E1M5: Charon's Lab (Fava Beans)
|Fava Beans maps|
E1M5: Charon's Lab is the fifth map of Fava Beans. It was designed by Ben Gates.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are three keys in the level. The blue key is needed to get to the exit room; the red one is needed to get to the rooms where the blue key can be found; and the yellow key is optional in the level.
You start in a room with four pillars facing towards a door from where you actually came in and a shotgun. Take the shotgun. You will wake the former human and a shotgun guy in this room. Imps have already seen you. Eliminate them all. After that, head down the eastern corridor. In the brown room, turn left and open the door ahead. In the next room, you can collect a chaingun. Cleanup this room and take the stairs and press the switch. This will reveal a closet will red key and lamps with corresponding color (simple cosmetic walls). Take the key. Return to the very beginning.
Now, take the red door west. Go down the corridor, eliminating monsters, until you meet an UAC door. Open it and enter another door (green) to the next room. Right in this room is the blue keycard. It resides on the panel west of this room. Take it. Take some items you want.
Now when you have taken all necessary keycards, return to the beginning and take the door to the north. Go down the corridor and open the blue door at the end. In the next room, you can see a large tall pit in the middle. Do not fall down; there is no escape. The exit is right in the center above of the tall pit and is inaccessible. You need to press the switch to raise the bridge.
Go to the other side of the room and descend on the stairs down. In the room below, turn left and proceed further to a door leading to a dark room. There, turn left and enter a narrow alcove where there is a lift. Take it and go forth until you meet the switch on your right. Press it. Now, backtrack to the exit room mentioned above. Now, the bridge is made but the inescapable pit is still present. Be patient. Walk around on the bridge and open the exit door behind which is the exit button (and an imp on UV and Nightmare!).
Other points of interest
- Along the hallway visible from Secret #3, there is a brown patch of wall that sticks out over the rest. This wall hides a computer area map. (sector 73)
- Go past the computer room which is past the red door, and just before the next door you see, open the wall that has an arrow on it. You will discover a passage that leads to the yellow key. (sector 93)
- Open the brown wall at the north end of the blue key room to discover a passage. This passage leads to a nukage room with some supplies, as well as a switch which opens a door in the southeast corner of the map, allowing you to reach the soul sphere there. (sector 129)
- Inside the computer room past the red door, shoot the blue wall on the right side to find a backpack. (sector 131)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 4)
- facing west. (thing 14)
- facing south-east. (thing 15)
- facing east. (thing 16)
- facing south-east. (thing 17)
- facing north-west. (thing 18)