E1M8: Citta Dei Morti Viventi (Heretic Treasure Chest)
|Heretic Treasure Chest maps|
E1M8: Citta Dei Morti Viventi is the eighth and final map of episode 1 of Heretic Treasure Chest. It was designed by Thomas van der Velden and uses the music track "John" from Heretic, created by Kevin Schilder.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Head across the bridge in front of you and follow the passage beyond it to a courtyard, then head east to an Ethereal Crossbow and continue in that direction until you cross a sludge pool and walk through a short tunnel with an open gate. Turn left and head towards a tower with one or two fire gargoyles, then enter a doorway on your left that leads to a large room with undead warriors. Step over the bar to reach two crystal vials and Quartz Flasks then head west into a storeroom before proceeding north-east to get outside again. Head west and south to a stack of crates which you can climb to reach the upper floor of the building, then walk to the window in front of you to find the yellow key.
Drop through the window to the ground below then head north to a wide door requiring the yellow key. In the next room is a Dragon Claw guarded by disciples of D'Sparil - head north up the steps to a blue switch and press it, which will open alcoves containing undead warrior ghosts to your left and right, then head through the left-hand alcove to get back outside. Head due south past two disciples to a dark passage and step on the lift that lowers ahead of you to reach a higher ledge, then head north-west into a room with two or three disciples who are guarding a window containing the green key.
To save time, do not drop out of the window; instead, return to the ledge and head south to drop into the courtyard, then head south and east along a path to find two undead warriors guarding a gray door that requires the green key. Take the Silver Shield behind the door then head east towards a sludge river. As you step on it, the green column in front of you will open to reveal four iron liches that will teleport to other areas of the level - you must hunt all of them down, watching out for many undead warriors and disciples that have teleported into the city. One lich will teleport to the path leading to the green key door, one will teleport to the hall past the yellow key door, and the last two will teleport to the easternmost area.
Once all four liches are destroyed, return to where you first encountered them to find that the exit doors in the room have opened. Step through and walk past three fire gargoyles into a dark passage, which leads into a tunnel full of teleport glitter - the level will automatically end when you reach the end of this tunnel.
Other points of interest
After reaching the tavern area, climb the wooden stairs in this room to find three bedrooms containing an Ethereal Crossbow, a Tome of Power and ammo.
After reaching the area with the iron liches, three ammo caches will be revealed.
- The first cache is in a covered area in the easternmost area of the level and contains two Energy Orbs, a Quiver of Ethereal Arrows and a Quartz Flask.
- The second cache can be found on the ledge before the green key room and contains Greater Runes, a Silver Shield, a Quartz Flask and a Morph Ovum.
- The third cache can be found by entering the building in the southwest corner of the city and climbing two flights of stairs - at the top, run through the north window to land on a metal step that you can use to climb to the cache. It contains Greater Runes, a Hellstaff, a Morph Ovum and a Tome of Power.
- Enter the easternmost building and head to the northwest room. Near the barrels, there is a block in the southeast corner with a switch on the south side. Flipping it lowers a crate containing Gauntlets of the Necromancer. (sector 219)
- Jump from the green key window to the ledge to the west, then open the wall at the south side. Follow this secret passage to find a Tome of Power and a Mystic Urn. (sector 262)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 436)
- facing west. (thing 437)
- facing south. (thing 438)
- facing north. (thing 439)
Inspiration and development
- "Citta Dei Morti Viventi" is Italian for City of the living dead.