E2M2: Mars Outpost (The Classic Episode)
|The Classic Episode maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
In the starting area, head left (west) and flip the switch to open the wall in the starting area which gives access for the whole level. There are three keys in the level. You can get the red and yellow ones any time you want.
In the starting area, go north to the open hallway. Head left to the staircase leading outside. Drop down into nukage pit and head through the alcove. Step to the safer place and press the switch in the next room to lower the lift behind. Use the lift and head right to the chlorine green room and flip the lever there. Get back by either dropping down or reusing the lift. Find new alcove open. In the dark room, head north and walk upstairs. Walk into room with blue floor and take the red keycard. Backtrack via the dark room. Go outside and use the teleporter to get back to the starting room.
From the starting area proceed to very north of the level, into outside area with nukage. Walk on the safe path and press the green button in the alcove. This will temporarily lower the pillar with the key. Take the keycard and backtrack to the starting room.
Open the red bars (if you have the red key). It is optional to press these two green buttons. Proceed into the alcove and use the teleporter. Enter a small room with the blue key and take it. The light in the room will turn off and a trap will open. Leave this room and jump down.
When you have all the keys you can open the blue bars. Enter the room and head right (north). Turn left and open the yellow bars. Press the switch and backtrack to see the northern wall open. There is a little ambush. Dispatch with shotgun guys and use the exit for the end.
Other points of interest
- In the southern part of the level, use the lift. Behind the computer, you may notice the switch atop. You can activate it. Once you have done, grab the security armor. (sector 140) You also now have access to the starting place.
- Once you got the red key, in the starting room, open the red bars. Press the leftmost (northern) button. After that, quickly enter the alcove and head into the teleport. Get the rocket launcher until the crate below it rises. (sector 52)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:33||Adam Williamson||2001-03-28||cl22-133.zip|
|UV max||02:32||Radek Pecka||2001-04-12||cl22-232.zip|
|UV -fast||04:11||M. Phoenix Dailey (Archy)||2012-03-11||cf22-411.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 4)
- facing south. (thing 5)
- facing south-west. (thing 6)
- facing west. (thing 7)
- facing east. (thing 98)
Inspiration and development
The level was originally released as a standalone WAD titled Doom Classic 5: Mars outpost, initially hosted on Anthony Soto's personal homepage starting July 17, 2000. On July 22, 2000 he uploaded v1.1 to the idgames archive which made some lighting and texture alignment fixes.
The Classic Episode update makes several changes for a third version of the level.
- Added health
- Updated a floor lower/raise linedef type to instead use a platform special
- Fixed some sky visual glitches
- Moved a crate near the blue key that was close to a deathmatch start
- Removed a demon and a shotgun guy from the start area
- Relocate red key bars
- Swapped the chainsaw with a berserk item
- Additional unspecified changes called "miscellaneous"