Doom Wiki talk:FAQ
"edit warring with an admin"
This bit caught my attention because of the implication (no doubt unintended) that admins are more important than others. Historically though, we don't sanction people solely for edit warring — I know that I never have. People get blocked for
- edit warring to add warez;
- edit warring to insert unreferenced speculation, and refusing to engage in any discussion; or
- edit warring on an article about one's own project, then berating anyone who mentions NPOV.
I'm not sure how to explain all this concisely without muddying the rest of the paragraph (and maybe other admins disagree anyway). Sadly we probably don't have enough admins for a guideline like "do not block if you've been involved in the content revisions", since that always looks like the admin throwing their weight around. :P Ryan W (talk) 17:22, 5 July 2014 (UTC)
- I just felt it to be a courtesy warning that I in particular am very cranky about it. If you feel it's inappropriate in tone, I won't object if you remove or soften that part of the language :P --Quasar (talk) 20:22, 5 July 2014 (UTC)
"The other wiki"
Now that we're changing licenses, should there be a courtesy notice here (and possibly in the policies as well) that we will no longer be license-compatible with the "other wiki" and that only things you yourself have written can be copied from one to the other? --Quasar (talk) 14:25, 18 June 2015 (CDT)
- Not a bad idea; it's tricky enough to make people aware of incompatibilities with other community wikis. Changing the policy page might be giving you-know-who too much credit, assuming the other project pages on your list already have the details. Ryan W (talk) 17:05, 18 June 2015 (CDT)
"Why is the Doom 3 material incomplete?"
This needs broadening. Back then there was some editorial focus on Doom 3, but IME the questions have become more comprehensive — where are the Unholy Realms walkthroughs? why doesn't Phml have an article? what's our take on the latest screenshot hoax?
The FAQ is supposed to be somewhat official, so I'll change this only if there's support. (As we know, what I hear and what other people hear can be different. :> Proposed:
- Why are you missing so much information about (topic)?
- Every contributor here is an unpaid volunteer, and the Doom community seems to produce an endless stream of output worth documenting. We work on articles when we can find the time. On the other hand, that "we" includes you. If you see content missing, and the subject is familiar or you want to do the research, feel free to add it!
- Unlike Wikipedia, you can even start a new page without prior approval. Please read the notability guidelines first, however, and make sure the page title has correct spelling and capitalization.