E1M9: Excavation Site (Doom the Way id Did)
|Doom the Way id Did maps|
|The Shores of Hell|
E1M9: Excavation Site is the secret map of Knee-Deep in the Dead in Doom the Way id Did, which can be accessed through E1M3: Fuel Synthesis. It was designed by Stuart Rynn (stewboy) in the style of John Romero.
Completing this level takes the player to E1M4: Treatment Plant.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
The starting area has you in a rough bind as a lot of monsters are already present in the next room. Following that are a number of monsters through the windows. Head south, and either climb the nearby stairs to the balcony or take the lift which conveniently lowers for you. Go southwest into a large computer room. There is a small alcove here with a switch. This opens up several walls around you. Go west and follow the next path. Grab the radiation suit and fall into the nukage, then climb the stairs to get the blue keycard. Be mindful of the shotgun guy that appears directly in front. Behind you, a bridge should raise, go across and use the blue door directly in front. Go through the nukage here, and you will find two doors. Go through the right door as the other one requires the red key. You will be back in the main room. The next blue key door is to the north, closest to where you first entered this place. Just follow the walkway up to the red keycard. If you still have your radiation suit on, you can explore the nukage, finding a small room with another radiation suit and an armor. Otherwise, go back to the red door you could not go through earlier. It is a matter of following another path all the way to the yellow key. Along the way, you can pick up a chaingun across the nukage on the west side, and a rocket launcher from a room to the far north. When you use the stairs on the eastern bend of the area, a column lowers revealing zombies and the yellow keycard. Use the card on the nearby door and head back. When you reach the room with nukage and a chaingun across, there may be a few imps attacking from that direction. In this room should also be another passage with a medikit and a yellow door. Open this yellow door, then go across and open the other yellow door, going down this final path to the exit.
Other points of interest
- When you press the switch inside of the square computer room to the south, you will open up several walls, as well as a passageway leading to the west. Look towards this passageway and press on the plain-looking gray wall to reveal a box of bullets and a passage. (sector 126)
- Take the passage in Secret #1 into a room with zombies and some minor pickups. Look towards the northwest and you will notice one of the walls is browner than the rest. Open this wall to wind up in a small room with imps and a window overlooking the passage. (sector 119) If you flip the switch here, you will lower the window and the pillar behind it, revealing a soul sphere.
- Open the red door and just before the small step, open the brown wall to the left to reveal a passageway (sector 76)
- From the passageway in Secret #3, head across the nukage to the strip of solid ground that has an ammo clip and some shotgun shells. If you look opposite of the light (facing east) you will notice the green wall is plain-looking. You can open this wall and get a box of ammo, a box of shells, a medikit, and an armor bonus. (sector 24)
- In the big nukage room behind the red door, you can find a small passage to the southeast with a yellow door leading back to the beginning room. A wall on the left side of this passage is misaligned with the rest of the passage. Open this wall to find a couple of zombiemen, a medikit, and some shotgun shells. (sector 233)
- On the path leading to the exit, you may notice a wall that is brown instead of green in color. Open this wall for a medikit, an armor bonus, a box of ammo, and some shotgun shells. (sector 192)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for this map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV speed||01:16||Didier Bertrand||2011-12-23||i1d9-116.zip||1|
|NM speed||03:36||Andy Stewart (eschdoom)||2012-11-12||i1dxnm.zip|
Last updated on June 19, 2013.
Last updated on June 19, 2013.
1. ^ Plays back with dtwid_old.wad.