E1M3: Call Apogee Say Aardwolf (Absolutely Killed)
|Absolutely Killed maps|
E1M3: Call Apogee Say Aardwolf is the third map of Absolutely Killed. It was designed by scwiba. The map uses the gimmick of most of the game play being optional, accessible only by secrets. The name of the map is a reference to hard-to-find secret in Wolfenstein 3D, part of an abandoned contest that became part of Wolf/Doom lore.
The map contains a secret exit leading to E1M9: 'O' of Oscillation.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
From the start point, walk directly ahead into the exit.
Other points of interest
In the northeastern area of the map (accessible by secret #3), in the first large room, is a lion-head switch which lowers two platforms. The eastern platform leads to more map; the western platform holds a supercharge.
- In the starting room, the western wall is a different color. Open it to reveal a clip (sector 7).
- The inside edge of the northern frame of the door from secret #1 conceals a switch. Shoot it to open a walkway around the start room (sector 11).
- In the walkway around the start room (that opens up after secret #2), go to the western section of the northern wall. A tiny sliver of the wall has some green slime on it (near map coordinates (255, 540)). Press the sliver to open a passage (sector 123) to the northeast part of the map.
- As you enter the northwestern area (from secret #3), at the north end of the large room is a lion-head switch. Press it to lower two platforms at the midpoint of the room. Run onto the eastern platform, and press the wall to open a hidden door to sector 67. The opening is only accessible when the platform is lowered.
- From secret #4, proceed to the right (south) and walk into the small alcove at the corner of the passageway. Turn right (face west) and press the wall to lower a hidden lift. Take the lift up and quickly step out onto the ledge -- the lift will immediately lower again if you stay on it. From this ledge, you should see a red switch across the room (above the platform with the supercharge). Shoot the switch, then jump down and find a new opening (sector 145) at the northeast of the room.
- Follow the corridor from secret #5 around to the northern extreme. A square corner is lit with a flickering light (sector 21). Step into this square, and a section of wall will lower. Now proceed back around and through secret #4 to the raised passage of secret #7. The midpoint of the passage will now be open to the north; you can step across. To the right (east) is the computer area map (sector 159).
- From secret #4, proceed to the left (northeast), along the passage, and around the corner to a seeming dead-end. Press the southern wall to lower a hidden lift, and ride it up to another passage (sector 148), which overlooks the passageway you were just in.
- This secret requires a multi-step process to unlock:
- From secret #4, proceed to the right (south), then around the corner into a corridor lined with boxes and technical columns. One pair of boxes has no column between. Press the wall there to open a hidden door.
- Enter the passageway and take the first left to reach a hidden room. Proceed around to the right, then take the left at the midpoint. Keep left and follow around to a switch. Press this switch to open a door elsewhere.
- Backtrack to the entrance to secret #4, then go northeast and take the lift to secret #7. Note that the southern wall of the passageway has a brown border around the bottom edge, except for one spot. Press the wall at that spot to lower a hidden door. Across the corridor another door will lower, revealing a switch. Shoot the switch.
- Turn around and cross to where the area map in secret #6 was. Step 3 of this secret raised a walkway, and step 2 opened the door on the other side. Cross through to sector 15.
- In the walkway around the start room (that opens up after secret #2), go to the west side, and jump down into the rectangular nukage pit. Run to the opening in the southern wall at the west end (to your left). Take the stairs up to the landing (sector 119). There are two stimpacks to the side; the switch ahead lowers the walls to the eastern side of the central walkway.
- In the southeast maze (accessible after secret #9), go to the largest, central room (sector 27). Observe that one of the lighted squares flickers, next to the eastern wall. Now walk out the southern exit, and immediately turn right. Proceed ahead (west). At the first junction, take the slight right; at the second, turn sharply left (south), then almost immediately turn right (west) again. This will bring you to another lighted room, with another flickering light. Walking through this light, will open the wall back in the central room. You will need to run back the way you came to get into sector 152 before the wall closes.
- After getting into secret #10, proceed around the narrow walkway to the north, and then east. At the end is a nook with a switch. Press the switch, then retrace your steps back out to the maze (the wall can be opened from this side by using it). In the northern part of the walkway around the start room, an alcove (sector 146) with a rocket launcher will have opened.
- In the southeast maze, in the southeastern-most corridor (just north of the shotgun room), press on the northern wall. It will open to reveal an imp and a lift. Take the lift down to sector 33.
- In the southeast maze, in the southwestern-most corridor, there is a single armor bonus. Press the southern wall here to access a chamber (sector 182) with a box of rockets and several energy cells.
- In the western section of the map is a walled terrace looking outside to an inaccessible lava pool and ridge. At the extreme north edge of the ridge is an evil eye (green framework, thing type #41). Shoot at the eye to open a teleport pad at the north end of the terrace. This teleporter takes you to the colored teleporter maze (sector 171) at the northwest of the map.
- To get the BFG and this secret, you must navigate a colored teleporter maze. The maze is reached via secret #14. The maze consists of a grid of platforms in a lava pool. Every platform has a colored pool in the center, and there are colored torches at some of the edges. Walking between torches will teleport you to the next platform with a pool matching the torches. Any edge without torches will teleport you to a "dead-end" platform that leads only to lava. From the teleport landing, continue around and to the right to a small raised cliff. Jump from the cliff to the blue platform. Then walk south/green, east/blue, north/blue, south/green, and south to the ledge with the BFG (sector 172). To return, go north back onto the green platform, north again through the green torches, and then north to the original cliff. Take the teleporter back.
- In the pitch-black part of the room with the secret exit switch, an alcove (sector 61) is hidden in the southern wall. Pick up a plasma gun there.
From secret #8, continue from the walkway into the room (previously visited in step 2 of that secret). You will be on a raised walkway/maze. Cross over the gaps to reach the button at this level. Press the button to lower a lift behind you, at the south-east side of the room. Jump down onto the lift, then ride it up the highest level of the room. From here you can obtain the blue key. Doing so will cause monsters (mainly demons and former humans) to teleport in throughout the northeastern area of the map.
Secret #12 holds the red key in the eastern nook. Be prepared for the lights to go out, and for cacodemons and spectres to teleport in. To get back out, go to the west side of the room, and note the four metal columns. Behind the northeast column is a switch that lowers the lift.
Once you have the red and blue keys, return to the rectangular nukage pit you met in secret #9. The keys open short stairways to either side of the pit, each with a switch within. The red key switch raises a bridge through the nukage. The blue key opens the door at the far side. They can be activated in either order. Be prepared to deal with the baron on the other side of the door. Through the door is the switch for the secret exit.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on February 21, 2022.
Inspiration and development
- Joe Siegler (17 August 2016). "Call Apogee and Say Aardwolf." A Cup of Joe. Retrieved 31 May 2021.
- Wjhollyart; ToMi-18 (7 May 2021). "Aardwolf sign." Wolfenstein 3D Wiki. Retrieved 31 May 2021.