E2M3: Nightmares (Masters of Chaos)
|Masters of Chaos maps|
|Episode 1: The Dark Tower|
Episode 2: Hellbound
|Episode 3: Shadowlands|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Turn around and follow the path behind you to a tree surrounded by braziers. Approach the tree and you will be suddenly find yourself in a green tunnel; follow it north to be transported to a fenced area surrounded by trees. Press both switches in front of you to lower an Ethereal Crossbow and a Quiver of Ethereal Arrows, then climb the steps to another teleporter. You will be sent to a chamber containing two iron liches; kill one of them and you will automatically be sent to a hedge maze.
To escape the maze you must find five switches that will lower the bars blocking the exit; as you move, watch out for nightmares which can only be seen and injured when they get into melee range. The turnings you will need to make are provided below, but use the automap if you get lost. Alternatively, following the right-hand wall will eventually lead you around most of the maze.
- Right, second right, three lefts, right, left (collect a Tome of Power here), three rights, three lefts, second right, five rights. Press the first switch here and turn around.
- Four lefts, second left, three rights, second left, left. Press the second switch here and turn around.
- Three rights, first right, second right, left, second right, two lefts, four rights, three lefts. Press the third switch here and turn around.
- Four rights, five lefts, three rights, two lefts, right, two lefts, first left, two lefts, right. Press the fourth switch here and turn around.
- Left, two rights, three lefts, three rights, second right, two lefts, three rights. Press the final switch here and turn around.
- Three lefts, two rights, left, right to the exit.
After leaving the maze, head straight forward and try to open the gate ahead, which will send you to another tunnel ending with a white light. Head towards it until you find yourself in an area with three water-filled tunnels. Slay the sabreclaws approaching from the west, then go down the south tunnel and round the corner into a dark room. As you enter, five pillars will lower in front of you to release undead warrior ghosts. After slaying them, press the switch in the west alcove and then enter the teleporter in the north-east corner to return to the central area.
Take the north tunnel this time and follow the corner to a room with six passages. Most of the passages have hidden teleporters which will send you back to the start of the room; take the second passage from the left then the third passage from the right, and press the switch at the end. Return to the central area and head down the west tunnel where a barrier has lowered, and follow it until the scene changes again.
You will be on a path with blue candles on either side; a Torch may be needed if the passage is too dark to see. Walk between the candles (stepping outside them will drop you into an inescapable pit) until you reach a lit chamber, then head east or west and follow the passages round to another lit chamber, then head north down some steps into a dark tunnel which contains more nightmares (if you are using a Torch, it will reveal nightmares even if they are out of range). Turn left at the junction ahead, then right at the next junction and left at the junction after that. Follow the passage here and you will be teleported yet again.
The way out
You will be in a fenced outdoor area facing a maulotaur; use the ammo pickups in the corners of the arena to help you destroy it. Once the maulotaur dies a teleporter will lower by the western fence; step into it and follow the tunnel to a white light, sending you to a square chamber. Turn around and press the switch here to rise into a cross-shaped room.
Go into the east tunnel and throw the switch at the end, which will lower the bars blocking the other passages. The passage you use will decide which hazards you face.
- The north passage leads to a narrow staircase. When you are halfway up the stairs, the wall ahead will open to reveal two iron liches.
- The west passage leads to a tunnel with several crushing ceilings.
- The south passage leads to an enclosed area that has numerous crusher traps; watch out for brightly-lit squares and run across them if you have to step on them. Despite the fences, there is only one route through the room.
Regardless of which path you choose, you will find yourself in another dark area surrounded by candles. Head straight forward, watching out for three nightmares blocking the path, and you will be teleported back to the starting area. A wall has opened on your right, leading to a trident symbol guarded by four more nightmares. Follow the fence round until you find an opening, and step on the trident to finish the level.
Other points of interest
The hedge maze contains several pickups if you are prepared to explore, including a Dragon Claw which can be found by the third switch in the directions above.
After navigating the first dark path with candles, you will descend some steps into a tunnel. Go straight ahead instead of turning left at the first junction; the passage will lead you to a Hellstaff. Watch out for two nightmares which are released from a nearby alcove.
There are no official secrets on this map.
Areas / screenshots
As this level does not contain official secrets, the NM 100S category is redundant.
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on February 21, 2022.