General criteria for gadgets
In order to be deployed on the Doom Wiki, gadgets should generally pass the following conditions:
- Gadgets must work if just included with no further configuration. They can be configurable, but must work without explicit configuration.
- Gadgets must be compatible with all major browsers, i.e. they must not terminate with errors.
- Gadgets should be functional in most major browsers (cross-browser compatibility). Exceptions must be clearly stated.
- Duplication of gadgets should only be made if it's reasonable.
- Collections of scripts should be applied as own entities. (No collection of scripts dumped as a gadget, unless the collection is specially defined as an own entity.)
- Gadgets requiring permissions must be marked and must fail gracefully if the permissions aren't present.
- Gadgets only working in some skins must be marked as such.
Proposals: Discuss the addition of scripts as gadgets.
- Add the header below and the script code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.js
- Optionally, add the header below and CSS code to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname.css
- Add a script description to MediaWiki:Gadget-scriptname. Please link to the script home and/or help page and state browser requirements if needed.
- Add to MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition under the appropriate heading
- Update the table of installed gadgets below
The gadget should now appear on Special:Gadgets.
Comments or warnings can be added to the gadget description templates in two ways:
- noinclude tag (visible on description page with links):
<noinclude> comment </noinclude>
- HTML comments (visible in source text only):
<!-- comment -->
Comments added in this way will be automatically discarded during the page creation process.
The following header should be added to the gadget files, with modifications as necessary:
/* _____________________________________________________________________________ * | | * | === WARNING: GLOBAL GADGET FILE === | * | Changes to this page affect many users. | * | Please discuss changes on the talk page before editing. | * |_____________________________________________________________________________| * * Imported from [[SCRIPT_SOURCE]] as of DATE * SHORT_DESCRIPTION, see [[SCRIPT_HOME_PAGE]] */
A gadget with
default keyword is enabled for all visitors and only registered users can disable it.
A gadget with
[default|rights=minoredit] description would be automatically enabled only for registered users.
Currently installed gadgets
Homepage, Source, Maintainer
| Gadget: |
Version, Description, Script, CSS
|MonacoRecentChanges||Adds a widget displaying the top seven most recent changes to the Monaco sidebar for mainspace articles and talk pages. Requires Monaco skin.||James Haley||MediaWiki:Gadget-MonacoRecentChanges.js|
|ReferenceTooltips||Roll over any inline citation to see reference information, instead of having to jump away from the article text.||MediaWiki:Gadget-ReferenceTooltips.js; MediaWiki:Gadget-ReferenceTooltips.css|
|UploadToolbar||Adds a wikitext editor toolbar to the form on Special:Upload, allowing more efficient editing of image description text.||James Haley||MediaWiki:Gadget-UploadToolbar.js|
- Special:Gadgets, lists the installed gadgets similar to the preferences but has edit links
- MediaWiki talk:Gadgets-definition, discussing technical details of making and maintaining gadgets
- Extension:Gadgets, the Mediawiki gadget extension page
|Content guidelines:||Criteria for people articles • Criteria for website articles • Gadgets • Source material • Spam|
|Community:||About • Discussion • Featured articles • Information removal requests • RFCs • Software • User groups • WikiNode|