end of the poison area, then head west and north to a lowering wall to get uzi clips and twin uzis. (sector 1133)
- Head all the way through the hall west of the poison area, then use the switch at the end. Head north to an area with a pain elemental and use the skull switch, then venture west and north to a lowering wall that has a soul sphere. (sector 1113)
- Come back to the main room. When you arrive, head to the northwest area and climb the steps up to health bonuses, shotgun shells, and spikes. (sector 1122)
- Jump south from Secret #5 to get an amulet of protection. (sector 1146)
This map is much harder to complete in recent versions of GZDoom without cheats because the poison clouds (which work basically the same as the standard damage floors but with additional damage later on) are treated as having infinite height (even if infinite monsters are turned off), thus making it nearly impossible to avoid taking damage.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||09:26||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2003-12-21||dr1-vile.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on December 6, 2021.
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
Inspiration and development
Doom Raider's idgames upload was marked as the "lite version", citing omitted mp3s due to file size concerns. A "full version" was released two days later with the mp3s present, plus a couple of gameplay tweaks. ZDoom version 2.0.47i or later is required.