E1M2 (Return to Phobos)
|Return to Phobos maps|
This level occupies the map slot E1M2. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:E1M2.
E1M2 is the second map of Return to Phobos. It was designed by Michael Kelsey.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 External links
Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- North of the start is a Y-shaped room with a lift in the top middle. Go down this lift and turn right. Going up the stairs, there are 3 secret doors on the left, the first of which leads to an invulnerability and a box of rockets (multiplayer only). (sector 49)
- The second of the three secret doors leads to a box of rockets and an invulnerability (multiplayer only). This room has a lift on the back wall leading to a passage to the red key, and also allowing access to the large rectangular room in the north surrounded by a corridor. (sector 50)
- The third of the three secret doors leads to a rocket launcher and an invulnerability (multiplayer only). (sector 51)
- Go past #1 to #3 and carry on up the stairs and jump across the gap to reach the blue key (in medium and hard skills). Now go east from the Y-shaped room near the start, through two doors, then take the right fork, go through a secret door ahead, and continue until you jump down into a room with four octagonal chambers (the western and eastern ones are crushers). Entering this area will open up a room containing a megaarmor on a platform which counts as a secret, a box of bullets and (on multiplayer only) a box of shotgun shells. There is a switch behind the megaarmor – shooting it opens up a room opposite with a yellow key and two medikits. There is also a switch here – pressing it lowers the secret. (sector 99)
- Go down the lift at the centre of the Y-shaped room near the start and turn left. At the end is a secret lift taking you to a room with a cell pack (two in multiplayer) and a BFG9000 (easy and medium skills, multiplayer only). The switch in this room opens up a window to the red key/exit area. (sector 224)
- Press the western switch at the centre of the crusher area. This lowers a lift to the south taking you to an outdoor area. In the north-west is a switch which reveals a switch by the blue key (in medium and hard skills). Press this switch and go through the nearby yellow door, then the red door, and press the switch to your left. Go back through the last two doors, and turn right twice then left. Walking through the passage (it will open up for you) takes you to a lift dropping you down to a room with a partial invisibility, two cell packs, and two stimpacks. The switch in this room re-opens the door. (sector 212)
- Press the southern switch at the centre of the crusher area, then go up the southern lift as before. Press the switch ahead of you, which opens up the door at the eastern end of the crusher area (the lift to it is lowered by the eastern switch at the centre of the crusher area). Press the switch at the top of this lift, then go north of the crusher area and continue up the steps. Jump across the first gap, press the switch, and jump over the second gap. Drop down the lowered lift, press the switch on its eastern side (**), then go west before it rises. Press the switch at the end of the passage, and jump down off the north side to a raising platform, then jump into a room (#7) with a supercharge. (sector 156)
- The switch in #7 lowers the platform, from where you can jump onto another platform to the east which opens up a room to the north (#8) with a partial invisibility and a rocket (multiplayer only). (sector 161)
- From #8, take the teleporter, jump over both gaps again, and go through three doors. The second of these, which is opened by **, counts as a secret. The path leads to the aforementioned rectangular room. (sector 275)
- Sector #232 will not go up when you hit the switch #1248 - that is because the switch uses a type that is bugged after the release of Doom v1.2. Basically, before v1.2, the switch would look up data from other sectors, and due to most of the sectors it can look up to having the height of 0, the sector itself would raise to 0. However, after v1.2, the action is severely bugged. This bug can be bypassed by loading the map in a map editor and changing the line action to S1 Floor Raise by 512, which will also raise the floor to exactly 0 height.
- In the room with the crushers, if you go up the lift to the east without having opened the door at the top, you can become stuck if the crusher (which stops on stepping onto the lift) is too low.
Areas / screenshots
The two barons of Hell
Routes and tricks
The records for the map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|NM speed||0:29||Never Again||2003-05-06||return01_na2.zip|
|UV max||10:24||Never Again||2002-05-23||return01_na.zip|
|UV -fast||8:08||Never Again||2009-12-14||ret12naf.zip|