E1M2: Random Tomb Map (Heretic Treasure Chest)
|Heretic Treasure Chest maps
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Head up the steps in front of you and press the switch on your left to open the bars, then push past some fire gargoyles to a door guarded by two golem ghosts. Pass through to a room with a sarcophagus and open the curved door in front of you, which leads to a large hall; drop to the floor below and head north through another door, then continue heading north until you walk past a gray panel and confront two undead warrior ghosts. A crusher trap will activate in front of you; time your run past it then press the switch on your right to a lower a lift. Ride the lift up then pass under the broken bars to get back outside.
Head west past some nitrogolems and gray columns - when the path turns to the south, look that way to see a door being guarded by a number of fire gargoyles. Head through the door and continue south until you reach a broken dark-gray wall; press on the tallest part of the wall to lower it (watching out for gargoyles behind you) then head south-west to some square steps which you should climb to the top. You will see a dark-gray building in front of you - go round to its north side and step on the raised green and red tile, which will open a nearby wall. Go through this wall to drop into a chamber containing the blue key and a dragon claw.
Open the wall to get back outside then head south-east into a dark cavern, then head south to a door requiring the blue key. Behind this door is a water pool containing the yellow key which is surrounded by bars; press either of the switches in the north-east or north-west corners of the room to lower a wall in the opposite corner (and release some undead warriors), then go through that wall to find a teleporter which will put you inside the pool. Use the orange platforms to reach the key, which will lower the bars, then head through the gold door in the west wall and press the switch in front of you - this will lower a lift by the south wall in the previous room, so quickly go back to that lift and ride it up to the final chamber. You will see the exit teleporter on the other side of a pit; look east to see a switch behind some bars and shoot it, which will raise a bridge to the exit teleporter and release two undead warrior ghosts.
Other points of interest
As soon as you enter the first large chamber, turn right to collect an ethereal crossbow and ammo.
- In the first big room, from the ledge you are on, jump down to the south-west corner to reach a crystal vial. (sector 114)
- The passage behind secret #1 leads to a lift; at the top you can find a silver shield. (sector 333)
- When you reach the hallway with the crusher, there is a secret passage to the east. Quickly head there and you will eventually find claw orbs, a map scroll, a switch, ethereal arrows and a Bag of Holding. A dragon claw is inside the northern column, which can be lowered from the south side. (sector 259)
- This secret is the coffin inside secret #3, which is in between the ethereal arrows. It looks unreachable, but by straferunning from the small tile onto the rectangular block that held the claw orbs, then straferunning at an angle to where the arrows were, it is actually possible to trigger this secret. (sector 268)
- When you reach the outdoor area at the north end of the map, head under the columns, going west, but head along to the south to a dark passage leading to two wand crystals and a crystal vial. (sector 282)
- Flipping the switch behind the map scroll in Secret #3 releases the bars to the teleporter seen in secret #5. Here, grab the crystal vial and open the two columns to the sides, finding ethereal arrows and a Tome of Power. (sector 630)
- Near the ethereal crossbow at the start is a caged-off area. To reach it, you need to head to the far north-west part of the map until you reach a room with a crystal vial and a red pad on the floor. The red pad opens a passage to your right, which has a teleporter taking you to the caged-off area. You can find two packs of ethereal arrows here, guarded by an undead warrior and some fire gargoyles. (sector 742)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 41)
- facing north. (thing 127)
- facing north. (thing 231)
- facing south-west. (thing 232)
Inspiration and development
Kaiser Wilhelm originally had trouble finishing off the map's ending puzzle, and the map's puzzle was completed later on by another member of the Heretic Treasure Chest team.
- This map is referred to in the text file for bfbalon.wad, which was also created by Kaiser Wilhelm and released in 2012. The intended title for the map was "Gold".