E1M3: Vigilant Outpost (Heretic Treasure Chest)
|Heretic Treasure Chest maps
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
As the level starts you will see two doorways ahead of you; take the left-hand doorway then cross a bridge and head east through a short tunnel. You will see a large building on your right, on the other side of a sludge river - cross the wooden bridge in front of you then turn right to enter the building, which contains golems, nitrogolems and fire gargoyles and (on easy and medium skill levels) an ethereal crossbow. Head up the staircase by the south wall then follow the path round until you reach a switch next to some ethereal arrows. Press the switch then drop to ground level and run to the north-east side of the building, where a lift has lowered that you can ride up to the yellow key.
Leave the building by its west entrance then head north across another bridge and look left to see a door requiring the yellow key. Go through this door then pass through either of the doorways on your left, cross a small stream and enter a small yellow brick building to find a switch. Press the switch then enter the stream, which will carry you through a set of now-open bars to the green key before depositing you by the stone bridge near the start. Retrace your steps to the yellow key door then head due east through a wooden building (which contains an ethereal crossbow on hard skill levels) and pass through a door leading to a small dock. Continue east through the sludge until you reach a green key door which is guarded by nitrogolems.
Take the dragon claw behind the green key door and use it to kill the approaching golems and gargoyles, then head forward into a hall with several gray tombs. Head east between the tombs towards a Tome of Power - as you step on the brightly-lit area in the middle of the hall, the wall ahead will lower to reveal one or three disciples of D'Sparil guarding an exit teleporter. The teleporter is a trap; when you step on it a number of monsters will emerge from the tombs behind you, but the real exit teleporter will be revealed in the east wall.
Other points of interest
As the level starts, go through the south doorway and follow the steps down to a cavern containing a Chaos Device.
As soon as you get to the outdoor area with the sludge, head south and west through the sludge to some pods. There is a doorway here; enter it and go down the steps to find a Tome of Power.
From the dock near the green key door, look north to find a shadowsphere next to a fence.
- Drop down at the start and head through the cave to the south. At the bend, open the north-east wall to find an ethereal crossbow, a wand crystal and a claw orb. (sector 431)
- Open the door to the northern-most storage room and look right to see a room with barrels behind a fence. You can lower the left-most part of this fence. Shoot at the center of the east wall here to open up an alcove with a dragon claw inside. (sector 351)
- In the area with the switch that opens the bars to the green key, cross the river and go behind the barrels, opening the wall in the corner here to find Gauntlets of the Necromancer. (sector 462)
- In the passage leading to the exit, find the wall that does not have a fire brazier in front of it and open it for a Bag of Holding. (sector 428)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 415)
- facing west. (thing 416)
- facing west. (thing 417)
- facing east. (thing 418)