E2M1: As for the Cowardly (No Sleep for the Dead)
|No Sleep for the Dead maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You start this level with imps to the west and north-east, as well as shotgun guys overhead to the east and a baron of Hell to the south-west, so move quickly. Turn left and take the shotgun, then go to the south-east corner and climb the stairs guarded by shotgun guys. At the top, head forward and down some steps which are blocked by imps then turn right to see a small chamber with the blue skull key, which is guarded by a baron on all skill levels plus two spectres on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) or higher. One or more demons will also have teleported in from the south.
Take the blue key then backtrack to the starting area go through the north door with blue skull markings. Go straight forward through a metal doorway and take the shotgun on your left; doing so will lower a pillar holding the yellow skull key visible through the window. Go back through the metal doorway and open another blue door on your right, then kill the baron waiting behind it before heading down the steps to collect the yellow key.
Stepping on the yellow key plinth causes various monsters to teleport in to the level, including shotgun guys, imps, demons, cacodemons and (on HMP or higher) two barons. Go back up the curved steps and through the blue door, then turn left to go through the metal doorway again. Turn right and then left to enter a hallway with a skull floor, where you can see the exit door in front of you. Open it and kill the baron waiting behind the door, then press the lion switch it was guarding to finish the level.
Other points of interest
Also from the start of the level, go to the south-east corner and climb the stairs. You will see an opening in the wall straight ahead - go through it to find a rocket launcher.
After getting the blue key, go through the door due north of the start point then turn right to see a lift which will lower when approached. Kill one or two imps waiting on the lift, then ride it up to find a backpack and armor bonuses.
- Go to the north-west corner of the starting room to step on a hidden lift, which will take you down to a small room with ammo and a medikit. (sector 80)
- Enter the blue key alcove, then exit and go south up the steps. A new opening to the east leads to a secret area with a plasma gun. (sector 211)
- At the bottom of the curved staircase at the north-east end of the map, press on the marble lion face to reveal a box of shotgun shells. (sector 203)
- West of the exit door, press on the large marble wall depicting an arch-vile to find an energy cell pack. (sector 222)
- Open the blue door in front of you at the start and go straight ahead, then press on the lit lion face on your right. Go east then south to the next door; there should be another opening next to the door. Enter the opening and open the small door here to find a megaarmor. (sector 139)
- Go south-west from the starting point and open the door, then head into the lava at the south-west corner here. Follow this path up to some health bonuses, medikits, rockets, a computer area map, and a teleporter. (sector 190)
- The teleporter in secret #6 takes you to the ledge with shotgun guys and a supercharge. (sector 69)
- West of the yellow key pillar, drop into the lava and head around the marble pillar for a lion switch. Pressing it lowers the pillar, but to get it, you have to go back up using the path outlined by armor and health bonuses. The pillar contains a BFG9000. (sector 155)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 19, 2022.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 254)
- facing west. (thing 255)
- facing west. (thing 256)
- facing north. (thing 257)
- facing west. (thing 258)
- facing south. (thing 259)