|Codebase||Linux Doom 1.10|
|Developer(s)||Evgeny Yakovlev (Warfish), Cacodemon345|
|Initial release||1.0 (2019-12-27, 3 months ago)|
|Latest release||1.3 (2020-02-29, 41 days ago)|
|Target Platform||Windows, Linux|
|License||GNU General Public License v2+|
Doom UEFI is a source port originally made by Evgeny Yakovlev (Warfish) and currently maintained by Cacodemon345. It is based on the Linux Doom 1.10 codebase and it targets the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface or UEFI. This is a replacement standard for the classic BIOS firmware that is run every time the computer is started. Doom UEFI is executed in this firmware through a rudimentary shell component designed to execute UEFI applications, called SHELL.
Doom UEFI was started on September 30, 2013, originally as a means to study the rendering engine of Doom, with its code uploaded to Github. Yakovlev provided development updates through his worklog whenever significant updates were made. On October 12, 2013, the Alpha milestone was reached and Doom UEFI was playable without a mouse in QEMU. However, the code changes remained unpublished until October 2, 2014 when Yakovlev published his last code changes to Github. A release build was however never made.
Cacodemon345 took over maintenance of the port after discovering it on December 27, 2019 and running into build issues. The code was cleaned up and Cacodemon345 then released his own fork of Doom UEFI. To avoid possible name confusion, it was called UEFI-Doom but it should be considered the defacto continuation of the original code.
This version has seen significant improvements to the playability of the port:
- Doom UEFI now runs on actual hardware as opposed to QEMU
- Sound support was added in an experimental state
- Various timing issues are fixed
- Input issues are resolved. The executable should now close properly
It is also possible to play Doom UEFI directly from the bootloader as mentioned by Cacodemon345 in this Doomworld forums dated February 24, 2020.
- (In Russian) Warfish's development log of Doom UEFI, hosted by Github and log (archived 🏛)
- Original Doom UEFI source code, hosted by Github
- Cacodemon345's defacto continuation of Doom UEFI, hosted by GitHub
- Latest Doom UEFI source code and binary, hosted by GitHub
|Source code genealogy|
|Based on||Name||Base for|
|Linux Doom 1.10||Doom UEFI||None|